follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2023, 08:51 PM   #1
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Won T50 class with COMSCC :D

Big thanks to much-beloved friends (who somehow I don't know their names here on the site...): Hector Ruiz and Sash Dias for lettin me borrow their cars for the first two events at NHMS and Palmer CCW (two 2nd places vs. my two nemeses who split the wins in the NC that dominated last year) and Doug Flematti for loaning me tires for the win at NJMP Lightning (my 1st event in the new '23 BRZ) Rest of the year was back and forth between myself and the NC's "fast" driver (they're both fast but one is stupid fast). Took a surprise win at Thompson, then an expected loss but by a lot *less* than expected at Palmer CW, then an expected win but by *less* than expected at Watkins Glen, and then NHMS South Oval which I expected to lose by a lot but was within a tenth! Anyway, results for the events this season here: https://www.comscc.org/events-results/event-results/

I had to run the '23 BRZ with a *lot* of ballast. Competition weight in the old 2017 was 2907 lb., vs. 3107 lb for the new car, +200 lb.! I got there by putting the '17's spare tire in the back along with 120 lb. of steel-shot ballast weight bags from McMaster Carr, so about +150 lb. or so back there. Good news is this somehow resulted in 51.5/48.5 weight distribution, which is a pretty good improvement over the old car where I'd taken a decent amount of weight off of the front and had a little ballast in back but was 53.5/46.5.

The '23 is *way* faster at the ends of the straights vs. the old car. Like +4-5mph at slower tracks, and as much as +10mph at Watkins Glen (!) but I think at least 2-3mph of that was due to a tailwind on day one.

Big thanks to Myles and everyone at RaceComp Engineering, the SS2 coilovers work *GREAT* on the street and at the track! Tremendous improvement over my 2017 setup at the track while also being smooove and comfy on the street. Amazing! I did make one mod to the "standard" RCE SS2 setup, big big thanks to @NoHaveMSG for providing 9k springs for the rear to go with the 7k front springs! The car is *soooo* neutral. Had been fighting mid-corner understeer in the old car. Honestly I probably would have been fine with the 7k/7k setup but I don't mind a little tail-happiness and usually appreciate it!

Also big thanks to CounterSpaceGarage and @CSG Mike for brake pad recommendations, Spec C2 front with C11 rears worked great over 8 track days, always great bite no matter the conditions, well balanced, and also thousands of street miles with no probs. Honestly these pads cost a li'l more but for me they are very much worth it as they last *forever* but primarily they bite hard (skinny leg can only mash brake pedal so hard) and are very modulatable and controllable. Best pads I've ever used...

Anyway, another great season with COMSCC, if you are in the New England area I *highly* recommend you join us at the track next year!

Last edited by ZDan; 11-07-2023 at 09:17 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-08-2023), Code Monkey (11-07-2023), CSG Mike (11-07-2023), NoHaveMSG (11-08-2023), nomtimesthree (11-08-2023), RedReplicant (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:34 AM   #2
nomtimesthree

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Also big thanks to CounterSpaceGarage and @CSG Mike for brake pad recommendations, Spec C2 front with C11 rears worked great over 8 track days, always great bite no matter the conditions, well balanced, and also thousands of street miles with no probs. Honestly these pads cost a li'l more but for me they are very much worth it as they last *forever* but primarily they bite hard (skinny leg can only mash brake pedal so hard) and are very modulatable and controllable. Best pads I've ever used...

In your experience how does this setup compare to the PP Brembos you had prior? Debating if I want to make the jump to CSG pads on the standard brakes versus going to PP Brembos for track use.

Last edited by nomtimesthree; 11-09-2023 at 06:20 AM.
nomtimesthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:36 AM   #3
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomtimesthree View Post
In your experience how does this setup compare to the PP Brembos you had prior? Debating if I want to make the jump to CSG pads for the on the standard brakes versus going to PP Brembos for track use.
You don't need Brembos. They look GREAT, and make pad swaps easier, but you are not losing anything in terms of lap time running the standard brakes with *good* pads. Highly recommend CSG pads!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
nomtimesthree (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #4
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't need Brembos. They look GREAT, and make pad swaps easier, but you are not losing anything in terms of lap time running the standard brakes with *good* pads. Highly recommend CSG pads!
Quote:
You're hitting the right points for sure. The nice part of Brembos or any BBK is that not only do pad swaps get easier but you get the benefits of better brakes. However, the other benefits are things like upgraded brake lines and, hopefully, upgraded fluid.

Obviously, classes like SCCA T4 don't allow BBKs but I'm reasonably sure they allow SS lines, better pads and better fluid and you'll get plenty of benefits from that model and be just fine.

Things that look cool are great. That bling isn't always necessary though.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT-BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-13-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
ZDan

Pics bookending the season:
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-13-2023), downshiftxlr8 (11-15-2023), RT-BRZ (11-12-2023)