follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Perrin Stainless Shift Knob Review/Pictures

Got my Perrin shift knob from @FT-86 SpeedFactory!
There is a few variations and they are priced pretty competively between $65-$95 (depending on which options/version you get.)

This shift knob is the Stainless, FAT, 6manual version.

Finishes availiable: Stealth Matte Black, Anodized Matte Grey, Glossy Powdercoated Black Billet and Polished Stainless.

Sizes/Styles: 2 Slim (1.6") and Fat (1.85") dia. The Fat knob is similar to the OEM STI shift knob is size. Ft-86 Speed Factory also noted that the Glossy Black is lightweight while the Stainless is heavy weight version. I'm not sure on the exact weights. @PERRIN

Pictures!

Look a box!

And an open box!

Inside the plush Crown Royal black bag... a knob!

A freshly machined knob...

You stick it in here.

Nicely done 'stickers.' 2 styles to choose from! I was worried when I saw this as I was thinking of cheap foil stickers... nope. These things are beveled and encased in clear plastic bubble for a nice finish. Note: the stickers are black, chrome and red. The camera made the chrome look white.

Decals... on the tool box they shall go!

The adaptor/locking set screw. Really nice design, the top lock is neat as it won't screw up the existing shifter threads.

Installation.
Tools needed: none. All included.
Time. 3min and one beer (time includes taking pictures.)

Fondle the old shift knob loose (uncrew by hand.)

Screw in the adaptor to the height you want. Make sure reverse is still selectable.

When happy with the height use the included allen wrench to tighten the locking set screw. To 15-20ft lbs... or you know, "finger tight."

Have your girlfriend screw the knob on...

Apply whichever sticker you want. Straight on target...

BAM!

Thoughts out of 5:

Price: 4/5... Just because it is always hard to me to justify spending money on a knob. It really is nicely priced.

Quality: 5/5 They even give you the tool to instal it!

Fit: 5/5 Flawless how quality parts should be!

Finish: 5/5 Looks Great! Almost OEM+ looking.

Misc: Still no clue why they included 2 zip ties... but, always handy.

Difficulty: 0/5 Pretty hard to screw up. Instuctions are clear despite not even using a FRS/BRZ in the sample picture. Pretty much fool proof.

Happy I went with this. Originally I went for the Raceseng slammer, though the vendor had a delay so I jumped on FT-86 SpeedFactory to see if they had it. Saw the Perrin knob and loved how it looked somewhat oem, while meeting all my needs/wants... was $30 cheaper to my door too!

Shifting Feel: The knob is heavier than the oem by quite a bit, not sure on the exact weight but I'd guess it is inline with the Raceseng Ashiko knob. The weight on the knob while in use gives the shifter a firm feel and quite a bit more ease going into gears due to the weight making gear changes smoother.

The fat knob feels perfect. Quite a meaty whether holding it flat palmed or pistor gripped and thus feels more secure while grasping. The height ajustablity is also a plus though personally I like the oem shifter's location for the most part. The car sat in the 80* sunny weather today with no tint, windows up and the shift knob was still cool to the touch.

I'm very happy with this choice and if could do it over would do this again. Good job Perrin, now bring back the 3" overpipe!
@PERRIN_Mladen
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
8R6 (04-26-2014), dirtbike250x (05-01-2014), Mad1723 (04-28-2014), PERRIN (05-05-2014), PERRIN_Mladen (04-28-2014), zdr93523 (06-22-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #2
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
although i find it funny that you made a thread on how to install a shiftknob, at the same time, this is probably the best "how to install a shiftknob" thread and review ive ever seen. lol.

shiftknob looks nice though. do you know if the anodized matte gray is also a heavy version?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
although i find it funny that you made a thread on how to install a shiftknob, at the same time, this is probably the best "how to install a shiftknob" thread and review ive ever seen. lol.

shiftknob looks nice though. do you know if the anodized matte gray is also a heavy version?
If you are referring to our shift knobs - We do not make an anodized grey. Currently, all we have is a Glossy Black or a Stainless Steel knob.

@Kiske - Great write up and I'm very glad to see that you are happy with your purchase
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
If you are referring to our shift knobs - We do not make an anodized grey. Currently, all we have is a Glossy Black or a Stainless Steel knob.

@Kiske - Great write up and I'm very glad to see that you are happy with your purchase
oh the OP mentioned "anodized matte gray" as one of the finishes available. oh well :/
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I want a wood shift know, something like a really nice cherry or walnut.

Maybe i'll try and make one.
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Nice! I could've definitely seen myself going for this is my Slammer was out of stock as well. It looks great!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT86 View Post
oh the OP mentioned "anodized matte gray" as one of the finishes available. oh well :/
Our dealers may have some of the old style available still, so that would make sense

Just wanted to clarify on the new knobs/the ones that we are going forward with
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
z3ro
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Where's my wood knob!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
z3ro is offline   Reply With Quote