follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #43
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I kind of span the gap - while I do have a set of dedicated track wheels/tires, I don't drag them to the track with me. I change them at home where it's convenient to do so. Yeah, the tires get a little more wear and tear with the drive to the track, but it's minimal and makes no real difference to me, since I'm lapping just for my own sheer amusement and not competing with anyone specifically.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #44
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Don't forget that it's easy to end up comparing the best of a Max Perf category with a 'meh' tire in the Extreme group. The difference will be even less pronounced, and once you consider how each tire ages when driven on the street, the gap is again reduced. An MPSS or Conti Extreme wouldn't be far off from the lower end of the next group up when new, and could easily end up performing virtually the same after several thousand miles of street use/heat cycling.
I had the opposite experience. The MPSS I got for the FD lost any semblance of grip within 2 years. I've had Extreme Perf and DOT R-comps maintain much better grip over a longer period of time.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #45
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I had the opposite experience. The MPSS I got for the FD lost any semblance of grip within 2 years. I've had Extreme Perf and DOT R-comps maintain much better grip over a longer period of time.

Over the same time and distance driven? Seems counter-intuitive, but I'll file that as an interesting data point. Certainly does nothing to dispel what I consider to be a myth that Michelin makes anything other than mediocre tires while charging ridiculous amounts for them.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #46
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So I ended up with the allseason Michelin as3+ tires.

There are trips to the northern US during winter so I needed to be prepared.

But I am disappointed with them. It drives like the Old Man's Buick. And not the Regal GS.

One poster commented on his experience - it's lost the slot car feel. This is an absolutely spot-on observation.

My plan is to get a set of Summer tires and a second set of wheels next Spring. Then I'll have both seasonal needs covered.

Ge
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #47
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
So I ended up with the allseason Michelin as3+ tires.

There are trips to the northern US during winter so I needed to be prepared.

But I am disappointed with them. It drives like the Old Man's Buick. And not the Regal GS.

One poster commented on his experience - it's lost the slot car feel. This is an absolutely spot-on observation.

My plan is to get a set of Summer tires and a second set of wheels next Spring. Then I'll have both seasonal needs covered.

Ge
as3's are not worth it when general winter tires are dirt cheap and exceptional in the snow.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #48
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I live in metro Atlanta and snow tires aren't needed. But it does get cold in the winter Temps in the 30's are common and outside of most summer tires suggested operating range.

Lots of those infamous snow jams are likely the outcome of people running summer tires in a few inches of snow. Plus the underlying ice that accompanies mist of our winter events.

I'll get summer tires and fresh rims next year and be good to go. As a bonus, my tires will last longer!
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #49
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry for thread revival, but for those that switched from stock primicies to the Michelin PS4S, which of the two tires were louder? Specifically on the highway.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #50
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
Sorry for thread revival, but for those that switched from stock primicies to the Michelin PS4S, which of the two tires were louder? Specifically on the highway.

Thanks.

My PSS are quieter than the Primacies. Softer rubber is my guess why. I'd venture the PS4S will be as well for the same reason.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n (09-10-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #51
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Quote:

Thanks.

Even a wider 245/40/17 PS4S was less road noise than the primacys for me. It's not dramatic but definitely noticeable given the lack of sound deadening in the car.
I did however take a marginal fuel economy hit... stickier tires but also driving a bit more "aggressive" in the warmer months.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #52
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
Even a wider 245/40/17 PS4S was less road noise than the primacys for me. It's not dramatic but definitely noticeable given the lack of sound deadening in the car.

I did however take a marginal fuel economy hit... stickier tires but also driving a bit more "aggressive" in the warmer months.
Thanks for the input. I hope that reduced road noise translates to the highway. At this point I don't even think about fuel economy since e85 has me getting 18-21mpg. As long as it's not down to 15mpg LOL. Plus not even driving much at all during covid.

Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #53
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
In my experience "sticky" tires don't cost much if anything in terms of fuel mileage. It's not like they're drag slicks on a compounded launch pad at the strip (where there is *significant* adhesion). I regularly got 30-32 mpg on the highway with 245 RE71Rs. Now on less sticky Conti ECS 245s, mileage is identical as near as I can tell.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #54
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,130 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks.

I didn't notice much of a difference. Quieter if anything but not something I could measure.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote