follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #22135
thedollarbill

Drives: 13 ZN6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S View Post
Enjoy those. Those are extremely hard to come by. How much did you get them for (in terms of USD)?
Yeah... I was almost gunna just bite the bullet and import the TRD paintmatched ones got so lucky.

I paid 600 USD shipped to my door. (I would say pretty good deal in my books)

instagram: @sllygoos
thedollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thedollarbill For This Useful Post:
KR-S (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 06:14 PM   #22136
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedollarbill View Post
Yeah... I was almost gunna just bite the bullet and import the TRD paintmatched ones got so lucky.

I paid 600 USD shipped to my door. (I would say pretty good deal in my books)
Considering the rarity of TRD CF Fins I'd say that's quite a steal and what I'd definitely pay for them. Awesome find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
thedollarbill (07-14-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #22137
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Kind of a funny story.

There's only 1 E85 pump in my state. Not one station, one pump within the station (one on each side of the unit), but one of the sides pumps so slowly, it takes about 5 minutes to fill up.

So I go there to fill up and a guy in a pickup truck is using the good side. I park in the bad side and decide to just wait for him to finish. He does, then proceeds to drive about 4 feet and then just stops. Half way in the bay, half way out. A good few minutes go by and now my pride is in question. I can't fill up at the bad bay, I just wasted all that time as it is, and he isn't moving.

So I decide to be a passive aggressive douche, and flip an aggressive 180 (cause I accidentally parked the wrong direction for where the gas cap is), and park in the bad bay, and walk to his side and take the good pump and start filling the car.

He sticks his head out and says something like "you got a problem?" I return with "no, this is the only good pump. the other one is slow as hell".

Then he says "oh, i'll get it fixed." This confuses me so I inquire if he knows the owner and he says "no, I'm the owner. This is my gas station". He was sitting there cause some idiot (see: me) parked in his station and wasn't doing anything and it sketched him out.

So hooray, I pissed off the only provider of E85 in my state. /story.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (07-17-2020), humfrz (07-17-2020), soundman98 (07-17-2020), Tcoat (07-17-2020), trvth (07-22-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #22138
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celica00 View Post
Kind of a funny story.
Neat story ya told there.

Sometimes ya just never know.

Sorry, reminds me of a back-in-the-day story.

It was a hot day in June, in California, when I went down to survey a 130 acre piece of property that my company had just purchased to develop into an agricultural research station.

In a group of migrant houses on the property, there was this old beat-up pickup truck and some dude in dirty, torn bib-overalls. He was tearing the indoor-outdoor carpeting (which looked new) out of the migrant shacks.

I approached him, introduced myself as a representative of the company that now owns this property. He said that he had just installed the carpeting a week ago and figured that the new owner wouldn't mind if he took it.

I asked him his name and he said it was Nick Tikvica. The name rang a bell as the person that we had bought the property from for the sum if 1.3 million dollars (which in 1968 was a tidy sum of money). I told him that he could have it.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2012/01/...-in-sunnyvale/

Right then in there, that made me a believer that you just "can't judge a book by it's cover", especially in California -

THE END
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Celica00 (07-17-2020), Impureclient (07-20-2020), soundman98 (07-17-2020), ToySub1946 (07-19-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 03:39 AM   #22139
suzyj

Drives: 2018 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I booked mine in for it’s 60,000km service.

I think this is the last subsidised one, which means it’s also the last to be done by the dealer.
suzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #22140
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I checked the odometer the other day and it said 174,000 miles. Wow, that's alot I thought. Maybe i should do some maintenance. So I bought a new serpentine belt. Went to install it and had second thoughts. There's really absolutely nothing wrong with the old one. Looks good, doesn't make any noise, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
To replace it looks pretty simple. Remove four 10mm screws from the alternator and the AC covers, then loosen the tensioner and thread in the new belt. Should take about 5 minutes.
So. I put the new belt with a 10mm and 14mm wrench under the "back seat" along with the OFT. Along with a routing diagram for the belt. If or when it breaks, then I will fix it.
I've only had one serpentine belt break on me and it was not that big of a deal. I was driving an RX-7 at the time down a back road almost home. Looked in the rear view mirror and I was billowing smoke. WTF? Then all of the idiot lights came on and the smoke stopped. The car was still running so I continued home. Opened the hood and what happened was the idler pully seized and melted the belt. Gave it some WD 40 and a new belt and was good as new.

Now if it was a timing belt, well that's a completely different matter. I've had two of those break in my time. First was on a CRX Si. The car quit running at a traffic light and turned out it was the timing belt. It did no damage at all. Just had to replace the belt. The second time (I never learn) on a GTI. Bent 19 of 20 valves.

That's one of my favorite things about this engine. I doesn't have a fukn rubber band keeping the engine from self destructing.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #22141
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I checked the odometer the other day and it said 174,000 miles. Wow, that's alot I thought. Maybe i should do some maintenance. So I bought a new serpentine belt. Went to install it and had second thoughts. There's really absolutely nothing wrong with the old one. Looks good, doesn't make any noise, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
To replace it looks pretty simple. Remove four 10mm screws from the alternator and the AC covers, then loosen the tensioner and thread in the new belt. Should take about 5 minutes.
So. I put the new belt with a 10mm and 14mm wrench under the "back seat" along with the OFT. Along with a routing diagram for the belt. If or when it breaks, then I will fix it.
I've only had one serpentine belt break on me and it was not that big of a deal. I was driving an RX-7 at the time down a back road almost home. Looked in the rear view mirror and I was billowing smoke. WTF? Then all of the idiot lights came on and the smoke stopped. The car was still running so I continued home. Opened the hood and what happened was the idler pully seized and melted the belt. Gave it some WD 40 and a new belt and was good as new.

Now if it was a timing belt, well that's a completely different matter. I've had two of those break in my time. First was on a CRX Si. The car quit running at a traffic light and turned out it was the timing belt. It did no damage at all. Just had to replace the belt. The second time (I never learn) on a GTI. Bent 19 of 20 valves.

That's one of my favorite things about this engine. I doesn't have a fukn rubber band keeping the engine from self destructing.
174,000 miles... WOW

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #22142
JonnyObnoxious

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I was driving an RX-7 at the time down a back road almost home. Looked in the rear view mirror and I was billowing smoke. WTF? Then all of the idiot lights came on and the smoke stopped. The car was still running so I continued home. Opened the hood and what happened was the idler pully seized and melted the belt. Gave it some WD 40 and a new belt and was good as new.

174,000? Nice I'm at 115k.

I had that exact same thing happen in an LS400. Idle pully seized while driving and ate the belt. Had to run on battery to a parts shop and swapped it out in the lot.

I don't know much of anything about this FRS yet.
JonnyObnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #22143
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

Many auto parts stores have a box of free serpentine belt checker tools up by the counter to check the depth, as well as for cracks in the rubber that will lead to chunking. I highly recommend grabbing one and checking the belt. Because while it's not as critical as a timing belt, it will only break when you haven't got the time to deal with it.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #22144
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Got my tire replaced. 2,600 miles and got a fat nail right next to the sidewall on the driver side rear. So I had to spend over $200 on one of these stupid OEM tires lol.

Luckily, I was able to get a manufacture refund of $105 from Michelin, so it really only cost me about $120 shipped installed everything said and done.

Idk why these things cost more than 265 width Michelin P4S
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-18-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #22145
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Club drive to a destination 2 and a half hours away.

Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:08 PM   #22146
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Club drive to a destination 2 and a half hours away.

The car with the bonnet up looks interesting, is it a special colour?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #22147
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
The car with the bonnet up looks interesting, is it a special colour?
The owner got it repainted. Similar to the tone of Porsche's Baby Blue but with a lighter shade.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Compelica For This Useful Post:
JD001 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:56 AM   #22148
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Well, earlier today a very special package arrived in the mail. My search is finally over.

Name:  TRD fins.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  272.5 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (07-22-2020)

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby