follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
ayetothejay

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
right front turn signal freezes. help!

so my frs right turn signal freezes every time I try to use it. my current setup are hid and foglight kits both from diode dynamics and my turn signals are switchback leds from hid powerhouse. at first I thought it was a busted led so I replaced it but it's still freezes up. I would like to fix this ASAP as I don't want to be a road hazard when I am trying to merge. the wiring is intact. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you guys!
ayetothejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
bunk relay?
happens to regular flasher relays all the time after 7~12 years of use.. I'd expect the same holds true for LED ones. are you using an LED relay, was it warrantied?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
ayetothejay

no. it's plug and play as advertised. I have a flasher module that came from my toms tail lights.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
How long does it freeze for ?
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
ayetothejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
How long does it freeze for ?
sometimes a few seconds then it'll flash then, it'll freeze again... other times, it just show the amber color and not blink at all.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Try the original relay, probably get hyper blink, but it would rule out the relay you're using
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
ayetothejay (05-02-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i suspect it's the relay..
ayetothejay (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
ayetothejay

alright, so I decided to put back the stock bulbs in and my oh my it starts to work again and the freezes gradually went away and so far almost 24 hrs in, I haven't gotten a freeze. could it be the relay that came with the toms tail lights?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayetothejay View Post
alright, so I decided to put back the stock bulbs in and my oh my it starts to work again and the freezes gradually went away and so far almost 24 hrs in, I haven't gotten a freeze. could it be the relay that came with the toms tail lights?

Did you put the stock relay back as well?
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
When you say gradually went away, the stock bulbs also had the freezing effect for a bit?

Does the freezing happen right when you turn on the parking lights and then turn signals? Or does it work fine until the parking lights have been on for a little while, letting the bulb warm up? How does the bulb feel if you let the parking lights sit for 10-15 minutes then pulling out the bulb?

I had this happen with some switchbacks before too... it turns out the bulb was overheating. When it was in parking light mode, the constant on/white light overheated the bulb so that the when it tried to go to turn signal mode, it would freeze. It was HOT when I tried to pull it out, had to let it cool down a bit.

I got another set of switchbacks, and it was fine. Didn't touch the relay.
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
ayetothejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Did you put the stock relay back as well?
no. I still have the relay from the toms tail lights. I'm thinking about buying a relay from hid powerhouse and maybe that will cure the freeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
When you say gradually went away, the stock bulbs also had the freezing effect for a bit?

Does the freezing happen right when you turn on the parking lights and then turn signals? Or does it work fine until the parking lights have been on for a little while, letting the bulb warm up? How does the bulb feel if you let the parking lights sit for 10-15 minutes then pulling out the bulb?

I had this happen with some switchbacks before too... it turns out the bulb was overheating. When it was in parking light mode, the constant on/white light overheated the bulb so that the when it tried to go to turn signal mode, it would freeze. It was HOT when I tried to pull it out, had to let it cool down a bit.

I got another set of switchbacks, and it was fine. Didn't touch the relay.
it had the same freeze effects after I installed the stock bulbs again and did a little test on it. after a few runs, it blinks normally again without having any freezes. weird part is, my switchbacks was working real well with the toms relay until just recently which is why I ruled out the relay right away and thought it was a busted led. when I replaced the LEDs with a new pair, it still freezes. yet now with the stock bulbs, it's working fine again. I tried it on all 3 functions (headlights off/parking lights on/headlights on) and no freezes. even with hazards on, it doesn't freeze up. so I'm guessing the majority that responded was right about the relay. will order one again and see if that would change anything. the relay is just a pain to install but I'll do it since switchbacks just looks way better than the stock ones + I hate that my headlights are 6000k, my signal lights are amber, and my fogs are hyper yellow. too much color contrast. lol. btw, the relay that you're using, is it the stock one or did you purchase one with your switchbacks?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
no. I still have the relay from the toms tail lights. I'm thinking about buying a relay from hid powerhouse and maybe that will cure the freeze?

it had the same freeze effects after I installed the stock bulbs again and did a little test on it. after a few runs, it blinks normally again without having any freezes. weird part is, my switchbacks was working real well with the toms relay until just recently which is why I ruled out the relay right away and thought it was a busted led. when I replaced the LEDs with a new pair, it still freezes. yet now with the stock bulbs, it's working fine again. I tried it on all 3 functions (headlights off/parking lights on/headlights on) and no freezes. even with hazards on, it doesn't freeze up. so I'm guessing the majority that responded was right about the relay. will order one again and see if that would change anything. the relay is just a pain to install but I'll do it since switchbacks just looks way better than the stock ones + I hate that my headlights are 6000k, my signal lights are amber, and my fogs are hyper yellow. too much color contrast. lol. btw, the relay that you're using, is it the stock one or did you purchase one with your switchbacks?
I got mine from True Street Industries... they used to be a vendor on here back in 2012 but they left the forum I think. If I had to buy a relay today though, I would choose from either the TapTurn or Diode Dynamics.

If you want the best possible relay, I would recommend the TapTurn from @scottmcphee
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33477
It's pricier but you get bunch more functionality, plus the regular turn signals won't have that slight delay when you start to signal.

A cheaper alternative, but from a real reputable source is @Diode Dynamics
You'll need the CF18 (LM449) from them. I personally never tried that relay from Diode Dynamics since I already have one but I've bought a lot of stuff from them, their stuff is high quality and they provide good customer service.
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c...er-module.html
or if you want to package it with new switchbacks bulbs too:
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/i...s/category/24/
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdo221 For This Useful Post:
ayetothejay (05-02-2014), DJ_Joee (05-02-2014), scottmcphee (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
DJ_Joee

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport/Tech Pearl White
Its definitly the relay ive had this problem before but thankfully the customer service and warranty that came with my "tapturn" flasher was awesome so they simply replaced it for me, tap turn is a microchip controlled flasher that eliminates hyperflash when you move over to led and also allows you to do tap lane changes (just like the german cars do) and many other features that are built into it, its the best way to go cuz ive been theough all of them and this is thee best build quality one i found (im not affiliated in any way with the company just a happy customer), it also sits exactly in the same bracket as the factory one under the steering wheel and all programmimng and option changing is done via the signal stalk its a bit pricey though but i think its worth every penny
DJ_Joee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Joee For This Useful Post:
ayetothejay (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
ayetothejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
I got mine from True Street Industries... they used to be a vendor on here back in 2012 but they left the forum I think. If I had to buy a relay today though, I would choose from either the TapTurn or Diode Dynamics.

If you want the best possible relay, I would recommend the TapTurn from @scottmcphee
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33477
It's pricier but you get bunch more functionality, plus the regular turn signals won't have that slight delay when you start to signal.

A cheaper alternative, but from a real reputable source is @Diode Dynamics
You'll need the CF18 (LM449) from them. I personally never tried that relay from Diode Dynamics since I already have one but I've bought a lot of stuff from them, their stuff is high quality and they provide good customer service.
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c...er-module.html
or if you want to package it with new switchbacks bulbs too:
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/i...s/category/24/
the tapturn looks like an awesome product and i will be looking back at it one day but for now, i chose to go with @Diode Dynamics relay not because its cheaper but i have been a repeat customer of them and majority of my lighting upgrades came from them. so needless to say, i am always biased towards diode dynamics. lol. i will do an update once i receive and install the relay from diode.
The Following User Says Thank You to ayetothejay For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (05-05-2014)