follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #29
Briankbot

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermMX5 View Post
I really need an exhaust that isn't going to kill me on the highway, because I drive 20k miles a year normally lol.

So I'm looking for something with 0 drone, low weight, and that gives me that magical 1hp. I'd really prefer dual tips, so the only thing that fits all that is the borla as far as I know.
I'm the friend with the Tanabe Concept G exhaust Justin mentioned. While it is a single outlet, in street class trim I've never been bothered by drone on any of the road trips I've taken. That includes Denver->Portland x2, Denver->LA, Denver->College Station, Denver->Lincoln x6. Any of those trips I made on RE71s had me cursing the tire noise though.
Briankbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #30
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The thing to remember is that most will quiet down over time as they get loaded up with soot. At 20k/year, you'll see a big quiet down after just a couple weeks.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #31
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I like the sound of the Nameless delete that I've run for 4+ years, but I'd like to try something else because it was not that ideal and might have become more droney over the years.

It's nice to see your progress. I was on the other side of you at the Devens event and glad to see you fixed the positive camber. I like the look of the single Ft86 Factory system, but I heard it might be droney too?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #32
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I like the sound of the Nameless delete that I've run for 4+ years, but I'd like to try something else because it was not that ideal and might have become more droney over the years.

It's nice to see your progress. I was on the other side of you at the Devens event and glad to see you fixed the positive camber. I like the look of the single Ft86 Factory system, but I heard it might be droney too?
Hey nice to hear from you!

And ya I had been looking at reviews for the nameless delete and I'm just too paranoid about the drone, if I can find the flange anywhere local I might just weld a 2 inch pipe downward to see how bad it is for race days.

Although I'm sure I wont want to take that stock exhaust on and off too many times.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #33
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Update time!

So after a lot of really good events the car is finally starting to feel planted in transitions and is really a joy to drive.

I also found that on my 235s If I go much below 35 up front, then on pretty much any turn, my car understeers like crazy, and does the front tire "shudder". 35-37 up front seems to be giving me the best response and times. Whereas the rears are typically at 29-30.

I think this is because of a couple of things, the first being that I was only able to get 1.2 degrees of camber up front with the stock bolts and with loosening EVERYTHING so I feel as though my car is just camber limited. The second reason I think is because of my 20mm bar on full stiff. I might try an event with it on the softer setting to see if it feels any better at lower pressures.

But all of this season has showed me that I really want to go to STX next year, so I already picked up the OFT and I'm going in for a baseline stock dyno on Wednesday before I start throwing on power parts. I'll probably test out the OFT at a few of the lax events, mainly for the rev limiter to try and get my top 2nd gear speed up a bit.

My goal is todo a budget STX build, under 6k I think, which won't get me first at nationals, but I feel should be competitive.

That's all for now!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #34
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I switched to a Blitz Nur-SPEC VSR dual exit exhaust. It weighs a bit more than the Tanabe but is really quiet with no drone. The extra weight is not a huge deal...

Also, I would put the money into the suspension/wheels first. Do engine stuff last. OFT/tune is probably the best upgrade for the engine for short term.