follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #1429
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Received my uncatted EL header yesterday. To be completely honest, I wasn't impressed with their customer service through this whole process but I can't deny the quality of their work. Hoping to get it installed next week when I have some free time. I'll be stepping down from the 2.5" header to a 2.25" overpipe, to the stock exhaust so there's some trepidation on my part about how it will sound. Fingers crossed!

was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to was385 For This Useful Post:
Figo (04-27-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #1430
ryofu90

Drives: Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just went and install header op and fp
Come out instead send me fp with oem donut style they send me flat flange instead, so have to leave that out with overpipe.
But header sound really nice
ryofu90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #1431
Moetivegt86

Drives: FRS Argento 6mt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Just wondering when my uel careless header will be ready and shipped.

Name is Marlin Creighton
Order # 1495

Thank you for your time.
Moetivegt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #1432
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
Received my uncatted EL header yesterday. To be completely honest, I wasn't impressed with their customer service through this whole process but I can't deny the quality of their work. Hoping to get it installed next week when I have some free time. I'll be stepping down from the 2.5" header to a 2.25" overpipe, to the stock exhaust so there's some trepidation on my part about how it will sound. Fingers crossed!

I that same setup with a catless EL header and stock exhaust and it sounds great to me when you get on it 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #1433
PBlack09

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
This front pipe only will not change the sound alot.

I am running ARK grip now and goin to run JDL UEL header and overpipe soon.
If the front pipe doesn't change the sound much, why is it called the "Ultra Quiet Front Pipe"? I only ordered the catless UEL header and was debating on getting that front pipe later on down the road if I really want it, but would it not really make much of a difference (either sound or performance-wise)?

@JDLAutoDesign got any input?
PBlack09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #1434
bumppinKota

Drives: FRS!!!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlack09 View Post
If the front pipe doesn't change the sound much, why is it called the "Ultra Quiet Front Pipe"? I only ordered the catless UEL header and was debating on getting that front pipe later on down the road if I really want it, but would it not really make much of a difference (either sound or performance-wise)?

I think he means the front pipe alone won't change it much.
bumppinKota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #1435
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlack09 View Post

I installed the ultra quiet front pipe last weekend. I had ARK Grip catback. The front pipe slightly reduces the drone compared to oem one, but it is not a big difference. I think you might not feel it unless your other pipes/header are really loud and with a lot of drone.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Figo For This Useful Post:
PBlack09 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #1436
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the new guy View Post
I that same setup with a catless EL header and stock exhaust and it sounds great to me when you get on it 👍

Finally got around to installing it. The sound isn't nearly as enjoyable as the stock header/SRT headerback combo that I switched out from but RIP torque dip and that is all that matters. Has a bit of that Porsche rasp now, which I like.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #1437
iarefluffy

Drives: CWP series blue brz
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
anyone have a sound clip of a catted uel with an invidia N1 catback? o:
iarefluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #1438
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
I installed the ultra quiet front pipe last weekend. I had ARK Grip catback. The front pipe slightly reduces the drone compared to oem one, but it is not a big difference. I think you might not feel it unless your other pipes/header are really loud and with a lot of drone.
You will enjoy the sound with the Grip and the JDL setup. No rasp but, it is definitely louder and sounds like it always should have sounded.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #1439
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Got my headers on Friday. Excellent quality and I can't wait to get them installed!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #1440
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
My ceramic coated catted UEL arrived Saturday. Feb 18 to May 2 = 10 weeks. I just installed it tonight. Installation went well. There were a couple small speedbumps.

1. Because the primary O2 bung is clocked to the 3:00 position the wire was just a bit short to plug in. I had to remove the harness side connector from it's mounting bracket to get it to plug in. I then zip-tied the cable to the cam position sensor harness.

2. The clearance around the cat can for the overpipe flange is very tight. The flange on the header has oval holes that allow the bolts to slip in. But if the overpipe doesn't have the same, you need to either unbolt the overpipe from the exhaust or carefully work one bolt through and then reverse the other near the rear O2. I'm sure the JDL overpipe would make the install easier, but I had a Motive already, so I had to use the smaller bolts from Motive.

3. The cylinder #2 primary is VERY close to my lower radiator hose, and just clears my water pump pulley. If I had wrapped the header, it wouldn't have cleared either. The water pump pulley isn't close enough to be an issue, but the lower rad hose has me worried. I couldn't feel if there was an air gap, but I was able to slide a plastic bag that a gasket came in to verify that they aren't touching. The gap is probably 1/8" at most. I'm now wondering if I should get a heat sleeve for the hose which WILL touch the tube, or leave the air gap and hope it doesn't touch.

4. Not an issue, just a note for those that will install these in their garage. You will need a wobble extension for the right center nut. Not a big deal, just a note so you're not running to the store in the middle of your install.

That said.. The build quality is excellent, with beautiful stitching along the seams, and even the internal burrs ground smooth. Great attention to detail. And it makes the Borla EL header I had look like a monkey welded it.

My exhaust setup was a Borla EL catless header, Motive overpipe, Ark resonated test pipe, and Ark Grip catback. I'm sure at a distance it probably sounded ok. But near the car, and driving it, the exhaust sounded ping-y, raspy, and like a cheap muffler-shop system. I hated it. So even though I don't really think these cars should sound like a WRX, I decided I had to go with a UEL. And I went with the high-flow cat to control a little of the rasp.

I hope this car sounds as mean on the street as it does in my garage. If it does, this will be one of the best sounding cars I've owned. Hopefully I'll get it out on the road tomorrow for a shakedown. I'll try to remember to get a recording.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (05-04-2015), bumppinKota (05-04-2015), tato.valverde (11-17-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #1441
knipple

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Garage
Here is a video of me at an autocross to give an idea of what it sounds like. I have the JDL UEL, JDL 3" Overpipe, JDL 3" catted Front Pipe, and a Perrin 3" resonated exhaust.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCG12daarXc"]ODR autocross # 2 5/3/15 run # 4 - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. we run a sound meter following the SCCA rules, which is 50 feet away to the side at a location where most cars will be WOT. I barely broke 83 dB.
knipple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knipple For This Useful Post:
fika84 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #1442
BrandonB

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by knipple View Post
Here is a video of me at an autocross to give an idea of what it sounds like. I have the JDL UEL, JDL 3" Overpipe, JDL 3" catted Front Pipe, and a Perrin 3" resonated exhaust.

P.S. we run a sound meter following the SCCA rules, which is 50 feet away to the side at a location where most cars will be WOT. I barely broke 83 dB.

Do you get any drone with this setup?

BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote