follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #71
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would also not run much more then -0.5 rear camber, the car is very predictable at -.2 like i have now.

Curious guys, how your clutch holds up?? i have about 10-12 drift day on those and seems to still be pretty good, even tough i know it doesn't bite like when it was new! I am wondering how long will it last!
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #72
canu_50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSmiley View Post
Yeah, im actually gonna get the arms and toe links. You said something about the stance LCA, what's so good about them compared to the other LCA's in the market?
You're toe must be out of whack right now with your camber alignement...(for the rear)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #73
Scooter Style

Drives: 2015 BRZ/ Blue Series/ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anyone running sway bars at all? I am considering beefing mine up to reduce some of my snap back on low speed corners.
2013 SWP BRZ #137 First BRZ in Columbus, OH! SOLD
2015 WRB Blue Series #900/1000
Team Rowdy
Ohio Native
Instgram brooks_church
Scooter Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #74
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canu_50 View Post
I would also not run much more then -0.5 rear camber, the car is very predictable at -.2 like i have now.

Curious guys, how your clutch holds up?? i have about 10-12 drift day on those and seems to still be pretty good, even tough i know it doesn't bite like when it was new! I am wondering how long will it last!
Not sure but I'm willing to bet a couple years easy so long as you're not launching every start and kicking the clutch 20 times per run. When it's time to replace, I would just grab a lightened flywheel and stage 1 clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Style View Post
Anyone running sway bars at all? I am considering beefing mine up to reduce some of my snap back on low speed corners.

Snap back??

I think everybody on this forum who goes to drift events frequently are running stock sways. I am too.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #75
Scooter Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Not sure but I'm willing to bet a couple years easy so long as you're not launching every start and kicking the clutch 20 times per run. When it's time to replace, I would just grab a lightened flywheel and stage 1 clutch.

Snap back??

I think everybody on this forum who goes to drift events frequently are running stock sways. I am too.
cool. I assumed so, but figured I would ask.

used to my built S13 and lots of suspension, tires, and power. Been a while since I have drifted with such a stock(ish) car.

Running a shake down tomorrow before local drift event with the new Fortune Auto's. using stock tires, and will probably get some 215's kenda's to use (local to me)
Team Rowdy
Ohio Native
Instgram brooks_church
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #76
canu_50

I am running stock sways also, i might try a bigger front when i have a bit more power, but for now i don't see why i would need one!

As for the clutch i am pretty gentle, i don't think it's going to be worst then my R32 Skyline.

As for the snap back, i assuming you are talking about the transition, you need to be more carefull then with a S13. S13 you can throw them and they will sit nicely but this car you need to anticipate a little bit more, but if you stay gentle with the steering you shouldn't have a problem!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #77
TylerLieberman

It's because of the Torsen diff. It makes transitioning a bit difficult to stay consistent. You can handbrake while transitioning and it works well but regardless of how quick you do it, is slows your momentum down and with the lower power, you want to keep it up.

A legit 2 way diff would make it much better.
@philstar can probably commenton this because he switched to a tomei 2 way diff and said the car improved drastically after doing so.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #78
Scooter Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
It's because of the Torsen diff. It makes transitioning a bit difficult to stay consistent. You can handbrake while transitioning and it works well but regardless of how quick you do it, is slows your momentum down and with the lower power, you want to keep it up.

A legit 2 way diff would make it much better.
@philstar can probably commenton this because he switched to a tomei 2 way diff and said the car improved drastically after doing so.
Ahh. 2 way does make a lot more sence.
Team Rowdy
Ohio Native
Instgram brooks_church
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #79
canu_50

i would agree on that!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #80
TylerLieberman

[QUOTE=canu_50;1153374]I would also not run much more then -0.5 rear camber, the car is very predictable at -.2 like i have now.
QUOTE]

What did you use to get that alignment? I thought they ran about -1 stock and even with LCAs and toe links, it was hard to get much less then -1 camber for the rear.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #81
canu_50

[quote=TylerLieberman;1159192]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canu_50 View Post
QUOTE]

What did you use to get that alignment? I thought they ran about -1 stock and even with LCAs and toe links, it was hard to get much less then -1 camber for the rear.
well that's the thing.. i don't run anything for the rear.. But when i had put it on the alignement bed i was around -.2 on each side.

But most people i see on stock alignement gets around -.5 to -.3 so i didn't really ask my self any question.

But i had done my alignement on my re-11 which are wider and shorter diameter then oem set up.. doubt it change anything but mehhhh...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #82
JordanWho

Drives: Ford Focus RS & Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Great thread! I've been setting my car up for drift as well so very happy to find this thread. Keen follow this to learn some tips from you all and maybe share a few of my own experiences along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
How to the clutch, gearbox and rear end (diff & axles) hold up on this car?
My car is pretty damn low and I've been running 18/9.5 with 225/40's on the rear and yes I among many have broken an axle. Seems to be a common thing if the car is being drifted and running lowered suspension. It's due to the altered suspension geometry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Style View Post
I'm running Cusco front/rear strut braces and rear sway bar. For me personally, I felt the rear sway bar made a big difference. The back end of the car just stepped out much easier. Well worth the upgrade.

Feel free to checkout my build thread in my signature and he's a few pics from a recent morning drift session we did on Wednesday. Just click to enlarge.

Cheers.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #83
executivekoala

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
[QUOTE=executivekoala;1163464]So I've starting getting more serious with learning and I have seen in a few other threads, how are everyone's axle's holding up? I know its been asked before but I wanted to know if i just just buy some extra axles for when they do snap.
executivekoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #84
JordanWho

Drives: Ford Focus RS & Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
[quote=executivekoala;1163471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by executivekoala View Post
So I've starting getting more serious with learning and I have seen in a few other threads, how are everyone's axle's holding up? I know its been asked before but I wanted to know if i just just buy some extra axles for when they do snap.
I snapped mine and I know of at least three other guys that have snapped theirs. Seems to be a common problem if you've lowered your car a lot and are drifting. Running wider/heavier tyres on the back probably doesn't help either.

I guess it kind of depends on how you drive and how you setup the car. I shattered a bearing casing and replaced the entire rear axle set with a 600hp rate axle from the driveshaft shop. If you want to be safe maybe keep one close by. When I did mine Toyota quoted me $1700 + fitting AUD for only the left hand side section of the axle PLUS a four week wait for the part to come out of Japan. They denied my warranty claim but that's a whole other story. The DSS were able to get me one shipped to Australia in a week and it only cost me about $1000 landed. It's obvious why I didn't go with Toyota.

Best advice I can give you. If car is low and you drift in the dry, order one.