follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #491
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Been a customer of Neal’s for 5 years now. Helps maintain and upgrade my dedicated track 86. He’s done everything from clutch replacements to solid bushing installs to dyno tuning. I feel at ease when dealing with Neal as he is reliable and knows the 86 platform like the back of his hand! Will keep taking my cars to him no question.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #492
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
LOL are we going to see every single person that hasn't logged on the forum in months or years pop up and say "Oh they are great I love them"?
Did somebody send for the cavalry?
Old 10-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #493
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL are we going to see every single person that hasn't logged on the forum in months or years pop up and say "Oh they are great I love them"?
Did somebody send for the cavalry?

I think its more that when a shop does good work your pleased about, gives solid advice and insight, offers good prices for honest work. Also hosts large meet events and gives a lot to the community. You make friends who will go out of there way to offer their positive experience. I know that I would be super bummed if TRL wasn't around. Even living down in SoCal I plan on eventually going back up to Neal for certain part installations or even calling for general advice. Having experienced multiple shady shops and dealers going to Neal is not only far more cost effective but I think it also gets better results. He is an easy guy to defend if you have ever meet him.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Bones36 (10-31-2019), clayrush (11-13-2019), sftateofmind (10-17-2020)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #494
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
I never said bent. I said it made a slight indentation. You can try dropping an impact gun rated socket onto your wheel, and see what I mean.
Well, I've dropped plenty in my time. Don't know if I've ever hit a wheel but I just don't see how an indentation or dent could happen. You think you get more damage from driving the thing. I guess my point it, unless this is a car that is trailered to shows I wouldn't worry about it. Cars get beat to hell when just daily driven. There's nothing you can do about it.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
clayrush (11-13-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #495
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Well, I've dropped plenty in my time. Don't know if I've ever hit a wheel but I just don't see how an indentation or dent could happen. You think you get more damage from driving the thing. I guess my point it, unless this is a car that is trailered to shows I wouldn't worry about it. Cars get beat to hell when just daily driven. There's nothing you can do about it.
I think you're picturing something big like curb rash. It's a small half inch indentation. However, my wheels had no damage prior to that despite being my DD at the time. Wasn't big enough for me to want to risk causing more issues with a repair. I was more disappointed in him not saying anything than being mad about the damage.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #496
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I think its more that when a shop does good work your pleased about, gives solid advice and insight, offers good prices for honest work. Also hosts large meet events and gives a lot to the community. You make friends who will go out of there way to offer their positive experience. I know that I would be super bummed if TRL wasn't around. Even living down in SoCal I plan on eventually going back up to Neal for certain part installations or even calling for general advice. Having experienced multiple shady shops and dealers going to Neal is not only far more cost effective but I think it also gets better results. He is an easy guy to defend if you have ever meet him.
So is Josh!
Don't think either party here is in the wrong really.
A negative review was made by an unhappy customer that had some legit issues it happens.
An equally negative response was posted by the vendor who was upset with a negative review. Also happens.
The guys that pop up out of nowhere to say "Great service" are a bit odd but I suppose that also happens.
Sapphireho (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #497
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Even the best people in earth make mistakes. My opinion, the difference between the Good and great is how you handle mistakes/bad case. Make no excuses, admit mistake, make it right asap. That gets you from good to great.

I have met both parties. Both good people. I hope it gets worked out.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Pwolf (11-10-2019), The Racers Line (11-21-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #498
osi

Drives: Raven Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First off wow reading the last couple of pages... people need to chill out its car mods, shit happens, move on. If there is an issue deal with it in person then post how it went here (so its not pages of he said she said)

Adding my experience to the thread -

I recently had Neal do a JRSC install on my 2013 frs, and couldn't be happier with the results. He answered all my questions and gave me a lot of little tips to watch out for after the install was done. I'm about 3k miles into life with a little boost and I'm 100% happy I went to TRL for the work, I'll be taking all my future work outside of engine internals to Neal. This poor frs gets hooned a lot, so I am super excited to find a great local shop.
osi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to osi For This Useful Post:
The Racers Line (12-03-2019)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #499
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Oh man, i came here to make a new post about an install Neal did for me about a month ago and then i see all this.

I know both parties. I think honestly both sides are both correct and wrong at the same time.

I get Josh's frustrations for sure. My Daily for a long time was my BRZ and it was heavily modded. If anything happened to it, i'd be impatient AF trying to get it fixed. That compounded with mistakes that happened can definitely make for a really bad overall experience. I think however due to this experience, Josh didnt realize that Neal is one of the few mechanics who is willing to take responsibility for things that happened and will gladly fix them if they are brought up right when they happen. Or hell even if a bit after they happen.

Neal has always provided great service. However i do also believe its gotten to a point where he's too busy to the point where its almost too much. Constantly booked 2-3 weeks out, constantly getting new customers, always new issues. And then topping it off having a death in the family (my condolences) while still trying to maintain as much professionalism as possible. Have you ever been in customer service where the job and the company are you and not some big company that you dont give af about and then have a tragic family accident? Its almost impossible to keep working at the same level. its emotionally taxing on a level thats incomprehensible. I will have to say though all these emotions did not lend itself to the most professional response online. Part of me wishes that Neal had responded a bit less with emotion or not at all, however it definetly shows the stress he is going through during this time.

End of the day, both parties are justified in their frustrations. I'll still take my cars to Neal and only Neal even though i live almost an hour away. And i'll still hang out with Josh if he invites me out to a car meet.

I agree with Clipdat in that i do like seeing a negative review every now and then. It shows that we are all just human. We all make mistakes. Sure its our job, but if you honestly believe that just because its someone's job, they arent going to or allowed to make mistakes, then you seriously are ignorant. Things will always happen. Hell i had heart surgery with the best heart surgeon in North America when i was 18. I had to go back under the knife when i was 25 because the surgery that was performed didnt last like he thought it would. Thats a mistake. It sucks, but im fixed and not dying anymore lol. Either way, i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss Neal or TRL for service for your car. But i also wouldnt be so quick to claim Neal is the end all be all of mechanics. Just like everything in life, there is a level of risk involved in anything you do. I prefer to go to Neal because at the end of the day, that risk is minimized.

P.S. Neal installed an APR GTC-200 and an Eibach front Sway bar on my Autocross Spec S2000. Car is amazing and handles like a dream. Cant wait till i show up at his show next year when i get my M2 Competition.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
86_IT (01-29-2020), strat61caster (10-15-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #500
NathanielSproul

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Had coilovers and rear lower control arms installed by Neal a few weeks back. He was extremely professional and honest during the entire process, going as far as to recommend I don't have certain parts installed because my car is a daily. Overall, I was extremely happy with the results that he provided.

For those of you that are worried with the COVID-19 pandemic, EVERYONE that was in the shop was wearing a mask the entire time that I was present. None of that leaving your nose out BS either. I never once felt uncomfortable at my short stay in the shop.

You will definitely see me returning sometime soon!
NathanielSproul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NathanielSproul For This Useful Post:
byun (10-28-2020), doggieboy09 (10-15-2020), Lonewolf (01-13-2021), The Racers Line (10-23-2020), vintagemxer (11-18-2020)
Old 01-06-2021, 11:56 AM   #501
Jugknuckle

Drives: Scion FR-S Release 2.0 #435
Another years-long satisfied customer

Hi, I’m Andrew, I’ve been getting my RS2.0 (#435) serviced by The Racer’s Line for the last three services, 22500, 30K, then 37500 yesterday. Each time was excellent. He gives me a huge amount of information very quickly in ways I can easily understand. My car has been 100% reliable, and each question I’ve had he answered and his answer stood the test of time over the next 7500 miles. He checked the quality of the things other vendors have done to my car, which is very reassuring.

Thanks Neal. Cheers mate!
Attached Images

Jugknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jugknuckle For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (01-13-2021), The Racers Line (01-06-2021), vintagemxer (02-27-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #502
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I want an RS 2.0 so bad, but cant condemn it to the fate of midwest salt.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:00 PM   #503
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not sure how many still frequent the forum, but its worth the bump.

I'm closing the shop down for the Holidays from December 20th to January 10th. I will still be reachable by email, and my other shop Contra Costa Auto Service will be open and taking appointments. They are familiar with the twins, and have the ability to diagnose and repair just as I do, just no tuning/boosting work.

Contra Costa Auto Service
1-925-798-1205
www.concordautorepair.net

Thanks everybody, and Happy Holidays!
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (12-16-2021), finch1750 (12-16-2021), norcalpb (12-20-2021), Pat (12-15-2021), Sypher (12-26-2021), tintumz22 (12-16-2021)
Old 02-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #504
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
What to do while you're waiting for your car in Concord?

Hey everyone. I live in the South Bay and I'm heading up in a couple weeks on a Saturday to get my new (to me) Ohlins R&T Coilovers installed and to get my brakes and alignment sorted for my first track days.

It looks like it's going to take about 5 hours. Does anyone have a suggestion what what to do while i wait?
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote