follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #29
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When you price out everything you will actually need it ends up being more like 10k to boost your car. You will need the SC, EcuTek license/tune, oil cooler, clutch, clutch fork, catch can, engine mounts, gauge mounts, gauges, and labor to install it all. When you have spent that much it only makes sense to do headers and exhaust, too. And there is a lot more you could do to make it truly reliable.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #30
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
When you price out everything you will actually need it ends up being more like 10k to boost your car. You will need the SC, EcuTek license/tune, oil cooler, clutch, clutch fork, catch can, engine mounts, gauge mounts, gauges, and labor to install it all. When you have spent that much it only makes sense to do headers and exhaust, too. And there is a lot more you could do to make it truly reliable.
You really don’t need majority of that. Depends entirely on car use, and power lvls.
4k turbo 1k tune. At 7-9psi with 91-93octane will run 240-270whp depending on combo. With no other supporting mods needed. Those are all good added insurance for reliability especially if tracking. But for a DD to do a few hwy pulls. You really don’t need anything else. 3-400$ for oil cooler 1-150$ for catch can if you want to drive harder for longer on the street.
People would be surprised how easy it is to DIY this if they just tried, most kits of simple step by step instructions.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
HaXx (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #31
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
But you can't blow shit up!

Well, you can I guess. Once.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:29 AM   #32
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
I appreciate the different perspectives shared so far. Just to clarify:

-I will use the car as a DD and for monthly/semi-monthly autocross.

-I would not be installing it. The all in cost with install+tune+Jr dual oil cooler would be 5200-$6000.

-I guess my main concern is not spending more money, but dumping more money into an 86. No matter what, it will always be an entry level Toyota.

-It has been dead reliable in the 40k miles IÂ’ve driven it. I donÂ’t want it to be my life, spending weekends troubleshooting boost leaks, part failure etc.

LetÂ’s say itÂ’s a $45k Toyota after all my mods+a replacement engine. ThatÂ’s too much to spend/reserve for the 86 imo. I truly feel like IÂ’m at a crossroad where I either cut my losses and get something else or gamble with the 86.

BUT the fact that itÂ’s been reliable so far makes me think it could potentially handle boost.

Basically, IÂ’m a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. You know, only you can make this decision. Nobody is going to understand from a forum post what makes you tick, what makes you happy, what's worth it to you, etc. You know all the variables, no one else.

The worst thing to do is get paralysis over it and do nothing. Life is too short to waste being a mess over procrastinating supercharging and dumping money into a s-box car or moving on to a different platform. Both could end up the right answer. Both could end up the wrong answer. It depends only on you. But, moving forward with something is almost always better that procrastinating to that point.

Reading your thoughts, it doesn't sound like heavy investment and modifications to a cheap DD vehicle, and any perceived reduction in reliability as a result, are your thing. And if you are in a position to have to pay someone everytime something goes wrong, or you don't enjoy the occasional issue as a fun weekend (or late night after work) project to diagnose, it may be better for you to move onto a different platform and gamble that the OEM reliability you get will be better. The 86 isn't anything special. There are lots of fun, OEM cars out there to replace it. But this is all up to you.

For me, I bought the entry level 86 as my DD with the plan to extensively modify everything and knowing it could lead to engine, trans or other major failures. It's all ok with me because cars to me are a life-long love and hobby. If and when the motor blows, I will build it to handle more power. This is the way I am, I know it well and nobody else could answer what is right for me or change my mind. I am now in my entry level 86 $20k deeper than when I bought it used. Could I have bought a more expensive normal DD like 99% of people in LA driving around in entry level C, 3 or P cars for the same cost as what I have in the 86 now, of course. Would I have been happy, no. Thats because I know what makes me tick. I preferred to build soemthing different and build the exact car I wanted. And the 86 was the right base for me.

Regarding " upgrading cars", my other DD street car is a C6z06. It makes 600hp with minimal mods. It also has basic suspension and brake mods. Realistically, the day I bought it stock, it could have been called "done". Stock, it did everything better than the modded 86, and now modified, the modded 86 has even less chance. It gets more looks, more thumbs up and more conversation at the pump, if that is something an owner wants from a car. The only thing the 86 does better than the Z06 is pull into a parking spot faster. Wait, actually it does do something better. It continues to provide me a long list of fun and rewarding projects to keep me occupied, get my mind off life's other stresses and teach my 11 year old (who is now an Initial d maniac and wants an AE86). So while my entry level Toyota 86 will never "out brake", never "out handle", never "out accelerate" my "better" z06, to me, it's maybe even more fun than the Z for what makes me tick.

So bottom line here, only you know what's right for you to do. You seem to love cars and finding out where you get the enjoyment from them is what's important. Sorry for the long rant, in the past I used to struggle with the same things.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Z06ZN6 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-23-2020), HachiRokuX (04-26-2020), livingasleep (01-01-2021), Side (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #33
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
A sport bike is a horrible answer to replace a car.
If you want something fast get an F-22 Raptor.
Please, you want speed you want an SR-71 Blackbird, now there's speed.

Quote:
But you can't blow shit up!.
Well, OK, you got me there. Raptor it is, at least until the US Space Force takes delivery of their first X-301!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #34
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZN6 View Post
Hi. You know, only you can make this decision. Nobody is going to understand from a forum post what makes you tick, what makes you happy, what's worth it to you, etc. You know all the variables, no one else.

The worst thing to do is get paralysis over it and do nothing. Life is too short to waste being a mess over procrastinating supercharging and dumping money into a s-box car or moving on to a different platform. Both could end up the right answer. Both could end up the wrong answer. It depends only on you. But, moving forward with something is almost always better that procrastinating to that point.

Reading your thoughts, it doesn't sound like heavy investment and modifications to a cheap DD vehicle, and any perceived reduction in reliability as a result, are your thing. And if you are in a position to have to pay someone everytime something goes wrong, or you don't enjoy the occasional issue as a fun weekend (or late night after work) project to diagnose, it may be better for you to move onto a different platform and gamble that the OEM reliability you get will be better. The 86 isn't anything special. There are lots of fun, OEM cars out there to replace it. But this is all up to you.

For me, I bought the entry level 86 as my DD with the plan to extensively modify everything and knowing it could lead to engine, trans or other major failures. It's all ok with me because cars to me are a life-long love and hobby. If and when the motor blows, I will build it to handle more power. This is the way I am, I know it well and nobody else could answer what is right for me or change my mind. I am now in my entry level 86 $20k deeper than when I bought it used. Could I have bought a more expensive normal DD like 99% of people in LA driving around in entry level C, 3 or P cars for the same cost as what I have in the 86 now, of course. Would I have been happy, no. Thats because I know what makes me tick. I preferred to build soemthing different and build the exact car I wanted. And the 86 was the right base for me.

Regarding " upgrading cars", my other DD street car is a C6z06. It makes 600hp with minimal mods. It also has basic suspension and brake mods. Realistically, the day I bought it stock, it could have been called "done". Stock, it did everything better than the modded 86, and now modified, the modded 86 has even less chance. It gets more looks, more thumbs up and more conversation at the pump, if that is something an owner wants from a car. The only thing the 86 does better than the Z06 is pull into a parking spot faster. Wait, actually it does do something better. It continues to provide me a long list of fun and rewarding projects to keep me occupied, get my mind off life's other stresses and teach my 11 year old (who is now an Initial d maniac and wants an AE86). So while my entry level Toyota 86 will never "out brake", never "out handle", never "out accelerate" my "better" z06, to me, it's maybe even more fun than the Z for what makes me tick.

So bottom line here, only you know what's right for you to do. You seem to love cars and finding out where you get the enjoyment from them is what's important. Sorry for the long rant, in the past I used to struggle with the same things.
OP, this is some good advice and it made me think about different kind of car people. Z06 is a person like me, that likes the process of doing things, making something better, often with your own hands and generally cheaper. Others, like my brother in law would rather just purchase something ready to go. Neither are right or wrong just depends on you. For example, my brother in law worked very hard to earn the money to get his 911 and then maintain it via a dealership (big money). He still loves the car and sure maybe he does not have the skill to do the work, but at least he knows that about himself.

So his project is about earning enough money to pay for all he mods and stuff necessary for a performance car. His free time is for other things like golf. He can feel good that he is good at his real job and leave the wrenching to the pros.

Where as my project is about learning how to do new things and improving the car little by little (sometimes worse!). This is one of my hobbies and I get that added benefit of feeling good about accomplishing something on my own.

Some people argue over built vs bought, but honestly that’s just BS. It’s about your personality, skill set and how you want to spend your limited time and money.

So which project do you want?
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
B T (04-24-2020), HachiRokuX (04-26-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

Well, OK, you got me there. Raptor it is, at least until the US Space Force takes delivery of their first X-301!
You sound like the 2JZ guys that want to use 30 year old tech!
Dadhawk (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #36
Pgh_Area

Drives: '14 Ultramarine Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You sound like the 2JZ guys that want to use 30 year old tech!
30 year old tech, 30 year old women. Both are 30. Both are fun. What's the problem?
Pgh_Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #37
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
ever heard of the consistent issue they had with one of the engines freezing at altitude while going something like 3200 mph, causing a snap spinout, making the pilot's head hit the inside of the canopy so hard that they passed out?! The main test pilot went out to investigate for himself and surely enough, it spun out, he banged his head and blacked out but regained consciousness before crashing. Balls of steel going up there to trigger something like that on purpose lol
Dadhawk (04-23-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #38
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Can you briefly summarize your setup, please?
Old engine was stock, edelbrock supercharger with stock pulley, DW700 injectors, Delicious tune, Ace A350 header, CSG exhaust, Delicious E85 conversion, Setrab oil cooler. Died while on cruise control on the interstate around 70-75 mph. Short block was entirely unsalvageable.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #39
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I second this. Ace headers and a tune and call it a day. I went Edelbrock on my car; worked well, I did some things that made it even better. The extra power was great but like someone said above you don't use it very often. Good headers get you at least half way there for less than half the price with none of the concerns about installing a window in the block.

Edit: I somehow seconded a post from the second page

Last edited by toast; 04-26-2020 at 10:43 PM.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-27-2020), HachiRokuX (04-26-2020), HaXx (04-26-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #40
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been boosted for nearly 3 years now and at first I felt like you did but now I have no regrets plus a short block and a gently used transmission isn't that expensive at all. I also spent a whole lot less than most people who boost their cars for everything yet I thought that would destroy me for going cheap.

SBD400x 4th of July 2017 sale installed and dyno tuned new was $3900 otd!
Magnaflow CB $575 on sale new
Tanabe catless FP $125 on sale new
Tsudo OP $70 new
Varis vented hood with NACA duct $700(2k new) used.
P3 Boost guage $200 used(400 new)
JDL oil cooler $400 used(675 new)
Radium CC $250

July will make 3 years reliably boosted and I redline the thing everyday.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (04-28-2020), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #41
imprezive

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB - PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Following this because I'm in a similar situation. Thanks to Z06 and Ernest for sharing their thoughts. There are definitely different type of car people. I'm one of the people that doesn't really enjoy "tinkering". I also don't mind paying somebody else to do the work. The end result is what I'm after.
imprezive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #42
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezive View Post
Following this because I'm in a similar situation. Thanks to Z06 and Ernest for sharing their thoughts. There are definitely different type of car people. I'm one of the people that doesn't really enjoy "tinkering". I also don't mind paying somebody else to do the work. The end result is what I'm after.
Counterpoint: I'm at 350+whp, 130+ track days, 50k+ miles, championships and records, and am still on the original engine.

It's all about doing things without shortcutting, and considering if youre just "bolting on parts" or extensively modifying and trying to look at things from an OEM reliability perspective.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote