follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #1
SammyXNA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine knocking around 1.8 revs

Don't know how to start this thread because the story of my car is absolutely horrible. It's better to know the original story before getting into the current issue.

Around October my engine seized due to oil starvation like an idiot, it's got a UEL catless manifold with the oft stage 2+ tune. The car was sitting in the driveway for months as I knew I had to look for a replacement engine. A few days later, I received a letter from Toyota about the famous recall on the valve springs. Here's me thinking that my engine blew because of the broken valve springs so obviously I towed it to them as they were going to take the engine out anyway.

They confirmed that it had nothing to do with the valve springs, dealer said that a new short block was required for £3500ish. Calls back saying a whole new engine is required, quoted me £15k. Told him I might aswell buy the car again and that was not going to happen. Dealer said I could source a second hand engine and they'll fit it for me and also do the recall on it.

Found a bare refurbished engine on gumtree for about 3.2k in exchange for my old engine. Toyota fit the engine and it was misfiring on Cylinder 4. Told me to give it back to the supplier, so I towed it to the supplier. (ended up paying them £1.4k just for doing all of that)

Supplier asked if Toyota checked all the possible causes for a misfire, so, injectors, spark plugs, coils etc. Toyota claimed that everything was fine.

Supplier said misfire was due to bad timing, so timing was re-done. It was still misfiring and the cylinder head kept getting damaged. Apparently he had to replace it twice until he figured out that problem was that the engine provided was slightly a newer version that didn't fully match my old engine???

Then that was all fitted and sorted, somehow 2 of the injectors became bad. Supplier told me that Toyota lied to me about checking the injectors and is now wasting his time because of something they were supposed to check.

Replaced the injectors and was told that the car turns and idles fine with no cel or anything. He took it for a test drive at 30-40mph claims no issue. This guy was really taking a long time, the car went to Toyota in mid November, engine was swapped on New Years and the engine was given to the supplier around mid-jan. I only just got it back this Monday as I caught him by surprise, he wanted £250 for the labour work apparently due to the injectors Toyota should have inspected in the first place.

In addition, somehow the battery was completely dead too, the moment the engine goes off, it would not start unless jumped.

I didn't pay him, I just took my car and left lol. On the drive home, smoke was coming out the UEL, smelt like burnt oil, this has stopped now. Parked up and tried to start the car, battery is dead. Got the battery replaced next day and took it out for another drive and for my local mechanic to inspect it.

Apparently it is knocking, I've attached 2 videos of my current issue and don't know whether to take it back to the supplier because he is going to take another 4 months just for a warranty job, which he hates himself as he did not want my car there anymore. He did say that the other 2 injectors may also be faulty. The car is still mapped by the looks of it because in neutral car won't go over 5.5rpm due to "launch control" - I only did this once to check.

SammyXNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm not convinced that's rod knock. The fuel; pumps right next to where you're holding the camera in the second video are notoriously loud. Try listening through a screwdriver to the engine block.

For reference, since some people look at me like I'm crazy when I suggest this:

This is rod knock:
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Is you car a manual our auto?
Old 05-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
SammyXNA

I'll give it a listen when I get back from work, possible that it could be a bad port injector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Is you car a manual our auto?
Manual, although the engine was originally from an automatic according to Toyota.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #5
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
That doesn’t sound like knocking, that sounds like an exhaust or vacuum leak.

Port injectors on these cars don’t typically fail. It’s probably a different issue.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyXNA View Post
I'll give it a listen when I get back from work, possible that it could be a bad port injector?

Manual, although the engine was originally from an automatic according to Toyota.
Auto engines have a vacuum pump on the back one of the heads that is not on a manual and it needs removed and blocked off. I think it is on the passenger side I can't remember though.

Edit: It is on the passenger side.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=25
Old 05-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #7
SammyXNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Auto engines have a vacuum pump on the back one of the heads that is not on a manual and it needs removed and blocked off. I think it is on the passenger side I can't remember though.

Edit: It is on the passenger side.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...7&postcount=25
I remember Toyota saying that because it was an automatic engine, they had to remove a part, could it possibly be the vacuum pump they were referring to?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyXNA View Post
I remember Toyota saying that because it was an automatic engine, they had to remove a part, could it possibly be the vacuum pump they were referring to?
Most likely yes, they removed it. But it would still be good to verify.
Ultramaroon (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
The real tell for rod knock is to listen for it immediately upon cold startup. That's when it will be most obvious for a couple seconds. FA20 takes a stupid long time to pump up. That's the price for conveniently located, inverted oil filter.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
SammyXNA

Got a cel p0304 misfire on cylinder 4, took it to another mechanic who seems to say it maybe a coilpack or sparkplug issue. Ive gone ahead and ordered some coil packs and a spark plug just incase.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #11
SammyXNA

bump:

It's pretty much been the same since, had coil pack replaced but does the same thing
Old 10-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #12
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Sounds like it may have ejected a rocker arm.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
have you ruled out the clutch throw-out bearing?
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
Sounds like it may have ejected a rocker arm.
He would have no oil pressure if that was the case. Rods would start making noise. In neutral my car made it all of less then 100 yards before throwing a rod when it lost a rocker.
Ultramaroon (10-27-2021)