follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2022, 10:56 PM   #1
wild03

Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help with TPMS sensor

Hi there, /i have a 2017 BRZ with 17K miles. i was swapping tires and busted a TPMS sensor. I tried epoxy but i think it came loose in the tire.

I have access to a tire mounting tool, so i can pop the bead and get the sensor out. I could try more epoxy, maybe this time glue the back of the sensor to the rim or even looping a little wire for more holding power.

Or should i just buy a new sensor? What aftermarket sensors should i buy? Also is there a tool I can buy to program it? I know eventually all 4 sensors will run out of battery. They are 7 years old but with only 17K miles on them. so not sure.
If I buy the tool i will avoid depending on dealer for this which is a huge plus for me.
Thanks in advance
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149081
Old 12-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Apolllo

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited
Is the light on? If the sensor busted, it most likely needs to be replaced.

If the light is not on and the sensor is still reading, you can just attach it to the barrel of the wheel. They sell TPMS band brackets to do this. Something like this.

https://www.carid.com/dorman/tpms-se...ting-band.html
Apolllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Good info, I've never dealt with TPMS cars, this is my first.

What is the difference between the Autel tool you bought and Carista, Techstream and ATEQ mentioned on that thread?

I don't do frequent tire swaps, only when they wear out. Factory tires lasted until now and they had half the thread left but a nasty puncture that kept leaking forced me into a new set. That said, I don't might owning a tool that will allow doing my own maintenance.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #5
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolllo View Post
Is the light on? If the sensor busted, it most likely needs to be replaced.

If the light is not on and the sensor is still reading, you can just attach it to the barrel of the wheel. They sell TPMS band brackets to do this. Something like this.

https://www.carid.com/dorman/tpms-se...ting-band.html
Interesting option, thank you, The light is not on, I just noticed a clanking sound at low speeds and I'm pretty sure it's the sensor riding the tire up and falling and hitting the rim. at higher speeds the sensor is kept on the tire by centrifugal force, so no sound. I parked the car since and weighing my options, driving another car for now.

I'll have time soon to take wheel off and check for loose sensor. I have access to a friend shop to break the bead and see if i can get to sensor without taking tire off.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
Apolllo

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild03 View Post
Interesting option, thank you, The light is not on, I just noticed a clanking sound at low speeds and I'm pretty sure it's the sensor riding the tire up and falling and hitting the rim. at higher speeds the sensor is kept on the tire by centrifugal force, so no sound. I parked the car since and weighing my options, driving another car for now.

I'll have time soon to take wheel off and check for loose sensor. I have access to a friend shop to break the bead and see if i can get to sensor without taking tire off.
Yea, I mean if it isnt broken right now, it will eventually break being loose in the tire like that lol plus it will cause the tire to be out of balance. So if it's a front tire, it might shake a bit at high speeds.

cool, I used to work at a tire shop and we would use those brackets for broken sensors or if there were custom wheels that didnt work with oem tpms sensors. The only downside is they are easier to break when dismantling the tire, as you dont know where the sensor is
Apolllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:09 AM   #7
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Good info, I've never dealt with TPMS cars, this is my first.

What is the difference between the Autel tool you bought and Carista, Techstream and ATEQ mentioned on that thread?

I don't do frequent tire swaps, only when they wear out. Factory tires lasted until now and they had half the thread left but a nasty puncture that kept leaking forced me into a new set. That said, I don't might owning a tool that will allow doing my own maintenance.

Carista was the way I was going to go in the beginning but you have to pay for any time you use it, one month at a time. So you'd pay $10 to get it working again to do a tire change and have services for a month and then pay $10 again to change the tires back. It didn't add up for me personally.

Techstream would be perfect if you didn't need a laptop to run it and all of the copies didn't seem super sus.

ATEQ (i believe) can only go back and forth between two sets.

I don't track my car but have four sets of wheels right now lol. And I've given two away. I don't know why this car has brought this on me but I'm not complaining either lol. I am about to whittle it all down to two sets though. Just the volks for non-winter and sparcos for winter. I'm gonna sell my Konigs and stockers which all have TPMS sensors with matching IDs so I never have to do anything but program the sensors when I order them.

Hopefully all of that info helps
Old 12-22-2022, 12:51 AM   #8
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Carista was the way I was going to go in the beginning but you have to pay for any time you use it, one month at a time. So you'd pay $10 to get it working again to do a tire change and have services for a month and then pay $10 again to change the tires back. It didn't add up for me personally.

Techstream would be perfect if you didn't need a laptop to run it and all of the copies didn't seem super sus.

ATEQ (i believe) can only go back and forth between two sets.

I don't track my car but have four sets of wheels right now lol. And I've given two away. I don't know why this car has brought this on me but I'm not complaining either lol. I am about to whittle it all down to two sets though. Just the volks for non-winter and sparcos for winter. I'm gonna sell my Konigs and stockers which all have TPMS sensors with matching IDs so I never have to do anything but program the sensors when I order them.

Hopefully all of that info helps
Thank you for taking the time. Im leaning towards trying to rig the current sensor in place. So I will give me more time to look into the options since the current sensors are 7 years old and might last another couple of years
The Following User Says Thank You to wild03 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (12-22-2022)
Old 01-08-2023, 01:37 AM   #9
wild03

Finally got around to work on broken sensor, it looks like the epoxy I used (PC-7) didn't dry properly feels like a hard rubber instead of hard plastic. Maybe it's too old, had it for years.

So I used new JB-weld, the quick dry one.will check tomorrow for hardness before final assembly.

I reinforced the stem to the sensor with wire this time. Before applying the epoxy. Will post pictures tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2023, 03:29 PM   #10
wild03

Quote:
Finally got around to work on broken sensor, it looks like the epoxy I used (PC-7) didn't dry properly feels like a hard rubber instead of hard plastic. Maybe it's too old, had it for years.

So I used new JB-weld, the quick dry one.will check tomorrow for hardness before final assembly.

I reinforced the stem to the sensor with wire this time. Before applying the epoxy. Will post pictures tomorrow.
Here's a picture with epoxy
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
really just better off replacing the sensor. that's likely going to come loose over time.
Ace23_BRZ (02-01-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:19 AM   #12
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
really just better off replacing the sensor. that's likely going to come loose over time.
Thought about that initially, but since I have access to tire mounting machine, this is really a no cost gamble. I had good experiences with JB-weld in the past. Even covering a hole on the side of a lawnmower engine crankcase for years.
For extra safety I also applied some epoxy on the back of the sensor to the rim itself.
This is only meant to lst until next tire change 1 or 2 years. Since sensors are original ( 2017 ) so expecting batteries to be about done. At that time I will change all of them. Likely getting my own programmer as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to wild03 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 04:49 PM   #13
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Page View Post
It may be worth trying to reattach the sensor using epoxy and wire for added holding power, but if that doesn't work or the sensor is damaged, it's likely best to purchase a new sensor. You can find aftermarket TPMS sensors that are compatible with your 2017 BRZ, and you can also purchase a TPMS sensor programming tool. Keep in mind that even though the sensors are 7 years old, it's still good practice to replace them as they may not be working properly and the battery life may have expired. This way you can avoid depending on the dealer for this service and do it yourself.

Sensor has been holding nicely, done a few trips already. Like I stated added a bit of epoxy to the underside of the sensor and it is now glued to the rim as well. So I'm hopeful this will hold until I need new tires and I'll replace all 4 sensors at that time. 👍
Old 01-23-2023, 07:43 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sensor has been holding nicely, done a few trips already. Like I stated added a bit of epoxy to the underside of the sensor and it is now glued to the rim as well. So I'm hopeful this will hold until I need new tires and I'll replace all 4 sensors at that time. ��
Smart bot post gotcha. Reported it.