follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
86GTDriver

Drives: TRD Pro Tundra and 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with Long Term Build Plan

I don't have my car yet, but I'm planning my build for when I do. I've always left all my cars stock, until my most recent vehicles - my 2019 Tundra TRD Pro and my wife's 2020 4Runner TRD Pro.

We've caught a bit of the 'mod bug'. Although, mostly it's all been accessories and appearance without any performance or mechanical modifications. Our new weekend toy (once purchased) will fill that role.

The car will be a 2017+ (probably 2020) Toyota 86 with an automatic transmission. I know the MT is better, but I can't drive MT anymore (one of the main reasons for selling my Boxster recently and my Chevy SS 2 years ago).

The 86 will get about 5,000 miles a year. Most of the driving will be 'spirited' weekend driving in the mountains or beach trips. I'd like to get it out for a track day or autocross (never done either) at some point too.

After lurking this site for quite some time and doing some other google/youtube research, I've come up with what I believe I want to do with the car. Being inexperienced, I thought I would post here for some additional input. Costs shown do not include installation, which I will have to pay for as well due to lack of knowledge, tools, and/or motivation to do it myself.

What I'm hoping to hear back:

1. What order would you do these modifications (assuming 2-4 years to complete the full list)

2. Do you see anything missing that should happen before what's on my list or should something I selected be changed for some reason I'm not aware?

tl;dr - Here's my mod list, am I stupid?
Attached Images

86GTDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Decent list, here's some quick feedback:

Don't waste your time or money on "air intake duct".

Get 17x9 wheels, you will want 245-255 tires with Harrop.

If the header is catless, Corsa catback will be very loud.

DS1.11's are overkill for "spirited" driving. If you never tried them, they are very dusty.

Run cheap blank rotors.

No need for ss brake lines.

The cat in my JDL FP started rattling after a few hunder miles.

No oil cooler on your list but for the intended usage, I would skip an oil cooler and run a good 5w30 oil.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
My suggestion is to buy it, drive it for a few months as-is, then revisit what you really want to do to increase your enjoyment of it. Not every aftermarket change is an improvement for every person.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Busybee (05-27-2020), humfrz (05-26-2020), soundman98 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
My suggestion is to buy it, drive it for a few months as-is, then revisit what you really want to do to increase your enjoyment of it. Not every aftermarket change is an improvement for every person.
Yes. Stock is VERY underrated for these cars.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'd aim for handling first, power after. You get the most bang-for-the-buck from the car's handling.

Get a tune with a good tuning shop, rather than FT86SF.

Same with the header; get a known make. For that price, you can get a nice JDL header

Stick with stock intake system. The factory airbox is very efficient, and aftermarket intakes don't add enough to warrant the extra cost. All it might need is a drop-in high performance filter.

Highly recommend, esp for FI and spirited driving: oil cooler

Don't be afraid to buy used in some areas.

Finally: pass on the fancy rotors. Blank OEM or OEM-Replacement rotors do fine. Spend money where it counts: good pads and brake fluid.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GTDriver View Post
I don't have my car yet, but I'm planning my build for when I do. I've always left all my cars stock, until my most recent vehicles - my 2019 Tundra TRD Pro and my wife's 2020 4Runner TRD Pro.

We've caught a bit of the 'mod bug'. Although, mostly it's all been accessories and appearance without any performance or mechanical modifications. Our new weekend toy (once purchased) will fill that role.

The car will be a 2017+ (probably 2020) Toyota 86 with an automatic transmission. I know the MT is better, but I can't drive MT anymore (one of the main reasons for selling my Boxster recently and my Chevy SS 2 years ago).

The 86 will get about 5,000 miles a year. Most of the driving will be 'spirited' weekend driving in the mountains or beach trips. I'd like to get it out for a track day or autocross (never done either) at some point too.

After lurking this site for quite some time and doing some other google/youtube research, I've come up with what I believe I want to do with the car. Being inexperienced, I thought I would post here for some additional input. Costs shown do not include installation, which I will have to pay for as well due to lack of knowledge, tools, and/or motivation to do it myself.

What I'm hoping to hear back:

1. What order would you do these modifications (assuming 2-4 years to complete the full list)

2. Do you see anything missing that should happen before what's on my list or should something I selected be changed for some reason I'm not aware?

I would personally start with anything related to the wheels, brakes and tires first then go from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Do the cosmetics (exhaust and wheels count) and leave the rest until you know the car better. As said many of the "improvements" people list here are not making the car better in any way other than their minds.
Busybee (05-27-2020), humfrz (05-26-2020), Spuds (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Yes. Stock is VERY underrated for these cars.
I don't know if underrated is the word is use. It also depends on what the goal is for the car. I do agree that they should drive it factory for a while and decide to upgrade from there. Not everyone is content with great handling but only momentum power. I was sure that I'd be happy with stock. 3 years later 330whp feels pretty perfect to me
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-26-2020), Spuds (05-26-2020), Yoshoobaroo (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
List should include some reinforcement upgrades

- Perrin / Whiteline Positive Shift Kit

- Whiteline Positive traction kit

- Whiteline subframe inserts

- GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace

Some items you can do without like the JDM airbox, but since you're going nice and deep on the mods I guess its fine. I'd recommend the Perrin cold air intake and intake duct instead if you must spend the $300. Or just get a decent K&N filter for the stock airbox.

Last edited by radroach; 05-26-2020 at 07:05 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post

Get a tune with a good tuning shop, rather than FT86SF.

Same with the header; get a known make. For that price, you can get a nice JDL header.
What's wrong FT86SF tune and header? Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GTDriver View Post

Alright-y lets make friends. Personally, I'd buy tires, the supercharger then the rest in that order. That way you get the most wow factory right off the bat. Any "stage 2" gains are going to be trivial by comparison.

1. FT86SF UEL Header. Better options out there for cheaper. No reason with the S/C to get a UEL unless you like the broken subie sound.

2. Corsa Catback. Sounds good.

3. Corsa intake. A waste of money. if any money is going to be spent here, just get a drop in panel filter. The intake won't be a limitation until you get into boost... which Harrop uses 1/2 of the OEM intake making this purchase moot anyways.

4. Tein Coilovers. Crap choice IMO. Lurk the 'suspension parts for sale' section any you can easily find a good set of coilover for a couple hundred over your asking price used. Use the money you save from the Corsa intake.

5/6. Great choice on a tire. Jump the wheel size up to an 18" for reasons posted in #10/11

7/8/9. Buy them all at once. You should be able to find a dongle and cable for real cheap used. Then buy the license and a tune from the normal places... HRI, Delicious, Moto East, CSG... I wouldn't go with FT86 simple because your tune would be locked and not editable by another company

10/11. Drop all of this. Just buy a car with the performance package and get a way better setup with less hassle.

12. If your going with JDL, just get the overpipe-front pipe all-in-one combo piece and save some cash. If your only going 2.5 your bound to find a good deal in the used section with a bit of time.

13. HKS duct, worry about this well after you boost the car, and drop a few pulley sizes.

14. See $12.

15. Solid pick but, you better raise that price as the out the door price is going to be closer to $5100.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #12
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forums.

As others have mentioned, the Corsa catback doesn't play nice with an aftermarket header. If you aren't replacing the header and don't mind the chrome tips, I live in the upstate area and have one I recently removed from my '17 BRZ.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Decent list, here's some quick feedback:

Don't waste your time or money on "air intake duct".

Get 17x9 wheels, you will want 245-255 tires with Harrop.

If the header is catless, Corsa catback will be very loud.

DS1.11's are overkill for "spirited" driving. If you never tried them, they are very dusty.

Run cheap blank rotors.

No need for ss brake lines.

The cat in my JDL FP started rattling after a few hunder miles.

No oil cooler on your list but for the intended usage, I would skip an oil cooler and run a good 5w30 oil.
Thanks! I'm planning a catted header.

I haven't looked into oil coolers yet. I didn't think I would need before getting a supercharger. I guess that's something else to research.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #14
86GTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I definitely plan to do that too. That's the main reason I'm slowing the build down to 2-4 years. So I can do it incrementaly and adjust as needed along the way.

That seems like it would be far more enjoyable than dumping $15k in mods on day one. If I was going to do that, I should probably just by the BMW.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86GTDriver For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-26-2020)