follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
redwing634

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Firestorm)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone have the factory upgraded stereo?

When I purchased my 08 tC, the salesman agreed to add on the factory upgraded pioneer stereo. 4-5 years later I'm still very pleased with that stereo. I don't really like the look of the stock stero in the fr-s and am curious if the upgraded one is worth getting; especially for someone who does NOT have an iphone (Galaxy S3).

From the specs I was reading on it, you get the most benefits from using it if you have an iphone (apps, etc). Is it still a good stereo if you never intend to own an iphone?

And if not, are there any good aftermarket stereos that would fit in this guy?
redwing634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
execoll

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
interesting thread about what you're asking

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15067
execoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
ravenMTgirl

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
EDIT: I was slow :-)

I know you said you don't have an iPhone and this review is mainly about the non-navigation of the unit. I haven't heard the sound quality on this upgraded HU, but I know I loved the upgraded unit in our 08 tC. From what I've read, the one in the FR-S isn't as good.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15067

Last edited by ravenMTgirl; 08-22-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Add to post
ravenMTgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
It could certainly be an issue with the levels on my mp3's, but the upgraded stereo seems a bit quiet when playing them from the USB drive.

It looks a lot better than the base radio, and the interior could use any brightening it can get. If you're happy enough to spend the money just for a nicer appearance, then it's worth it. It's not going to bring you any real functional advantage over the base radio without an iphone (and even with an iphone it seems those functions are poorly implemented at best).

I haven't compared the sound of the base system to the bespoke, but the Bespoke unit sounds clear, it just doesn't have much volume. The stock base radio in my 05 xB was at least as good soundwise, and possibly a little better.

In all, I would consider the Bespoke head unit to be a cosmetic upgrade, nothing more.

-Justin
Old 08-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
redwing634

Thanks for the replies guys. I wouldn't mind a "cosmetic" upgrade but now I'm wondering if there are any after market units that can give that cosmetic boost, that may be a little bit better than the bespoke?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
its only cosmetic - they sound exactly the same --
i have the real stock one but eventually ill buy the other one from someone dying to get rid of their Bespoke... just cause of the screen and the pure cosmetic features....

(no iPhone.. but i hear they will work with Android someday...)

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
It appears to be a standard double-din size with no weird trim around it. I would bet that most aftermarket double-din units will fit, but check the depth. I don't think the FR-S is listed in Crutchfield's 'will it fit' guide yet.

If you up your price range to ~$1000, there are plenty of options that include navigation. If you're going to stick to the $850 of the bespoke, you still have a few options. I can't recommend any because... well... I have the bespoke.

-Justin
Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would never get a touch screen in the FR-S. Under many road conditions, the car is jiggling so much that your hand will likely miss the part of the screen you are aiming for.
In my opinion, touch screens only make sense on mobile devices where real estate is at a premium. Tactile buttons and knobs are better in every other respect.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
redwing634

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
I would never get a touch screen in the FR-S. Under many road conditions, the car is jiggling so much that your hand will likely miss the part of the screen you are aiming for.
In my opinion, touch screens only make sense on mobile devices where real estate is at a premium. Tactile buttons and knobs are better in every other respect.
Yeah that's what I liked about the Scion tC upgraded stereo. Nice screen / cosmetic appearance, without a touchscreen.