follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Reason

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S; E30 BMW's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
adding a second usb port for charging?

Just curious if anyone has looked into adding a second usb port for charging purposes?

Backstory; I use an old iphone as a dedicated music source. Ideally I want to relocate the USB input to the glovebox, and use the existing usb port as a 'charge only' port to keep my phone charged. I've seen the tacoma DIY on adapting the toyota usb port to an aftermarket head unit which gave me the idea to buy a second toyota usb port, mount it in the glove box and connect the headunit to it like normal (I assume I would have to extend the harness that goes from the headunit to the usb port)

Where i'm unsure of if this would work is I'm not familiar with how USB is wired, if there is a dedicated power cable (i believe it is 5v?)

My question is, for the 'charge only' usb port that I would like to setup, is there a wire that can be spliced into to provide power to a second USB port (but NOT signal)

Edit: I realize I could just use a car charger but I think it would be fairly easy to find a very "OE" looking solution
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
there is a cigarette lighter in the glove box. why not just buy a USB charger and plug it in there?

i have the griffin 2in1 charger and i has 2 USB ports.
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,030 Times in 11,416 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I had the same issue. I purchased a flush fitting USB adapter for the console and use it as a secondary source. I just leave the adapter plugged in.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Reason

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S; E30 BMW's
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Relocating the usb input to the glovebox means I don't have to fiddle with removing and reconnecting a wired device every time I get in or out of the car

Plus then its a 100% stock looking solution (Provided I can mount it cleanly in the glovebox) using OE parts with a bit of splicing.

I will definately purchase a USB car charger as a short term solution.

Was just curious about doing it by creating a second car intergrated usb port
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 25,030 Times in 11,416 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Relocating the usb input to the glovebox means I don't have to fiddle with removing and reconnecting a wired device every time I get in or out of the car

Plus then its a 100% stock looking solution (Provided I can mount it cleanly in the glovebox) using OE parts with a bit of splicing.

I will definately purchase a USB car charger as a short term solution.

Was just curious about doing it by creating a second car intergrated usb port

Makes sense, and I have given some thought to it myself but my solution above works for now and you can't see my iPod from outside the car because its black with a black cable.

The USB port on the center stack is connected by a separate cable to the radio. In theory at least you could reroute that cable to the glove box lock stock and barrel with the console plug, then add a new port to the console using a faceplate you either purchase of fabricate. That shouldn't be too tough to do.

You could tap into the power going into either cigarette adapter as long as you use a converter. There's loads of articles on the Internet explaining that. Here's one.

At least, that would work in theory.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-11-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
andreyiv

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just make sure you don't use the same power wires for both USB plugs. There isn't much power available through the factory USB port. I tried plugging in my phone and it would never charge. The radio would always display "ERROR 4" which indicates the current draw is too high and that's with just a single phone.
andreyiv is offline   Reply With Quote