follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Legacy In The Making?

Hello everyone,

Throughout the DE events which I've been attending ever since I took delivery of my FR-S about 5+ months ago, I have been recieving plenty of attention. In turn, curious questions about the car have been presented from several drivers / participants at the track, time and time again.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to boast that I have a special car, and it's just that I wasn't expecting the attention this car recieves, compared to other cars which I've owned and tracked on a regular basis... I like the feeling, but it's not something I'm trying to feed my pride on.

Track participants, including many Advanced / Instructor Level Drivers, are commonly asking me how my FR-S is holding up with each event that I attend. Not a single one of the 6 DE events I've attended thus far have gone by without being asked these types of questions. Don't get me wrong, I love answering these questions, and I love talking about my car with these kind folks.

Out on public roads / streets, it's surprisingly different... I don't get as much attention unless it's the average 'sports car guy'.

For some reason, I feel it's recieving a lot of attention because it's a Miata type of car... Meaning that it may perhaps bring what a Miata brings to the table at the track in the long run. The Miata is a tried / proven / affordable to maintain car which is easy on the consumables and repairs (the older generations, indeed) and has its own cult following with many veteran drivers who are loyal and successful with the car for many, many years.

And I just feel that the FR-S / BRZ may perhaps become similar over time, since its curb weight and power are not as high as several other cars which can tend to place additional stress and wear on the car over time... And the chassis has so much speed built into it, and it has talent to be a great momentum car on the road course. Perhaps our car can really bring affordability and long-term ownership to the owner, and there are so many track junkies out there who have an eye on the car... I can just feel it.

Only time will tell, of course.

After all I've said in words, what I'm truly trying to translate is that track enthusiasts approach me with a great sense of appreciation and happiness for the Toyota 86 / GT 86 / BRZ / FR-S. Most all of them are so welcoming when they witness my car. They don't look at the car like it's a special or intimidating exotic driving by the paddock area... I just feel that they look at this car as being something more. More than what a paper can display. More than the lap times can display. More than any modification can prove. More than any driver (including myself) can prove to the world.

Its been a long time since track addicts have witnessed such a humble sports car which has great potential to bring driving back to the game.

I'm completely open to all critique / comments regarding my feelings and views.

Thank you all for your time in reading what I had to share.

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 12-11-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Grammar edit.
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I agree completely! It's the only affordable driver's car out today. And just imagine the prices of used BRZ/FR-S down the road. The combination of cheap, fixed roof, & room for track wheels/tires makes it very appealing. If it stays trouble free, it will be a classic down the road.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I've felt all along that we have something very special in these cars and the longer they're being seen, driven and especially written about so favorably, they're only going to gain in popularity. I really think we've only seen the tip of the ice berg so far.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I've felt all along that we have something very special in these cars and the longer they're being seen, driven and especially written about so favorably, they're only going to gain in popularity. I really think we've only seen the tip of the ice berg so far.
I think opposite. It's popularity is at its peak now because it's new & a novelty.

Last edited by iLuveKetchup; 12-11-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
I think opposite. It's popularity is at its peak now because its new & a novelty.

I agree there is popularity because of it being new and a novelty. At the same time there isn't that much known about the car and I think the more people learn about the car's capabilities and what a true value it is, the popularity will continue to go up. Time will tell.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
chutrain

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
It's reached its peak, or very close to, when it comes to media attention. The people that come up to talk are still intrigued by the car and want to know more about it. And some people are surprised, in my case, that Subaru has come out with a sports car. Most people will ask how much.

I still give it another 6 months or so for the media and mystique to die down, until the uprated factory versions come out. In two or more years when the used car market is available and prices are even more palatable for those that want a weekend track/autox toy, you will see a lot more being used. Miata has pretty much held the crown for fun and affordable cars for these track/autox guys, so something with better power to weight ratio and a fixed roof gives the twins an edge. This will also lead other companies to come in and fill this niche.

In the case of the OP, people want to know if the car lives up to the hype. Does it really perform as the critics say. And when it comes to the track/autox guys they want to know durability. Can it handle the abuse and what part failures these cars are prone to. A lot of people want a track car they can drive there, beat the hell out of, and bank on the car bringing them home with no drama.

It will be interesting to see where this collaboration will bring in the future, both in evolution in the product and the amount of future offerings from other companies.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #444/500 (For Sale)
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited - Acquired 9/15/12
chutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chutrain For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

^ Well stated @chutrain.

Speaking of problems, I've run into my first major issue in 10k miles HERE.

Still not worried about it... Fabulous car, thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
I'm just imagining an all BRZ/FR-S race or track series like they do for the Miatas.

That would be so cool.
I can almost assure you, if this ever happens much later in the future, I may very well be preparing myself to join this specific party.

We'll see what happens if it ever gets started... And I can perform further research and study on if whether it would realistically pique my interest.

Texas BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
vubaru (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
Agreed, nice posts OP.
Thank you so much.

Wife got a bit upset and was wondering why I was spending so much time and energy on typing / editing yesterday evening... But I really wanted to share my thoughts and experiences within this specific sub-forum.

Texas BRZ
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
^ Well stated @chutrain.

Speaking of problems, I've run into my first major issue in 10k miles HERE.

Still not worried about it... Fabulous car, thus far.
Good luck. Hopefully this is an isolated issue & isn't widespread like the ringland failures of the GR STi.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Good luck. Hopefully this is an isolated issue & isn't widespread like the ringland failures of the GR STi.
Hope not, as well.

Thank you. We'll see what unravels.

Texas BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
iLuveKetchup (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think opposite. It's popularity is at its peak now because it's new & a novelty.
I agree to a degree.

I think the attention will fade away for a bit, and then return as the car begins to start setting and breaking records. It's faster than a S2k at the bolt-on level, and you already know how much that pains me...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
True and false. It is a novelty and new, so many people still haven't seen one (I just met a few during a recent road trip) but at the track it is what many track guys have asked for, and for that reason I think it'll always be respected and popular at the track.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I agree to a degree.

I think the attention will fade away for a bit, and then return as the car begins to start setting and breaking records. It's faster than a S2k at the bolt-on level, and you already know how much that pains me...
can you elaborate on this? i'm assuming you're referring to the base s2k and not the CR trim. is it faster on a more technical course? is it faster in every aspect of racing, or just certain parts?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I agree to a degree.

I'd have to drive a similar prepped BRZ to agree or disagree with you on that one. I hope it's true, as it would be a good transition to a BRZ. It's just hard to visualize a BRZ prepped (current prep) to catch a 2550lbs 255hp s2k (same driver). What are weights of time trial BRZs (not even sure which NASA classing it falls under)? Please let's not comment about aero. That's a west coast phenomenon. lol j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
True and false. It is a novelty and new, so many people still haven't seen one (I just met a few during a recent road trip) but at the track it is what many track guys have asked for, and for that reason I think it'll always be respected and popular at the track.
Popular at the track, yes. But a very small % of BRZ/FR-S owners will ever use it at the track.