follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
sjuliani88

Drives: 2018 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
reprogramming key 2018 86

Im having a bit of trouble with a flooded 2018 86 with a conventional key ignition switch.
The main body computer doesnt communicate after it was flooded. ecu, instrument cluster and two keys are good and communicating. I swapped the body computer with a spare i had but cant reprogram the keys with techstream.
Are the keys registered in the bcm? or in the other modules (ecu,cluster?)
If in the bcm , as i suspect, does anyone know the exact chip in the module that contains the key codes ( i think i can swap the chips from the old bcm to the new bcm)
sjuliani88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
Robcokiwi

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just went through a similar thing with a flood vehicle. I am not totally sure what you mean by the main body computer or bcm. Here is what I do know - as shared by opie -
There are 3 components that work as a "System" for the Immobilizer to work correctly and allow the car to start. If swapping parts between cars all 3 components must be swapped/used in order for proper communication to start the car.
The main body ECU (network gateway ECU) *also called the BIU, it's the black box attached to the interior fuse box, the combination meter (gauge cluster) and the keys (keys will require swapping the ignition lock cylinder and the door/trunk lock cylinders).

If any of the parts are used/installed individually the system will not allow the car to start. Once any of these components are programmed together, they must stay together and cannot be reprogrammed to work individually.

Hopefully that helps.
Robcokiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bcm, immobilizer, key, programming, transponder