follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #43
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Gotta say man. Of all the ways to do this, this is probably the easiest most idiot proof way to do it.
I just looked up the light assembly from the link in the first comment. Out of Stock for 3-5 weeks. Dammit. Lol
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #44
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartedPanda View Post
I wish there was an easier way to remove the rear brake light.
I am way too stupid and clumsy for this by myself!

Same here.

Btw I love ur profile picture, that anime was my favorite anime as a child.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
SmartedPanda (05-10-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #45
btoast

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anyone install this and not have window tint? I'm wondering how this will look when tint is not hiding some of the tape.
btoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #46
btoast

Bump. Anyone?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #47
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Not yet. But mine has the stock window tint throughout. Whenever these things get back in stock l'ma give it a go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #48
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
Bump. Anyone?
I did this mod back in Oct 14'. This is how it currently looks today. Apologize for the crappy pictures. I stripped the original 1/2 inch 3m tape it came with and replaced it with 1/4 inch double sided tape. Still held up pretty well through the months and in the heat. Waiting for the beatsonic roof spoiler to go on clearance.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #49
btoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
I did this mod back in Oct 14'. This is how it currently looks today. Apologize for the crappy pictures. I stripped the original 1/2 inch 3m tape it came with and replaced it with 1/4 inch double sided tape. Still held up pretty well through the months and in the heat. Waiting for the beatsonic roof spoiler to go on clearance.
Thanks for the photos. I'm wondering if this could hold up with just the back tape and maybe 1-2" on the sides.

The Intec High Mount only uses a (what looks like) 1/2" 3M tape and the headliner grommet. Seen here:

Granted, it looks to be a bit smaller than this one, but I would think that some quality double sided tape would hold this just fine. What do you think?

I really dig this as a cheap mod that will allow me to eliminate my 3rd light rattle while adding to the cars aesthetics, but the visible tape is holding me back.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #50
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The light assembly is pretty lightweight. I don't think you'd have any issues running tape on three sides (rather than all the way around). My one concern would be making sure that you use a heatgun / hairdryer to mold the plastic snug against the rear windshield so that you don't get any added light leakage without the tape along the bottom.
This post is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the poster's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
G+
codesplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:57 AM   #51
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This one looks alot better. I might end up just getting it. lol I'm sure you've done your research ..where's the cheapest to get? if you dont mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
Thanks for the photos. I'm wondering if this could hold up with just the back tape and maybe 1-2" on the sides.

The Intec High Mount only uses a (what looks like) 1/2" 3M tape and the headliner grommet. Seen here:

Granted, it looks to be a bit smaller than this one, but I would think that some quality double sided tape would hold this just fine. What do you think?

I really dig this as a cheap mod that will allow me to eliminate my 3rd light rattle while adding to the cars aesthetics, but the visible tape is holding me back.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #52
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Quote:
This one looks alot better. I might end up just getting it. lol I'm sure you've done your research ..where's the cheapest to get? if you dont mind.
Seems to be $150 just about everywhere - except for eBay ($188) and optionsauto ($159).
This post is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the poster's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
G+
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #53
btoast

Quote:
@codesplice is right. It runs about $150 just about everywhere.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #54
btoast

So, I ordered this off of Brother's Performance about a week ago. It was supposed to ship tomorrow.

I just got a call from Brother's Performance (great customer service!) that the manufacturer, Classic Design Concepts, will not longer be making this part as their mold has deteriorated to the point that it comes out warped. According to Brother's, CDC has been trying to make new sets for the past several days with no luck, so they are going to cease production all together.

I guess if a place says it's in stock, buy it as it is now no longer in production.
The Following User Says Thank You to btoast For This Useful Post:
codesplice (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #55
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Thanks for the info @btoast
G+
Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #56
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
I have just removed my shelf with the help of the posts in this thread and here are my notes which complement.

See the links which have photos. ALSO scroll down for info re a "hook" on the underside of the shelf, directly below the "space ship" that hooks under the metal.
It is NOT necessary to remove trim panels.

For future use I have made slits in the edge of the shelf DIRECTLY opposite the clips. They are virtually invisible and will normally be concealed behind the rear seat rests. These are for insertion of a clip-release tool ,but note the clips will tend to pop back in so slip something in under the edge to keep it raised. I found slipping my slender hand under the shelf difficult.

Put a newspaper against the glass to protect the heater wires.
Remove the 4 black clips along the edge of the shelf.
There are 4 white clips in a line, about 50mm in from the rear edge and about 40cm apart.The tips of the clips are visible from up in the boot.

Go along the edge of the shelf and gently bend it up. . Lift the RH end and push you hand in to locate the clip about 30mm in from the end. Using the panel clip remover, slide it up and under the panel from the front and feel around until the tool gets ahold of the clip. Pop out the clips, but note that they are going to want to snap back into the hole due to the pressure of the panel being stretched into place so stuff something in to hold it up .
When all 4 clips are popped, pull the centre forward enough to release the hook in the metal below the space ship. At each end of the shelf there is a tab with a hole in it. The tab goes along underneath the plastic trim and the hole locates UP to a protrusion in the trim. While pushing down on the extreme end of the shelf to release at the hole, pull the end of the shelf forward.Do the other end and remove the shelf.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72225 and http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61533
and
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10002 <<-- This has useful pics but includes
removing trim which is not necessary.

Last edited by notout86; 06-10-2015 at 08:27 PM.
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notout86 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-26-2015), codesplice (05-26-2015)