follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2022, 07:49 PM   #29
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
This. If proper maintenance and driving is done, i do not see a reason for any modern cars to fail even when used as a lapping/track car. There are even poop loads of FA20s that still survives to this day even after heavy heavy track use. Time will tell is f there is indeed a design or parts problem with the FA24.
yep. the 'burnt oil' indicator he says himself makes me especially curious as far as what change schedule he was working off of.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
yep. the 'burnt oil' indicator he says himself makes me especially curious as far as what change schedule he was working off of.
Says he has changed it 6 times though.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:29 PM   #31
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Says he has changed it 6 times though.
oh, i missed that part
Old 10-04-2022, 01:21 AM   #32
gcmak

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siko232 View Post
Seems like another one has blown engine, no conclusions on the culprit RTV yet.
There will not [likely] be follow-up from this individual. They've chosen to move on from the twins and most likely back to another platform they have had years of experience with prior to trying out this platform.

I have 9 HPDEs on my car with just over 4,000 miles on the ODO and no mods to the engine/cooling. I'm using different oil and more frequent change intervals and do actively monitor temps as I lap. I don't consider this the best approach, but it's the one I'm taking until I decide and find suitable hardware.

While I think the best route for track junkies is prevention - oil cooler - it's my general rule to prepare myself for certain costs associated with participating in motorsport, and to never just assume warranty has your back.

It's a $30K car with not all that much of a profit margin for the OEM. This is a lot of money for a lot of people and while I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from experiencing HPDE or other motorsports, these are machines, built to a budget and with fluids and maintenance schedules rated for commuter type use. If you're going to modify the rest of the car and push it hard often, you're rolling the dice if you're not taking added measures to protect the engine and other components. The GR Cup series and cars that will be landing next year will be something to closely follow.
gcmak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gcmak For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (10-04-2022), soundman98 (10-04-2022), Tcoat (10-04-2022), Wally86 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 AM   #33
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post
There will not [likely] be follow-up from this individual. They've chosen to move on from the twins and most likely back to another platform they have had years of experience with prior to trying out this platform.

I have 9 HPDEs on my car with just over 4,000 miles on the ODO and no mods to the engine/cooling. I'm using different oil and more frequent change intervals and do actively monitor temps as I lap. I don't consider this the best approach, but it's the one I'm taking until I decide and find suitable hardware.

While I think the best route for track junkies is prevention - oil cooler - it's my general rule to prepare myself for certain costs associated with participating in motorsport, and to never just assume warranty has your back.

It's a $30K car with not all that much of a profit margin for the OEM. This is a lot of money for a lot of people and while I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from experiencing HPDE or other motorsports, these are machines, built to a budget and with fluids and maintenance schedules rated for commuter type use. If you're going to modify the rest of the car and push it hard often, you're rolling the dice if you're not taking added measures to protect the engine and other components. The GR Cup series and cars that will be landing next year will be something to closely follow.
THANK YOU!

There are reasons that even with their very expensive custom built engines professional racing teams have at least one spare ready to go at all times.
You consistently push any machine to the limit and eventually you are going to exceed it's design abilities. As you said proper maintenance for the type of use will help extend that period but it can still happen.
gcmak (10-08-2022), Wally86 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 11:42 AM   #34
greengs

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 2022 Tacoma Pro
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have 0 worries about this. Don't track it, it's just my fun daily to get to work and back. If it blows it blows. 5 year warranty in place. 0% chance I will own it that long anyways so just enjoy it as much as I can until I get bored and move onto something else.
greengs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengs For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 04:05 PM   #35
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmak View Post

I think it's also important to recognize the difference of 1 or 2 track days a year and 20. I would also consider track driving significantly harder on a car than autocross. SOME people seem to lump it all into one group. A new sports car should be able to mechanically take a track day without a ton of issues. Maybe some heat management problems, especially with turbo cars, I could see as acceptable. I still wouldn't expect a new car to have major drivetrain issues after 20 track days, but I also would hope that someone doing 20 track days a year, isn't using their daily driver, and has accepted that these things can happen.

I want to say that a stock BP in a Miata is considered a 200 hour motor for track work, and I would lump an 86 in the same track-ready expectation as a Miata. Hell, I recently did a track day at VIR in a 250k mile Miata with its totally original drivetrain, and it didn't complain one bit.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foshjowler For This Useful Post:
gcmak (10-08-2022), Tcoat (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:24 PM   #36
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
There was a comment on it by the Chief Engineer during the GR86 release, he stated they know about the RTV issue but because of the 5 sides in the pickup grill they don't think it would be an issue.

Trying to find the particular article that mentioned that conversation, will update when I do.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:04 AM   #37
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I think it's also important to recognize the difference of 1 or 2 track days a year and 20. I would also consider track driving significantly harder on a car than autocross. SOME people seem to lump it all into one group. A new sports car should be able to mechanically take a track day without a ton of issues. Maybe some heat management problems, especially with turbo cars, I could see as acceptable. I still wouldn't expect a new car to have major drivetrain issues after 20 track days, but I also would hope that someone doing 20 track days a year, isn't using their daily driver, and has accepted that these things can happen.

I want to say that a stock BP in a Miata is considered a 200 hour motor for track work, and I would lump an 86 in the same track-ready expectation as a Miata. Hell, I recently did a track day at VIR in a 250k mile Miata with its totally original drivetrain, and it didn't complain one bit.
For the sake of simplicity we can say there are two categories. One is "normal" street driving and the other is "performance" driving. Of course the reality is that there are many sub categories of each of these and some may beat the car up more on the street or autocross than somebody else on a full fledged track day but a line needs to be drawn someplace and the Toyota warranty phrasing has done that.
There is no way to say that it should be good for 2 or 20 track days. When pushing the car to it's limits one small mistake can take out an engine in the first few seconds of the very first lap. Or it could just keep going and going no matter what you do to it.
It is an inexpensive car designed for the street but given some track abilities not a over built race car that can be driven on the street. These are two totally different things. You totally nailed it that people using it as a track car on a regular basis should be prepared for issues.
Ernest72 (10-13-2022), gcmak (10-08-2022), soundman98 (10-05-2022)

Tags
brz, engine, gr86, rtv, silicone