follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
You are obviously not a material sciences major,

Let me just clarify that you are wrong. while the weight per cube is less with aluminum it is also weaker and far more subject to failures due to fatigue/stress, it's properties also degrade as heat rises much quicker than most steel alloys.

Now most steel wheels (steelies) are not an optimized design for aesthetics (obviously what you are after) or performance, there are wheel companies out there that make nothing but true track rims from steel....have you ever seen an aluminum wheel in nascar? and why not do you think?

If you are taking a design all the way to the edge (which no aftermarket street wheel manufacturers do for public consumption) than you will end up with a magnesium, carbon, or billet aluminum wheel...but none of those things are even on your shopping list,

Please educate yourself before you attempt to educate the rest of the world...and no reading the rays catalog isn't education try some books published by forges (reynolds or kaiser for AL and Jorgensen or carpenter for steels) and then try to understand what is actually going on.
Oh, right, because the stock wheels on the BRZ have so many fatigue related failures

Your logic is fundamentally flawed. Sure, I'd put my money on a ~17-20 pound aluminum wheel failing before a ~25-28 pound steel wheel. But what situation are you having aluminum wheels fail? I haven't seen any reports of that happening on the twins.

Sure, in theory, you're running the aluminum wheels at a higher load, but if you're still well within the safety margin of the material, who cares? There's no benefit to swapping an aluminum wheel out with a steel wheel weighing 8-10 pounds more unless you're cracking aluminum wheels on a regular basis. It's just bad news for performance. You don't get extra credit for completely overkill solutions when it comes to vehicles where weight is bad for performance. You could pop on some big ol' train wheels and drive your BRZ on the train tracks and I bet you'd never have a flat tire or a cracked rim either, but that doesn't mean it will be faster. You could throw 400 pounds of steel bracing into your BRZ and give it a wonderfully stiff chassis, and it will be slower than mine around the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan04 View Post
Quite the opposite.

Steel wheels are heavier than aluminum wheels, so the extra unsprung weight hurt the handling.

There's absolute reason to run steelies unless you're esthetically retarded or absolute broke (in which case you should've even modify at all).

just sayin'
Even the latter reason isn't a good one. Go look through the internet, and I'll guarantee that you can find a set of alloy wheels that fit our cars for less than the 17" steelies on Tire Rack that people here buy because they're 'cheap'. Yeah, have a fun winter on 28 pounds of steel, I'm going to be having a more fun winter on 16 pounds of aluminum that I got for cheaper because I took the time to figure out what wheels will fit, search classifieds to find a set for sale locally, and drove a little bit to pick them up.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
Oh, right, because the stock wheels on the BRZ have so many fatigue related failures

Your logic is fundamentally flawed. Sure, I'd put my money on a ~17-20 pound aluminum wheel failing before a ~25-28 pound steel wheel. But what situation are you having aluminum wheels fail? I haven't seen any reports of that happening on the twins.

Sure, in theory, you're running the aluminum wheels at a higher load, but if you're still well within the safety margin of the material, who cares? There's no benefit to swapping an aluminum wheel out with a steel wheel weighing 8-10 pounds more unless you're cracking aluminum wheels on a regular basis. It's just bad news for performance. You don't get extra credit for completely overkill solutions when it comes to vehicles where weight is bad for performance. You could pop on some big ol' train wheels and drive your BRZ on the train tracks and I bet you'd never have a flat tire or a cracked rim either, but that doesn't mean it will be faster. You could throw 400 pounds of steel bracing into your BRZ and give it a wonderfully stiff chassis, and it will be slower than mine around the track.

Even the latter reason isn't a good one. Go look through the internet, and I'll guarantee that you can find a set of alloy wheels that fit our cars for less than the 17" steelies on Tire Rack that people here buy because they're 'cheap'. Yeah, have a fun winter on 28 pounds of steel, I'm going to be having a more fun winter on 16 pounds of aluminum that I got for cheaper because I took the time to figure out what wheels will fit, search classifieds to find a set for sale locally, and drove a little bit to pick them up.

wow...so you missed the part where a well engineered wheel from steel would weigh less than the aluminum counterpart because you have to allow in the design more material in an aluminum wheel because it has lower fatigue strength?

I never stated any of what you ASSumed, but you obviously have little exposure to reality, lots of aluminum rim failures occur all the time. it's not a theory, and you are not going to have such an issue with the factory rims i never even suggested such a thing, no one was in here talking about oem aluminum rims...are you lost little boy?

I see how you are trying to be cute and look all smart and stuff but you misunderstood everything in my post and simply look like a 13 year old child now. thanks for the laughs...this is where i'd say cheers but I don't want to be accused of encouraging underage drinking.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
wow...so you missed the part where a well engineered wheel from steel would weigh less than the aluminum counterpart because you have to allow in the design more material in an aluminum wheel because it has lower fatigue strength?

I never stated any of what you ASSumed, but you obviously have little exposure to reality, lots of aluminum rim failures occur all the time. it's not a theory, and you are not going to have such an issue with the factory rims i never even suggested such a thing, no one was in here talking about oem aluminum rims...are you lost little boy?

I see how you are trying to be cute and look all smart and stuff but you misunderstood everything in my post and simply look like a 13 year old child now. thanks for the laughs...this is where i'd say cheers but I don't want to be accused of encouraging underage drinking.
Oh, I must have misunderstood the thread. I thought we were talking about typical cheap steel wheels for passenger cars, specifically with regards to the twins. Didn't realize that we're having a theoretical debate over the best materials to use for a custom designed wheel for a race car. Maybe the fact that everyone else besides you was referring to regular ol' steel wheels was what gave me that impression.

Point still stands - you'd have to be an idiot to put steelies on a BRZ. Are you going to contest that? I'd hope not, you seem smarter than that.

You may be right about being able to design a steel wheel to be lighter than an aluminum one, but that's clearly not the type of steel wheel being discussed.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #18
deucethemoose
Functionally Retarded

Drives: LinkECU V6 MR2 - MKVII Golf R
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
e-peen sword fighting in this thread.

On topic - I came into this thread hoping (and really hoping not) to see a FRS/BRZ with Diamond Racing Wheels. I'm glad all I have seen is regular steel wheels.

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
deucethemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deucethemoose For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (08-12-2014)
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
They would be fun to drift, they are always available at the junkyard..actually thats not a bad idea, i can use some to learn how to drift..lol
CAMBAM_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
You may be right about being able to design a steel wheel to be lighter than an aluminum one, but that's clearly not the type of steel wheel being discussed.
+1

Your typical steelies will not only be heavier, but flex like soggy cardboard at their limits. Ever wonder why hubcaps always fly off in those old car chase scenes?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #21
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've handled plenty of oem wheelsets in my life, and usually I don't even need scales to know that the aluminium set are a lot heavier. Ok the alu set is usually one size up but perhaps that is a point also - oversizing. Edit: and hate to burst you bubble, but 99% of aftermarket aluminium wheels are designed for looks first, not for light weight, and although the choice in lightweight rims is better for this car, this is not because of US manufacturers or trends...

As for flex, for smooth track racing flex is bad, but good handling to me is not necessarily the same as superstiff chassis set-up, as some controlled flex actually helps on a bumpy back road, just as suspension travel is not an evil invention necessarily :p

Anyhow, if you greatly dislike the idea of a steel rim, why not just NOT read instead of being all negative and spoiling a PICTURE thread...

Last edited by Trettiosjuan; 06-11-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trettiosjuan For This Useful Post:
ML (06-11-2013), Sarlacc (08-10-2014)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Trettiosjuan

Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #23
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
anyone know any steel rims that will clear STI Brembo?

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
Trettiosjuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I am opening this thread again. It is not so important how much your wheel + tire weights, but where the center of mass is. You need the latter to be closer to the center of the wheel. When you put a lighter wheel, the center of mass is moving away from the center (i.e., the tire weight remains the same).
The center of mass is add always in the middle, unless you need balancing done

I think I understand what you're trying to say but that would be wrong. If your rim is lighter, the moment of inertia will still become lower even if relatively more mass is in tje tire.
But indeed geometry comes into play also, and a smaller rim will be better than a bigger (tire and rim weight the same) because the mass of the barrel will be closer to the center...
Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #25
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i think it looks lame and cheap but apparently it's a popular look with a niche group of youngsters these days. http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/
Old 08-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #26
CAMBAM_6
CAMBAM

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Brought back from the dead, steelie apocalypse.
All those FRS/BRZ look like they either got flat tires or were in a accident, thats normally what you see in Junkyards....because its junk!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'd love to see the twins on some deep dish steelies
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calmtigers For This Useful Post:
Trettiosjuan (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #28
Trettiosjuan

Hmm. Revived? Really? Only found one nice picture here yet - no pride with steelies apparently.

That's ok, just seems I am that weirdo here with priorities like this:
1. Function
2. Cost
3. Looks (I cared enough to start a picture thread, no luck)

Instead of this (my observation only of the wheel section):
1. Looks stance
2. Looks bling
3. Looks functional
4. Cost
5. Function

LOL

Tags
ghetto wheels