follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
So what kind of deals you have on the carbotechs, Mike? What about rotors and braided lines? Do you guys offer combos with pads, rotors, lines?
I'm sure sales can put something together for you. I'm the driver... I have a CSG name, but I'm here as an enthusiast (hence, why I only post in the track and suspension subforums... and sometimes socal).

I'll tell them to PM you.

IMO, just reuse your stock rotors till you have to replace them. That's what we did.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
solidONE (03-22-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
On that note, I think with ducting, we'd be able to get away with using XP8 on the AP Racing Sprint kits... at least at most tracks.
Really, wow! XP8's were overmatched in my 1999 M3 for the track, but my FR-S is ~500 lbs lighter, so I may need to readjust my thinking a little for this car. Thinking WAY back, my ~2700 lb 318ti did fine on the track with Carbotech Panther Plus pads (out of date, but < XP8).

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Really, wow! XP8's were overmatched in my 1999 M3 for the track, but my FR-S is ~500 lbs lighter, so I may need to readjust my thinking a little for this car. Thinking WAY back, my ~2700 lb 318ti did fine on the track with Carbotech Panther Plus pads (out of date, but < XP8).
We're currently running XP12 with our BBK. I know for a fact that XP8 wouldn't survive for us, even with the BBK. The brake ducts.... is just speculation right now.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Black Tire (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
Fleshy

Drives: Slow and ugly
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

What do you guys think of the new Mobil 1 oil they got at Walmart? The fuel conserving kind. Is it crap? The oil filter should last through the track day. I plan on upping the viscosity to 0w-30 for the trackday then bringing my car for the complimentary 1000mile oil change at the dealer soon after.
If you can get you hands on some mobil 1 extended performance it is the best of the mobil 1 syn line IMHO (ran it and then redline in my subies for years) but then again i don't think it's available in 0w-30 which sucks.
Fleshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
Black Tire

Garage
Quote:
We're currently running XP12 with our BBK. I know for a fact that XP8 wouldn't survive for us, even with the BBK. The brake ducts.... is just speculation right now.
Thanks, I ordered a set of CL RC6 pads for use with the stock brake calipers and rotors [aftermarket tires] for June when, hopefully, the mounds of snow currently on the ground here in MN will be gone.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
Fleshy

Quote:
Whew i just ordered some XP12's over the 8's thank goodness.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #35
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshy View Post
If you can get you hands on some mobil 1 extended performance it is the best of the mobil 1 syn line IMHO (ran it and then redline in my subies for years) but then again i don't think it's available in 0w-30 which sucks.
I think they do come in a 5w-30 in their standard Mobil 1 formula and a 0w-30 in a racing formula that is cost about double the standard formula. May consider running the 5w-30.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Fleshy

Quote:
I think they do come in a 5w-30 in their standard Mobil 1 formula and a 0w-30 in a racing formula that is cost about double the standard formula. May consider running the 5w-30.
Just watch your cats (if you still got 'em) if running the mobil 1 racing. If you do go 5w-30 go with the extended performance vs standard or advanced fuel economy.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
Black Tire

Garage
Quote:
I would suggest sticking with 0W-30. Read here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-102/

Perhaps Amsoil 0W-30 Signature (what I will be using on the track) or Redline 0W-30 would cost less. I think the Mobil 1 M1-104 oil filter is one of the best out there for our car for the track right now, and it's not too expensive.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
Fleshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
I would suggest sticking with 0W-30. Read here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-102/

Perhaps Amsoil 0W-30 Signature (what I will be using on the track) or Redline 0W-30 would cost less. I think the Mobil 1 M1-104 oil filter is one of the best out there for our car for the track right now, and it's not too expensive.
Interesting article backs up my 0w-30 vs 5w-30 argument.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #39
diirk

Drives: 4Runner
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
There's some great info and opinions here. I'll happily add my own.

For oil, I'd stick with the recommended Weight. Brand is open really. Any synthetic is decent, especially if doing service more often then spec'd.

I ran a couple of track days on stock pads and a few on Stoptechs. With stock tires, both work fine. No fade, no issues, but disabling the traction control makes a big difference, otherwise you'll definately overheat your pads and fluid.

For pressure I run about 30psi cold. I check pressure immediately after getting off the track and adjust accordingly.

I would recommend some crash bolts for the front to dial in some negative camber.

waiting on a Neptune Premium MT
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diirk For This Useful Post:
amram (04-28-2014), solidONE (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshy View Post
Just watch your cats (if you still got 'em) if running the mobil 1 racing. If you do go 5w-30 go with the extended performance vs standard or advanced fuel economy.
Why? How does the mobil 1 racing oil effect the catalytic converter? Not that I plan on using it... just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
There's some great info and opinions here. I'll happily add my own.

For oil, I'd stick with the recommended Weight. Brand is open really. Any synthetic is decent, especially if doing service more often then spec'd.

I ran a couple of track days on stock pads and a few on Stoptechs. With stock tires, both work fine. No fade, no issues, but disabling the traction control makes a big difference, otherwise you'll definately overheat your pads and fluid.

For pressure I run about 30psi cold. I check pressure immediately after getting off the track and adjust accordingly.

I would recommend some crash bolts for the front to dial in some negative camber.
Crash bolts. Subaru # 901000394 , correct? I'll be stopping by the Subaru parts department first thing tomorrow for these bolts and a oil filter.

What were your hot temps F/R for reference? While driving my car at a spirited pace after work today, I noticed a bit of push at turn in, so I'll definitely be looking into dialing some of that out before hitting the track. I'm sure the crash bolts and some adjustment with the front tire pressure should help with that. Although I'm sure the stock michelins has a lot say about that as well.

As far as the pads go, I'm set on the Stoptechs for now. With a 1200 MOT (according to D1cker) they should handle track duty much better than the stock's 600-700 MOT (according to CSG Mike). They will be running CW on SoW at the trackday. Shouldn't be to hard on the brakes from what I can tell.

Pretty amped. This will be my first track day in a car since the 90's. LOL EXCITE!

Edit: I think I saw somewhere that the stock strut bolts are 16mm diameter? If so, this would be the same size as the RSX. I happen to have access to some RSX camber bolts that should fit.

Last edited by solidONE; 03-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
Fleshy

Quote:
Why? How does the mobil 1 racing oil effect the catalytic converter? Not that I plan on using it... just curious.

Supposedly it is due to higher than normal zddp in the oil. even mobil says not to run it with cats but do not go into detail.