follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering Rack Lockdown/Bushings

Still in the process of very slowly modifying things on the car to get it to feel exactly the way I want. I have been trying to find reviews and thoughts on the Perrin Steering Rack Lockdowns.

A few people seemed to think it made a nice difference in steering feel and directness, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Another person said that, at first, it felt great and had no negatives. He then went on and said that after 80mi or so trips his hands were going numb from the subtle vibrations of the wheel and the solid rack mounts. I suspect there may be a bit of exaggeration.

So, anyone have thoughts on this product? Benefits, negatives, speculation?
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I literally just installed mine (along with a invidia n1 ti tip exhaust) today.

The improvements to steering input and feel from the front tires is pretty significant.

I can see how one's hands might get numb from just holding on to the steering wheel while driving in a straight line for excessive periods of time considering the "vibrations" have to go somewhere. I use the quotation marks because I don't want people to assume the steering wheel is actually vibrating or shaking in any way.

With that being said, there is energy being transferred to the steering wheel through the rack due to the lesser amounts of flex in the steering rack. Energy, or NVH, has to go somewhere.

As of right now, I'm really happy with the perrin part. Granted, I drive spiritedly regularly and was really impressed with how much more I could feel undulations in the road, etc. through the steering wheel even though the chassis and this car already does a pretty bang on job of doing it from the factory.

If you're worried about your hands potentially going numb, well...lol. I figured for less than 100 bucks and 15 minutes of my time to install the damn things (super easy), why the hell not?

I'm glad I did.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfbmike For This Useful Post:
PERRIN (08-11-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I've had mine (perrin steering rack lock down) on for about 6k miles. Worth it. The steering is much more communicative. I drove 8hrs round trip with no problems. If I were looking for a cheap abd effective mod these are a must.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
PERRIN (08-11-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Apex_BRZ

Bought these last night. . Thanks guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
PERRIN (08-11-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
I have Energy Suspension PU inserts/bushings. They were $15 and made a noticeable difference.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Apex_BRZ

Absolutely love these things. Steering feels a lot better and can definitely feel the road more. Don't really have any complaints. There is a bit of vibration as you hit bumps in the road, but it's not bothersome at all. Car feels like it darts around a lot better and like there is no slack at all in the wheel (not that there was much to begin with).
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
Freeman (08-11-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Still in the process of very slowly modifying things on the car to get it to feel exactly the way I want. I have been trying to find reviews and thoughts on the Perrin Steering Rack Lockdowns.

A few people seemed to think it made a nice difference in steering feel and directness, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Another person said that, at first, it felt great and had no negatives. He then went on and said that after 80mi or so trips his hands were going numb from the subtle vibrations of the wheel and the solid rack mounts. I suspect there may be a bit of exaggeration.

So, anyone have thoughts on this product? Benefits, negatives, speculation?
I just installed the Delrin inserts from turn in concepts. They actually reduce vibration while turning in instantly. No over-corrections! There was always some hesitation cutting into a sharp corner, than backing off because the rubber decompresses and over-corrects. These are cheap and easy to install and make the biggest difference dollar for dollar, then anything else. You also need to re-align the car afterwards, since the rack might move some during the installation.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote