follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2023, 05:41 PM   #15
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The sidewall is not designed to support the weight of the car without the accompanying volume of pressurised air.
Understood and it makes perfect sense. I've just never had it happen to any tires before. And I've had plenty of situations with lower pressure in a tire in the past. But then again, this is also my first experience with UHP A/S tires, so I'm sure that plays a big factor. Smaller sidewalls than I'm used to as well.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:32 AM   #16
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The sidewall is not designed to support the weight of the car without the accompanying volume of pressurised air.
Yep. Only run-flats can do that and even for only a short period of time.

You can watch tires separate in a similar fashion in just about any race series when the car gets a flat. It's pretty educational to watch.

The tire goes flat, and if the car is a long distance from the pits, you can watch the sidewall split and the tire carcass start flapping around on the wheel. In the really bad cases, the carcass will come apart too and start destroying the body work and suspension bits of the car as it rolls along.

This case isn't quite that catastrophic, but the same idea applies.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desertnate For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (05-15-2023)