follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2022, 11:10 PM   #1
repillows

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS Shifter issue

So I just recently purchased an FRS with a manual transmission with 145,000 miles and noticed that it is very difficult to move the gear towards the left side to get into first gear or second gear. I would have to try multiple attempts to move it left and the easiest way to get into first gear is by going from 2nd to 1st gear when I’m able to move it left. Moving the gear lever towards the right hand side shows no problem. I can go through every single gear including reverse without an issue apart from first gear and second gear. There is also an issue where whatever gear I’m in, there is a lot of play from side to side. Granted, when I get the car driving there is no issue with the transmission itself. Anybody have these issues before? Thanks!
repillows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 03:21 AM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Many, many people ignore the need to properly adjust the top plate when installing the shift lever. The reverse lockout foot rides along a boss on the plate which is intended to center the shift mechanism in the first and second gear gates.

Look in my sig line for a link to the service manuals. Browse a little through the menu tree and you'll find the alignment procedure.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
repillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Many, many people ignore the need to properly adjust the top plate when installing the shift lever. The reverse lockout foot rides along a boss on the plate which is intended to center the shift mechanism in the first and second gear gates.

Look in my sig line for a link to the service manuals. Browse a little through the menu tree and you'll find the alignment procedure.
I bought the vehicle with about 145,000 miles and it’s the original manual transmission. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t think the shift lever or anything like that has been touched. Can I still try this procedure out?
Old 04-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by repillows View Post
I bought the vehicle with about 145,000 miles and it’s the original manual transmission. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t think the shift lever or anything like that has been touched. Can I still try this procedure out?
On re-reading, I think bushings on your gearshift linkage are worn. The lever should not be able to rotate about the vertical axis at all. The other symptom is also difficulty finding the first and second gear gates because the gearshift needs to be angled further to the left to take up the slack.

Search for the first and second gear gates while lifting the reverse lockout. If they're easy to find that way, you have your answer. Thankfully, it's all external to the transmission and easy to spruce up. Also, the adjustment is easy enough to fudge without feeler gauges. Loosen the plate and adjust it with the gearshift centered in both first and second gear gates. Just takes a gentle touch to get it right.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 04-09-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
repillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
On re-reading, I think bushings on your gearshift linkage are worn. The lever should not be able to rotate about the vertical axis at all. The other symptom is also difficulty finding the first and second gear gates because the gearshift needs to be angled further to the left to take up the slack.

Search for the first and second gear gates while lifting the reverse lockout. If they're easy to find that way, you have your answer. Thankfully, it's all external to the transmission and easy to spruce up. Also, the adjustment is easy enough to fudge without feeler gauges. Loosen the plate and adjust it with the gearshift centered in both first and second gear gates. Just takes a gentle touch to get it right.
I was able to fix it by adjusting the reverse lock out plate. I found out that the clutch was replaced so it had been messed with. All is well for going into gear! Now I have more things to tackle with my front suspension and alignment! Lol
Old 04-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Well done.