follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
BishamontenZC6

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RON change with Wayne OFT tunes (EUDM)

Hi all,

I have a question for the tune artists on the forum (Wayne and Steve99 for example). I've been reading every single post that might touch the subject on the forum but could not find an exact enough answer.

I flashed my 2014 6AT BRZ with Wayne's OFT Stage 1 v.168 a few days ago. I'm currently adding up miles until it's time to run the regular data log to see if WOT AFR is correct with this tune. So far, all good, the tune really brings a welcome improvement over the stock setup, especially on the 6AT.

I was wondering, I live in Switzerland I always use 98 RON gas. Based on that and following Wayne's instruction, I flashed the 91.100 type tune, which is said to match the 98 RON euro standard. The thing is that I'm planning a long road trip in Italy this summer, and unfortunately 98 RON isn't easy to fin there. Almost every gas station only has 95 RON or diesel. As I don't really want to stress while looking for gas stations that sell some, my question is :

Can I just go and drive on 95 RON on the actual tune without risking damaging anything (because of knock mostly) ? I don't really care if I lose 0.5% of performance at redline compared to ideal RON fuel as it will mostly be highway drive and easy going countryside roads, my only concern is not to cause any damage.

Thanks for your insight !
BishamontenZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
actually 100 ron stations here in italy are pretty much everywherr
but yes, 95 Ron is a bit shitty in here.. best you could do is to log and fine tune a bit for your 98ron, then let AM do it s thing if you get bad quality 95 ron in italy
Or, leave some timings off the table and do a more conservative tuning

So if you aren t interested in having a fine tuned car ( that means reach max potential for a given fuel without knocking) thrn you can just leave your current 98ron tune and don t care
if you want help with fine tuning you can Mp me or any other tuner who s willing to work in romraider for you
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #3
BishamontenZC6

Thank you for your help Tomm! It's weird, I came back from a short road trip in northern Piemonte a few weeks ago and there weren't any station with 98, the vast majority I saw were only 95. I was still with the stock tune back then so I didn't bother at all. I made the same constatation during a road trip in lake Como/Monza 4 years ago with my ex 6MT GT86. What you say, as an italian, gives me hope though.

In fact I'm mostly wondering if Wayne's OFT tunes retains the stock tune's ability to "adapt" to a lower RON fuel without causing knock. Stock tunes are calibrated for 98 but can accomodate 95 without significant problem and stay "flexible", so to say. If Wayne's 91.100 rom allows me to drive with 95 (in case I really can't find 98) for a few days without risk for the engine, that's more than ok for me.

The thing I also would like to avoid is having the car learn the new parameters with the 98 tune and run nicely, and then having to flash the 95 tune only for 2 weeks, and then back to 98 again, if you see what I mean. With new learning periods in-between everytime.

For the fine tuning (especially on stage 1), considering I have near zero knowledge in mapping, I'm not sure it will be worth the time considering the platform and that I don't really have any plan in making further modifications to it (car is totally stock and 118'000km). I had a 6MT LS3 C6 Corvette before it, so any legal mod I could think of still would not bring the BRZ anywhere near what I had with the C6 in terms of raw power and reliability. As long as Wayne's rom with the right rich/lean preset is cleaner than the stock one (which is a mess on 6ATs), I'm perfectly happy and enjoy the BRZ as the little brilliant platform it is.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
tomm.brz

if you didnt bother at all with the stock tune, that CONSTANTLY knocks with our 95 ron, why do you bother now with Wayne tune? it has exact same knock management as stock tune, it will be fine as with stock tune.

98 ron is very rare here, 100 Ron you can find almost in any ENI refuel

Fine tuning would remove the necesssity of driving 300km to set open loop fuel trims, by fine tune the maf scaling and disable the open loop fuel trim, meaning you drive and it s ready always all the time, always with the same fueling

At this point with these premises of yours, i d just drive with the 98ron wayne tune and not care even if you put 95 ron, it will be fine
Old 04-29-2022, 02:49 AM   #5
BishamontenZC6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
if you didnt bother at all with the stock tune, that CONSTANTLY knocks with our 95 ron, why do you bother now with Wayne tune? it has exact same knock management as stock tune, it will be fine as with stock tune.
That was exactly my question. I knew the stock tune was a mess, that's why I was expecting Wayne's tune to be better calibrated, and thus less "permissive" with crappier fuels. If that's the same as stock, then that's good enough for me, no more worries.

Quote:
98 ron is very rare here, 100 Ron you can find almost in any ENI refuel
100 will do very well too. Many thanks for the info. I will check in Eni stations for sure !

Quote:
Fine tuning would remove the necesssity of driving 300km to set open loop fuel trims, by fine tune the maf scaling and disable the open loop fuel trim, meaning you drive and it s ready always all the time, always with the same fueling
Oh yes you're right. I had not thought about it this way. That makes it a good reason to consider. I'll see how it goes after the initial learning period.

Quote:
At this point with these premises of yours, i d just drive with the 98ron wayne tune and not care even if you put 95 ron, it will be fine
Perfect, thanks !
The Following User Says Thank You to BishamontenZC6 For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (04-29-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 06:50 AM   #6
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Set your IAM 0.7 default.
The stock logic will advance it according to the actual octane rating.
If it is not enough, you can widen Maximum KCA table ranges and slightly retard Base B table to match Max KCA.

Last edited by makinen; 04-30-2022 at 09:20 PM.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #7
BishamontenZC6

Back with some new questions about Wayne's Stage 1. I spent countless hours reading and understanding all the fuel trims explanations on the forum, so I have a better global view now. To make things clear, here's the current situation :

- 2014 BRZ, auto, euro version
- Full stock (exhaust, intake, etc)
- Euro RON 98 fuel

Following my earlier questions, I realized that I was using the E5-E10 version of Wayne's 91-100 stage 1 v.168 (2% lean) tune. In my country, fuel normally doesn't have ethanol, but it's possible that some gas station around me have some, and don't communicate about it. It's very difficult to know if fuel is pure or has ethanol. So here's the deal :

I flashed the E0-E5 version of the 2% lean tune. After the regular 350km learning period, car seems to run better than previous setting, and more consistantly. Decided to log some data to check on the vitals, and it appears that my LTFT stays high (between 10 and 12), especially at idle. This is something I never had with the previous tunes. At the same time, my STFT seem to be in a more "standard" range (read: mostly between +10/-10).

Please note that nothing on the exhaust has been touched for years (full stock). On the intake side, I made the service 2 months ago so only the OEM air filter has been changed.

Here are my questions :

- If my understanding is correct, LTFT is an average of STFT over time. So based on the more standard actual STFT values, should I espect my LTFT to go down in the future ?

- Can this high LTFT be caused by the gasoline ? In a sense that the MAF scaling of this tune is expecting pure fuel (E0), but instead gets some with ethanol (E5~E10). The ECU would try to compensate as ethanol mixed fuel blends call for more fuel for the combustion.

- I know that high LTFT at idle can be the sign of an intake leak. Could the air filter be the culprit or does the leak have to be after the MAF ?

Here's a set of fresh datalogs, hoping it can help find answers :

Part 1 (regular driving, countryside and up mountain) : https://datazap.me/u/ginkei/test-14112022?log=0&data=1
Part 2 (mountain driving, high speed and 7000rpm pull) : https://datazap.me/u/ginkei/test-14112022?log=1&data=1
Part 3 (regular driving, city) : https://datazap.me/u/ginkei/test-14112022?log=2&data=1

Thanks in advance for your help. I know that OTS tunes are not perfect, but that's unfortunately all I can get for the moment, and I'm really happy about it when it runs well.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:30 AM   #8
tomm.brz

doesn t look too bad, just flash a richer Version should be ok