follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #127
JTM

Drives: 2013 FRS-6MT Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Bob,
did you guys use the Dry AFE kit or the Oiled?
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #128
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM View Post
Bob,
did you guys use the Dry AFE kit or the Oiled?
It says it in the first post. They used the dry filter.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cnk For This Useful Post:
JTM (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #129
JTM

Drives: 2013 FRS-6MT Argento
Garage
Thanks cnk, but I meant to ask about the Airaid. I guess I still had AFE on my mind.
JTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #130
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicer66 View Post
Are there any negative effects that come along with the engine running leaner over time?
The injen intake and an exhaust are all I really have planned for the short term, unless this intake causes long term issues.
burnt pistons.
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #131
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP Auto View Post
burnt pistons.
Damn straight skippy
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #132
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
but its just mind boggling that Airaid would do something like this, make a product that doesn't work for what it is supposed to do, give gains and would still sell it.
Truth be told, I was surprised too. But I'll say this - it wouldn't be the first time that I took an intake that didn't live up to the hype or deliver the results as promised. There are other (read : much bigger) companies that post plenty of numbers to sell their stuff that didn't make the cut either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP Auto View Post
burnt pistons.
You'd have to be in a long term endurance race at WOT load for that to happen @ those AFRs. But yes, that's one short answer if someone had their foot to the ground going 130MPH+ for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Not sure about you, but I certainly don't see enuff of those situations.

Regards,

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (10-24-2012), Style (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #133
JDMrolla

Drives: AE86 and white FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post

You'd have to be in a long term endurance race at WOT load for that to happen @ those AFRs. But yes, that's one short answer if someone had their foot to the ground going 130MPH+ for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Not sure about you, but I certainly don't see enuff of those situations.

Regards,

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC

I wasnt planning on getting a tune. I installed my Injen intake and i havent had any issues with it. But burnt pistons doesnt sound very appetizing tho. should i just go ahead and get a tune? seems like the advise on here isnt very clear or straight forward, everyone has their own opinion.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #134
Drift-Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrolla View Post
I wasnt planning on getting a tune. I installed my Injen intake and i havent had any issues with it. But burnt pistons doesnt sound very appetizing tho. should i just go ahead and get a tune? seems like the advise on here isnt very clear or straight forward, everyone has their own opinion.
The fact of the matter is you need to get your car on the dyno to see what it's doing and your tuner will / should be able to see that and quantify whether it's running too rich or lean, and adjust the AFRs accordingly. That is of course, unless you're planning on getting an E-Tune. In this business, no two cars / motors are going to be exactly the same. Getting it tuned at your locality is better than a "one size fits all" off the shelf tune from someone that's thousands of miles away at a different elevation, temperature and fuel availability.

No one has really seen the long-term effects of any of these products and truth be told, if it was THAT lean, you'd be seeing other drivability issues long before the pistons get cooked...

My 2 cents.

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
JDMrolla (10-24-2012), TAP Auto Parts (10-26-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #135
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Quote:
The fact of the matter is you need to get your car on the dyno to see what it's doing and your tuner will / should be able to see that and quantify whether it's running too rich or lean, and adjust the AFRs accordingly. That is of course, unless you're planning on getting an E-Tune. In this business, no two cars / motors are going to be exactly the same. Getting it tuned at your locality is better than a "one size fits all" off the shelf tune from someone that's thousands of miles away at a different elevation, temperature and fuel availability.

No one has really seen the long-term effects of any of these products and truth be told, if it was THAT lean, you'd be seeing other drivability issues long before the pistons get cooked...

My 2 cents.

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Question for you, Since the Injen intake is leaning out my A/Fr, why i am having backfire when shifting under low rpm(up to 3800rpm). It might have nothing to do with the Intake, just happened to happen after i installed it.

It seems it is coming from the mid-pipe, But it might be since i am running a bit leaner, my cylinder temp goes up a little bit, and it might be killing my cat or i don't know.
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #136
Drift-Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by canu_50 View Post
Question for you, Since the Injen intake is leaning out my A/Fr, why i am having backfire when shifting under low rpm(up to 3800rpm). It might have nothing to do with the Intake, just happened to happen after i installed it.

It seems it is coming from the mid-pipe, But it might be since i am running a bit leaner, my cylinder temp goes up a little bit, and it might be killing my cat or i don't know.
It's hard to say since the Injen intake seems to be the biggest hit or miss for people from what I've read here on the forums. I won't profess to be able to debunk this but let me ask a few more questions :

1) Are you running much leaner? Do we know for sure? Are you getting way better fuel economy since most of what we do in cruise is under 3k RPM, did you mileage go up significantly? Quantifying how much leaner would be helpful as well.

2) I assume the rest of car is OEM stock, so you're getting a popping sound from the mid-pipe (post-cat) after the intake install?

3) Cylinder temp going up - we've all got that analog gauge - how much more significantly is the temp going up?

4) Lastly, did you put the stock OEM intake back on and see if all these issues went away? I'm particularly curious about the cylinder temp going up bit - that shouldn't be the case and certainly not to the point where temps have gone up that acutely... Hmmm.

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #137
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
I have answered you in your quote.

Quote:
It's hard to say since the Injen intake seems to be the biggest hit or miss for people from what I've read here on the forums. I won't profess to be able to debunk this but let me ask a few more questions :

1) Are you running much leaner? Do we know for sure? Are you getting way better fuel economy since most of what we do in cruise is under 3k RPM, did you mileage go up significantly? Quantifying how much leaner would be helpful as well. ( i Haven't put a wideband on the car, but i could i still have mine laying around from my skyline, this would tell us how lean i run. The fact i said i am running leaner, is hypothetic. As for Fuel economy, i am tracking the car at least once a week, and i never really look for that, still because coming from old japanese turbo car, if you start looking you will be very disapointed.)

2) I assume the rest of car is OEM stock, so you're getting a popping sound from the mid-pipe (post-cat) after the intake install?( exactly, seems post cat, but doesn't do it everytime)

3) Cylinder temp going up - we've all got that analog gauge - how much more significantly is the temp going up? (You mean water gauge in dash, i don't whink it will be significant enough to make a difference on the gauge. It was again hypothetic, because this is what usually happens when you are running lean)

4) Lastly, did you put the stock OEM intake back on and see if all these issues went away? I'm particularly curious about the cylinder temp going up bit - that shouldn't be the case and certainly not to the point where temps have gone up that acutely... Hmmm. (I have been a lazy these past week, i wanted to do it, but i prefered taking care of my brake for lapping and put back the stock suspension for winter.)

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #138
just86

Drives: 2013 genesis rspec
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
injen it is, no brianer after dyno charts
just86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #139
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by just86 View Post
injen it is, no brianer after dyno charts
Ugh, did you read the thread?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #140
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Ugh, did you read the thread?
That's funny!
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote