follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #15
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Doesn't the OFT have the ability to disable the TPMS light?
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The TPMS sensors look like this:

If you realize that long part is a valve stem, it should be pretty obvious how this is installed inside the rim. See that number on the right hand side? That's the address that tells the body control module how to talk to that sensor. The BCM only stores one set of sensor addresses at a time and doesn't store old ones if you replace your TPMS sensors.

When you first get one of these cars new, there's one of these in each full sized rim/tire. If you install aftermarket rims, you have several options:

1. You can just ignore them, in which case you'll get a TMPS light on the dash. Thank the US federal government for that.

2. You can swap your original TPMS sensors to the new rims. This requires your tires to be removed temporarily from your old rims to retrieve them. Once the new rims rotate a few times, the car will recognize its old friends still programmed into the body control module.

3. You can get another set of TPMS sensors (new or used) and have them programmed to the car in place of the originals, leaving your original sensors in the original rims. Most tire shops can program in the new addresses when they install the tires, or you can do it yourself with something like an ATEQ Quickset tool. Techstream is also alleged to be able to do it, but I haven't used it myself.

However, to do that, you or the installer needs those numbers on the sensors to be able to address them in your body control module. If you buy a set of rims and tires that already have the sensors inside them, but you don't have the numbers, the installer has to pull the tires off to get that number. The car can't just "detect" those numbers if they're not already in its memory. If you just install rims and sensors without addressing them, you'll get the federal government light on your dash. Thanks Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
I am assuming for now, the owner probably had someone turn it off and kept the stock rims and sensors. But I plan to revert the car back to all stock even wheels. How do I go about this?

Do I ask him up front, "how did you manage the TPMS sensor after swapping tires? did you keep the stock sensors?"
Yes. I would definitely ask that question. It would be helpful for you to know what he did.

Are you getting the original rims and tires with the car? If the original sensors are still in them, ask him if he has the numbers of those original sensors. If he does, they can be programmed in without having to take the tires off the rims.

Some of us use something like that ATEQ Quickset tool I mentioned above to program the TPMS system ourselves. It will store four sets of TPMS sensors in it. When I put my rims on my car, I got a second set of sensors and stored both sets in the ATEQ so I can flash them back quickly if I ever need to swap back to the stock rims. If you're getting the original rims and tires and the seller used something like that to program them himself, he may have the addresses still stored in the tool.

If you want your own ATEQ, they're about $120 new, but occasionally they pop up on Ebay for $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leevanf View Post
And is it as simple as going back to another wheel shop, handing them over the stock wheels and sensors to reinstall again?
Might be. None of it is really as complicated as it seems. It's just a mystery to most people because most people don't mount their own tires and never even see the sensors.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
BaBaFlyingSheep (06-30-2017), Busybee (05-15-2020), jmark (09-07-2017), Tcoat (06-09-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
Sforzato

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
I can't answer that question, you would have to ask the owner. If the wheels still have the stock tires on them I would assume that the TPMS sensors are there. It would have cost more to unmount the stock tires from the stock wheel and put the TPMS sensor on the new wheel and tire, most people would opt to leave them off for the sake of saving money.

It's cost me about 130.00 to transfer the sensors from my stocks to aftermarket. Not sure the average. But yes the car can only save one set of (4wheels)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sforzato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #18
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com

Drives: 2017_86 2016_frs 2007_335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
The TPMS sensors look like this:

If you realize that long part is a valve stem, it should be pretty obvious how this is installed inside the rim. See that number on the right hand side? That's the address that tells the body control module how to talk to that sensor. The BCM only stores one set of sensor addresses at a time and doesn't store old ones if you replace your TPMS sensors.

When you first get one of these cars new, there's one of these in each full sized rim/tire. If you install aftermarket rims, you have several options:

1. You can just ignore them, in which case you'll get a TMPS light on the dash. Thank the US federal government for that.

2. You can swap your original TPMS sensors to the new rims. This requires your tires to be removed temporarily from your old rims to retrieve them. Once the new rims rotate a few times, the car will recognize its old friends still programmed into the body control module.

3. You can get another set of TPMS sensors (new or used) and have them programmed to the car in place of the originals, leaving your original sensors in the original rims. Most tire shops can program in the new addresses when they install the tires, or you can do it yourself with something like an ATEQ Quickset tool. Techstream is also alleged to be able to do it, but I haven't used it myself.

However, to do that, you or the installer needs those numbers on the sensors to be able to address them in your body control module. If you buy a set of rims and tires that already have the sensors inside them, but you don't have the numbers, the installer has to pull the tires off to get that number. The car can't just "detect" those numbers if they're not already in its memory. If you just install rims and sensors without addressing them, you'll get the federal government light on your dash. Thanks Obama.

Yes. I would definitely ask that question. It would be helpful for you to know what he did.

Are you getting the original rims and tires with the car? If the original sensors are still in them, ask him if he has the numbers of those original sensors. If he does, they can be programmed in without having to take the tires off the rims.

Some of us use something like that ATEQ Quickset tool I mentioned above to program the TPMS system ourselves. It will store four sets of TPMS sensors in it. When I put my rims on my car, I got a second set of sensors and stored both sets in the ATEQ so I can flash them back quickly if I ever need to swap back to the stock rims. If you're getting the original rims and tires and the seller used something like that to program them himself, he may have the addresses still stored in the tool.

If you want your own ATEQ, they're about $120 new, but occasionally they pop up on Ebay for $50.

Might be. None of it is really as complicated as it seems. It's just a mystery to most people because most people don't mount their own tires and never even see the sensors.
can i replace a new value stem on those oem sensor ?
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #19
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com View Post
can i replace a new value stem on those oem sensor ?
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I think the stem is integrated into the unit. If you find out differently, let us know.

The valve core inside the stem is most likely replaceable. Those are usually just standard generic Schrader valves that screw right in and out. Auto parts stores and even WalMart carry little kits with replacement cores and a little tool to remove and install them.

Be sure to let the air out completely before unscrewing a valve core and wear eye protection or at least turn your face away. Unscrewing one with pressure remaining behind it is a good way to shoot your eye out.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 AM   #20
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com

Drives: 2017_86 2016_frs 2007_335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I think the stem is integrated into the unit. If you find out differently, let us know.

The valve core inside the stem is most likely replaceable. Those are usually just standard generic Schrader valves that screw right in and out. Auto parts stores and even WalMart carry little kits with replacement cores and a little tool to remove and install them.

Be sure to let the air out completely before unscrewing a valve core and wear eye protection or at least turn your face away. Unscrewing one with pressure remaining behind it is a good way to shoot your eye out.
i bought a rpf1 wheels come with a red valve stem, really like it but
my 2017 86 has those tpms , i finally decided just use the oem tpms which
is one piece type. so i need use the oem valve stem tooo.

let me know if anyone has find a sensor fit those valve stem come with rpf1
jayliu.jiayu@gamil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
Firecruiser

Drives: 2014 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
I know for sure the TPMS ECU can store at least 8 codes and probably more before it will forget a code.
I wish our ecu would store 8 codes. Sadly its only 4 so if swapping seasonal wheels you have to reprogram tpms codes.
Firecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote