follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Learning ECU Tuning Yourself

Hey guys! I'm somewhat new to the FA20 platform as I have been around GM engines all my life. When I bought the BRZ a few months ago, I told myself I would try and learn to do everything myself including maintenance and basic repairs.

I am a shift worker and I do have some free time and was looking into learning how to tune myself.

I'm from Canada so my options are limited. Not sure if there are tuners are there who actually offer hands-on classes but I stumbled across HP Academy and was wondering if any of you had experience with them. You can pay by course and they also offer a starter learning class bundle.

https://www.hpacademy.com/

I was wondering if this was a good idea and if they cover the Ecutek software properly. A lot of schools focus on HPTuners but this one seems a little more general.

Since there are absolutely zero tuners in my area, this could also be a good way to make good money on the side when I am confident enough to work on someone else's car.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
gt7877

Drives: turbo frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
U r at open source platform
No need for hpt

There is lots of titles here explained everything

Just use searsh option to find what ever u need to know

And the easy way for stage1-2
OFT ots maps for 2012+

Tactrx openport 2.0 cable

Ecuflash
Romrider
gt7877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Learning tuning itself is more of understanding the principles of what values generally you're going to need to adjust and what effect they have on the performance/drivability of the car.
Tuning isn't about knowing what the best AF/R is for power and pasting it across the whole map; I would suggest starting out by talking to some tuners and ask what generally they start looking at first in order to " tune" an engine. Maybe look up some guides on basic tuning with the platform you're into, and any time you see a phrase you can't say " I understand what that does and directly can affect", you look it up exhaustively. Like "LTFT" or "Injector Pulse-Width"

Learning how to tune yourself takes years and years of trial and error- something that's best not learned on a car you truly love.
I'm not intending to come across as discouraging or condescending - it's an arduous, stressful, long road that never ends.

EDIT::
Huh, HPAcademy has a giveaway going on. GIVEAWAY: ECUMaster PMU + Training Courses

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 08-12-2020 at 04:10 PM.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-05-2020), SUSPECT_BRZ (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7877 View Post
U r at open source platform
No need for hpt

There is lots of titles here explained everything

Just use searsh option to find what ever u need to know

And the easy way for stage1-2
OFT ots maps for 2012+

Tactrx openport 2.0 cable

Ecuflash
Romrider
I am aware HPTuner is not needed for this platform, as somewhat stated above. Just wanted to focus on a course explaining Ecutek more in details as I would like to specialize with this software! Will check the forum for sure once I understand the basics. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Learning tuning itself is more of understanding the principles of what values generally you're going to need to adjust and what effect they have on the performance/drivability of the car.
Tuning isn't about knowing what the best AF/R is for power and pasting it across the whole map; I would suggest starting out by talking to some tuners and ask what generally they start looking at first in order to " tune" an engine. Maybe look up some guides on basic tuning with the platform you're into, and any time you see a phrase you can't say " I understand what that does and directly can affect", you look it up exhaustively. Like "LTFT" or "Injector Pulse-Width"

Learning how to tune yourself takes years and years of trial and error- something that's best not learned on a car you truly love.
I'm not intending to come across as discouraging or condescending - it's an arduous, stressful, long road that never ends.

EDIT::
Huh, HPAcademy has a giveaway going on. GIVEAWAY: ECUMaster PMU + Training Courses
Thanks for you insight! I could not agree with you more. Tuning is an art that is mastered over years of work, that's for sure. I would love to learn the basics and at least understand what I'm looking at. I know Delicious tuning make great tunes for our platform, so I guess I could get one from them and at least monitor the numbers myself until I am confident enough to do my own tuning. It is something I would really like to learn, at least how to base tune and make the car a little more fun to drive.

Or I could get a shitbox and tune it myself....decisions decisions....
The Following User Says Thank You to SUSPECT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
SUSPECT_BRZ: problem is that most commercial tuners lock their tunes. You'll be able to monitor only result, not how they got there. Imho you'd be better off with OFT OTS tunes as base for self education
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
SUSPECT_BRZ: problem is that most commercial tuners lock their tunes. You'll be able to monitor only result, not how they got there. Imho you'd be better off with OFT OTS tunes as base for self education
Right, I forgot about that detail. The thing with OFT is that I eventually want to go forced induction so Ecutek would definitely be the best option.

Can you tune yourself using OFT?

I don't know...I really want to learn but maybe it's something better left in the hands of a professional. Wouldn't want to blow my engine with trial and error...
Old 08-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FWIW I bet there are a few that learnt on this platform. If you see Steve99 and Wayno mentioned, I'm pretty sure they learnt here, I did as well (on a supercharged car). I used both EcuTek and Romraider. The benefit with Romraider and OFT/Stock ROMs is that you can look at maps and learn/research with no investment and these can be flashed with OFT or Tactrix. EcuTek needs money spending to get the basic package and even more to get the RaceROM upgrade to open up more tuning abilities but it's well worth it if boost is the end goal.

The ECU and engine setup is modern so, on an NA, there is very little that you could do wrong unless you go crazy changing stuff with no understanding due to the knock protection. HP Academy is pretty good and comprehensive. Mix that with some reading on Romraider, as the ECU is similar to other Scoobies, and on here. NASIOC is a good place to google for answers and this is a good file to have to hand:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1626520

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Compelica (09-11-2020), Flukester (08-17-2020), gt7877 (08-13-2020), Plumbus (09-12-2020), Spuds (09-05-2020), SUSPECT_BRZ (08-13-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
MiraCorta

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
Hey guys! I'm somewhat new to the FA20 platform as I have been around GM engines all my life. When I bought the BRZ a few months ago, I told myself I would try and learn to do everything myself including maintenance and basic repairs.

I am a shift worker and I do have some free time and was looking into learning how to tune myself.

I'm from Canada so my options are limited. Not sure if there are tuners are there who actually offer hands-on classes but I stumbled across HP Academy and was wondering if any of you had experience with them. You can pay by course and they also offer a starter learning class bundle.

I was wondering if this was a good idea and if they cover the Ecutek software properly. A lot of schools focus on HPTuners but this one seems a little more general.

Since there are absolutely zero tuners in my area, this could also be a good way to make good money on the side when I am confident enough to work on someone else's car.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Education is hard work. Also, if you have any problems, you can always turn to https://edubirdie.com/college-term-paper for help. Educational resources make life easier.

Regards

They have quite legit courses.

Last edited by MiraCorta; 09-02-2020 at 05:41 AM.
MiraCorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:35 AM   #10
dholloway543
Software Hobbiest

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
This isnt an end all be all but can be a very good place to start. lol giving this guy free advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/c/learntotune/videos

He has good tuning basics and theory videos but you have to search for them because there is no playlist.

You show the paid version of it which is very in depth. If you want to have the understandings on what things change and test around yourself then he posts lots of free videos on his youtube channel.
dholloway543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #11
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholloway543 View Post
This isnt an end all be all but can be a very good place to start. lol giving this guy free advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/c/learntotune/videos

He has good tuning basics and theory videos but you have to search for them because there is no playlist.

You show the paid version of it which is very in depth. If you want to have the understandings on what things change and test around yourself then he posts lots of free videos on his youtube channel.
Thanks for the information. I will definitely have a look and start learning this winter. It's definitely something I want to get into. The information is out there but I need to start with the basics. I will start with the free stuff and then evaluate if paid courses are worth it.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
FWIW, EcuTek comes with extensive documentation not only for the general software, but as EcuTek applies to the 86 platform specifically.

I also learned how to tune here. I started with a tactrix cable, EcuFlash, and RomRaider using OFT definitions. NASIOC is a great resource, but EcuTek has its own specific quirks on top of that general information. Make sure you read EcuTek docs top to bottom before diving in.
SUSPECT_BRZ (09-23-2020)