follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
darkbluemn

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Paid $800+ for wheel speed sensor issue, but the issue came back. What should I do?

Update 02/05/2018:
The issue came back after testing it whole day. Yesterday I swap back to my track wheel and the issue still there, so I drove about 10 mile and then restart the car, issue disappeared. But today, after driving over a bump, the lights pop up again. I will call the shop tomorrow.

(Any expert could help here about the issue?)

Well, I asked the issue in forum few weeks ago, I couldn't figure out the issue (every detailed describe, please search my previous thread). Anyway, I went to a local garage which is specific for Subaru performance cars before Christmas 2017 (I've done a lot of mods there and they did great job).

Well, it's a very very long story. I do not want to waste your time ready everything. Here is the time line.

Before Christmas:

I checked in my car. I told them I already tried another speed sensor and it didn't work. I gave them my spare speed sensor.

1 day later:
The guy worked on my car told me it should be wheel bearing issue. It's about $400+ to replace. I said it's OK.

Bearing was replace. The car was ok when he tested it.

Meantime:
My aotupower half cage was arrive to the shop. I original plan was to remove interior myself and have them weld the cage, which quoted about 2-4 hours.

They told me I can pickup the car but I told them just remove interior and install the cage. I was quoted 1-2 hours to remove the interior which is fine.

Fun part: The guy left the shop and no longer working in that shop on Jan 1st. Then they tested my car and the speed sensor issue came back.

They hold my car for 2 weeks. Because they said it was a lot of trouble going on when the guy left.

They started working on my car the 3rd week in Jan. They finished the work and told me the wiring was a mess and they fixed it. They charged $400+ for fixing the wiring plus diagnosis.
(I don't know if you read the circuit manual. From speed sensor to VSC module is a single wire and wrapped in harness, so what is possible fix to that? Did they just clear the code?)

Upon picking up my car, they told me they spent 10+ hours installing the half cage. And combined with bearing and other cost. I paid $2100. The reason I can't argue on my original quote is that the guy quoted left. I did told them to give me a new quote, but the next call to me was "Your car ready, total bill is $2100".

Yesterday, speed sensor came back. I spent a whole day reading things online as well as reading the circuit manual of BRZ. I finally find out I have a tire in difference size and swap back to my track wheel to solve the issue.
(How I found out? I kept reading, and someone in forum has the issue when installing coilover. People replied that they had some issue and solved it after alighment. Then I checked my wheels and found the issue. Not too hard right?)

Well, they did spend some time digging into the issue, but not as the same skill as a software engineer (Master in CS and Bachelor in EE). And they wasted a new bearing on my car (well I got charged).

As a result, I spent $2100 for a work only worth $200 (If you check in forum, there is one shop offer to install this cage for $200, I confirmed with him, but the garage is about 5 hour drive from my home), and waste a whole month to deal with it.

What do you think. I will contact the shop tomorrow, what should I say?

If the shop is not skilled enough to do the job, should I still pay $120+/hr? Well they may got bad luck to miss the real issue (should I pay for their bad luck?), but... I don't know what to say. I am willing to pay if it is correct to pay. A little upset.

Last edited by darkbluemn; 02-05-2018 at 08:48 PM.
darkbluemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
At the very least the shop should honor the original quote that was given. Regardless of whether or not the guy that gave the quote is still working there or the circumstances of his departure, he was an authorized representative of the shop at the time the quote was given so they should stand by it.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Dude $400 to change a wheel bearing? Find a new shop! They saw you as a mark and they played you as one.

It just might be worth driving a few hours to a better shop than those guys. Especially if they charge $400 for a simple wheel bearing change. YouTube it and you'll see how bad you got ripped off... or better yet don't that would just make you angry.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Fun part: The guy left the shop and no longer working in that shop on Jan 1st.
I really hate this. I've gone to independent shops hoping that I could hold them accountable / warranted for their work, and then when I have a problem and call in about it, find out the employee was fired for doing shoddy work and the owner leaves me to play wack-a-mole on the issue.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
darkbluemn

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
updated..... feel so bad....
darkbluemn is offline   Reply With Quote