follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Mark Slide Squad

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT, S14 Kouki
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In car video of Buttonwillow event in my all stock FR-S

This was my FR-S' first track event. I've been doing track days for about 15 years now, but was heavily involved with drifting most of those years. I bought my FR-S about 2 months ago, and I have no regrets whatsoever!

The track is Buttonwillow, CA, out near Bakersfield. A great track that is technical, has elevation change, and relatively clean and well kept. The event was supposed to be the full course (13CW configuration) but due to a motorcycle accident the day prior on the East loop side on fresh tarmac which gouged up the newly laid surface pretty good, they were forced to close the East loop side. We did full West loop configuration #27 instead. It did extremely well in factory form out there on the track against the big boys (M3's, GTR, EVO X, Vette, etc) and I know there is a lot more potential in the car. Yeah, I know you've heard this all before from other postings, but the first thing that needs an upgrade is the factory tires. While they might be good for normal everyday driving and occasional canyon run, on the track they show their lack of grip. I understand that Subaru/Toyota put the tires on for a few reasons, to make the car feel more neutral and "fun to drive", as well as to keep costs down, since they are borrowed from the Prius.
The second thing that the car needs is camber! The camber in front is almost zero, resulting in the rolling of the sidewalls very badly (see vid for a pic). It would also cure some of the understeer and improve turn-in as well with some negative camber.
Third on the list, brake pads! The stock pads are decent, I was surprised at how well the car stops with such small rotors and calipers. The stock pads started to fade though, and the pedal started to get a little mushy. Track pads would do wonders.
The shocks/springs are next up that need upgrading. At high speeds over 100mph, you can definitely feel the car float around in transition and is on the ragged edge. When matched with the stock tires, it's ok, but once you get good track tires, it'd be best to get a track tested coilover set up to make the car feel much more planted and stable, and not so much on the razor edge.
All-in-all it was a VERY satisfying car to drive on the track, and I didn't want to ever come in the pits, but my brakes and chunking front tires told me otherwise! I wanted to know what the car could do in stock form before I started upgrading it though, as it's important to learn the car as-is before you start messing around with it.

Enjoy the video!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz86asSG9jo"]Scion FR-S all factory stock at Buttonwillow Speed District track event - YouTube[/ame]
Mark Slide Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Slide Squad For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-04-2012), RRnold (10-03-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Ouch! Braking into Star Mazda with stock pads had to be hairy... but spinning at Sunset is just flat out ass-puckering! Let me know if you need pads and fluid; we keep them in stock for the FRS/BRZ.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Mark Slide Squad (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slide Squad View Post
The shocks/springs are next up that need upgrading. At high speeds over 100mph, you can definitely feel the car float around in transition and is on the ragged edge. When matched with the stock tires, it's ok, but once you get good track tires, it'd be best to get a track tested coilover set up to make the car feel much more planted and stable, and not so much on the razor edge.
Looks like fun!

I noticed the same "floating" in the uphill esses at VIR. I was going through them at about 100 mph (constant speed) and really wanted to be turning in before the car got set. It was a little frustrating.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Mark Slide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
Looks like fun!

I noticed the same "floating" in the uphill esses at VIR. I was going through them at about 100 mph (constant speed) and really wanted to be turning in before the car got set. It was a little frustrating.
Yeah I hear you on that. You gotta be very smooth with your inputs or it will start to induce a four-wheel drift, not too confidence inspiring at those speeds
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
I love all the runoff areas you have on this track. We don't have this for tracks in the NorthEast
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
all i can say is, SLIDE SQUAD!! Always been an inspiration. Pioneers of drifting in the US. Good to see you are still having fun with cars!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Mark Slide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstar View Post
all i can say is, SLIDE SQUAD!! Always been an inspiration. Pioneers of drifting in the US. Good to see you are still having fun with cars!
Thanks Philstar! It's good to know someone still remembers us! lol. Glad to have been an inspiration! I have a kouki s14 too that I am slowly building into a track machine for grip and drift
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
FRSPirate

Drives: 13 Scion FRS Raven M/T, 05 Raven R6
Garage
Slide squad Mark, when did you join the FR-S dark side? Nice vid. This is Alex btw, pearl white Z32 (then black when some dumb hooker totaled my car), hung out with Kevin and Dave back in the day. Speaking of which, is Dave still in Slide Squad?

How've you been? You remember Adam, the guy that bought your light blue 240? He's on here too, he bought a silver FRS. I asked my buddy at netics what you were up to recently and he told me you moved on.

05 Raven R6
13 Raven FRS M/T
FRSPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSPirate For This Useful Post:
Mark Slide Squad (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Mark Slide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSPirate View Post
Slide squad Mark, when did you join the FR-S dark side? Nice vid. This is Alex btw, pearl white Z32 (then black when some dumb hooker totaled my car), hung out with Kevin and Dave back in the day. Speaking of which, is Dave still in Slide Squad?

How've you been? You remember Adam, the guy that bought your light blue 240? He's on here too, he bought a silver FRS. I asked my buddy at netics what you were up to recently and he told me you moved on.

Alex! Yeah, of course I remember you! I've been really well. How about you? You got into sport bikes too, right? I remember your Z32, it was so damn nice. Dave and I aren't officially a "drift team" anymore, he hasn't done a drift event in about 10 years, and It's been about 5 years for myself. I'm more into time attack now than anything, and same with Dave. Maybe we should rename ourselves Grip Squad, haha. Once I get my project S14 done though, I am definitely taking it to some drift events just for fun.

I remember Adam too. Man, that was a long time ago when I sold my car to him! About 10 years! Glad to see you guys both have FR-S' now. Why did I get mine? Well, I've always been a big fan of rear wheel drive of course, but lightweight, simple, a blast to drive, good gas mpg, cheap insurance, there are many selling points to these cars. I have no regrets!
I did move on from Turbonetics btw. I have been working at WET Design for the past two years out in Burbank, I am an R&D Engineer there. WET Design is the company that designed and built the Fountains of Bellagio in Vegas, Mirage Hotel Fireshow, Fountains of Dubai, and many others like it. It's totally different coming from the automotive aftermarket world where I worked for Vortech Superchargers, Sway-A-Way suspension, and of course Turbonetics, but it's actually a pretty interesting place to work. Glad to hear from you! We should go drive sometime.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
FRSPirate

Garage
Doing well here too, working as a CAD drafter/designer for an aerospace co. in Cam. Got into sport bikes back in 05, got me in trouble so i've stayed away for the last 3 years but all that is finally "off my record" now. The Zs are all gone, needed to get away from the head ache's of having to fix my cars every other weekend and new tires and brakes every other oil change sometimes less with only street driving. I ended up going euro with an NA S4 thinking, NA less headaches...worse on maintenance than the Z's. Finally fed up with that crap so i went back to my Toyo roots...for the time being, i am loving it (who knows what the future hold for reliability). I do miss boost though. Is your S14 still the red one with the cleanest RB swap ever that i remember? That thing was a sexy beast. Just checked out WET's website, looks like an awesome place to work! I am for sure down to go for a drive sometime or maybe a track day.

05 Raven R6
13 Raven FRS M/T
Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Mark Slide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSPirate View Post
Doing well here too, working as a CAD drafter/designer for an aerospace co. in Cam. Got into sport bikes back in 05, got me in trouble so i've stayed away for the last 3 years but all that is finally "off my record" now. The Zs are all gone, needed to get away from the head ache's of having to fix my cars every other weekend and new tires and brakes every other oil change sometimes less with only street driving. I ended up going euro with an NA S4 thinking, NA less headaches...worse on maintenance than the Z's. Finally fed up with that crap so i went back to my Toyo roots...for the time being, i am loving it (who knows what the future hold for reliability). I do miss boost though. Is your S14 still the red one with the cleanest RB swap ever that i remember? That thing was a sexy beast. Just checked out WET's website, looks like an awesome place to work! I am for sure down to go for a drive sometime or maybe a track day.
Nice man, my brother and Dad work at an Aerospace machine shop in Camarillo. Maybe you work there with them? Haha.

Yeah I got into sport bikes a couple years ago and they can definitely get you in trouble. I got lucky a couple times being let go by the cops. I mainly just go to the canyons now in Malibu or Highway 33 on my CBR 600RR.

Audi, yeah, I used to have one too, I know all about the PITA maintenance costs, haha. I got rid of mine too. That's cool that you dig your FR-S as well. I hear you on the reliability though, hopefully these cars hold up to the abuse and aren't ridiculed with first year issues/recalls. I've seen some people on here that have had multiple issues.

My red car was actually an S13 coupe with silvia front end with the RB25 swap, I sold that car about 5 years ago. I miss it dearly though! It was a beast and so much fun at the track. My S14 I have now is black and a factory kouki (97-98 shark eye front end). I picked up a SR20DET and it's currently disassembled and I'm fully building it with forged pistons/rods, cams, etc. I miss boost too is why I am building it, haha.

Hit me up whenever you wanna cruise the canyons or do a track event!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Canyons? I'm in
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
FRSPirate

Garage
No one here with you L/N, i wonder if they work at Parker.

I just hit up the local spots here in the car and bike...Stunt and the Snake have all become busts lately so I try to spend less time there. I like what they are doing with Decker though.

See, it's been so long i forgot it was an S13. BTW, I found my hard copy of "THAT" issue of Super Street hehe, it's online too.

Mike, it's a bit of a drive from O.C. but you are welcome to come and hang in the Santa Monica Mnts...definitely a fun place for a drive.

05 Raven R6
13 Raven FRS M/T
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Mark Slide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Canyons? I'm in
As Alex said, Malibu canyons are quite a way from O.C, but you're more than welcome to roll out!