follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
However, if you were to take two BRZ’s, one with standard brakes and the other with the Brembo brakes given everything else is equal, (the same make/model/size/compound of tire, time of day, road surface etc.) the Brembo car WILL stop in a shorter distance.
Explain this please.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Standard brakes use a sliding or floating style caliper whereby piston(s) are only on one side. When force is applied it pushes the brake pad against one side of the rotor. Continued force will cause the caliper to pull the opposite pad into contact with the other side of the rotor.
This is absolutely incorrect. If this were the case it wouldn't be called a "floating" caliper. It would be called a rusted, sticking caliper.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #17
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

If ABS is triggered, then the brakes are providing more force than the tires can put to the ground. Any additional braking force beyond that is pointless, and does not translate to shorter braking distances. The brake configuration is irrelevant.
Spuds (11-06-2018), wparsons (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:06 PM   #18
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
If ABS is triggered.
God-damned liberal ABS systems are so easily-triggered these days.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (11-06-2018), meWant (11-07-2018), Spuds (11-06-2018), Ultramaroon (11-05-2018), venturaII (11-06-2018), wparsons (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #19
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Alright I think I got it. I have never had a BBK on a car before. And as of yet have never autocrossed. I just thought it very strange that this car doesn't have published stopping distances for the two brake systems. Usually magazines post a lot of info when they test a car. 0-60, 60-0, skid pad, etc. Not too much info out there

Don
Dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
Alright I think I got it. I have never had a BBK on a car before. And as of yet have never autocrossed. I just thought it very strange that this car doesn't have published stopping distances for the two brake systems. Usually magazines post a lot of info when they test a car. 0-60, 60-0, skid pad, etc. Not too much info out there

Don
Has anyone tried to google “BRZ stoping distance”?

I got 116 and 120ft.

FT86Speedfactory has pads that will stop the car faster.

Although the cars had different tires. You can hear the tires loosing traction in the fist stop. The shorter stop the tires had more grip and you do not hear them sliding.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #21
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
IF one can lock till wheels engagement of ABS on tires one run, then different pads or different brake kit will not stop faster.
Grippier tires (with any pads, if they are sufficient) is only way to decrease stopping distance.

Only way stopping distances can be improved with different BBK or different pad choice (eg. staggered), is if/when factory brake bias has became not optimal (in case of eg. heavy aftermarket aero bits with lot of extra downforce on one end of car), but as many do aero changes to both ends, it also is not that common setup case.
Other way BBKs or pads can improve stopping is only for cases where OE setup starts failing due overabuse, eg. if one overheats brakes during track use and they faded. Again, that's not applicable for daily driving/normal braking efficiency/distances.

Tires are main bit (and in this video too). Brakes, if you can brake enough with either setup to lock, won't change. You just press pedal less with higher friction brake setup.
As for THE most grip to get from same tire, on dry tarmac it's usually peaks near almost slipping (why treshold braking sometimes can be more effective then ABS) and then after tire slips, grip falls off quick. Less peaky on loose grip pavement (wet/snow/ice/gravel).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (11-06-2018), FirstWinter (11-06-2018), kch (11-06-2018), Leonardo (11-06-2018), wparsons (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #22
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,440 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Explain this please.
If you understand (and accept) the logic of my first post than I shouldn’t have to explain anything. If you do not than read on.
Switching from stock to high performance pads will decrease the stopping distance of any vehicle, correct? There are lots of articles, videos and threads (some on this forum) that explain this. FT86 Speedfactory shows their HP+ pads giving an average of two car lengths, 60 – 0 over stock pads. That’s because stock pads are a compromise, longevity over stopping distance. High Performance pads do the opposite by wearing faster in order to achieve better stopping performance.(No, not the above video of the red vs. silver cars although, if you read their report it does mention Motor Trends stock distance.)
So think of it this way, Brembo brakes are just bigger versions of high performance pads with better calipers.

Last edited by Stephen W.; 11-06-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,440 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
This is absolutely incorrect. If this were the case it wouldn't be called a "floating" caliper. It would be called a rusted, sticking caliper.
So, are you saying that my statement is completely, totally, utterly, entirely, wholly, thoroughly and unreservedly not in accordance with fact? Is that your position?
Please explain what the error is.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #24
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

As has already been explained several times above, the TIRES are what stop the car, not the brakes. If your stock brakes are able to lock the tires up (and they are fully capable of doing that), then the tires are what determine braking distance; going to bigger brakes does nothing because the tires are already being slowed down faster than the car is capable of decelerating. You can't make the tires lock up 'more' and expect stopping distance to change at all. 2800 pounds on tire brand/size 'X' is only going to be capable of stopping in a certain distance. Going to sticker or larger tires, on the other hand, WILL improve your braking distance, at least to the point where they are able to overpower your brakes. Only then will bigger brakes improve braking distances.

Last edited by venturaII; 11-06-2018 at 02:12 PM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #25
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

I think there is theoretical truth to what he is saying... but we are talking a VERY minor difference in stopping distance as a result of the pads being fully clamped to the rotor a few milliseconds sooner. We're talking SLAMMING on the brakes here. It really is a handful of milliseconds. There are way too many other variables that come into play for that to translate into anything demonstrable in the real world. From tire conditions, to road conditions, to vehicle load, etc...

My understanding is that fixed calipers do offer improved pedal feedback over floating calipers due to the differences he pointed out, which would suggest a more direct connection, and therefore quicker pad application, but I'm not convinced you could truly demonstrate a difference in braking distance between a similarly-sized floating vs. fixed caliper unless you did a literal laboratory experiment. And even then I'd be surprised if it was anything meaningful.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 11-06-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #26
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
If i keep thinking theoretically about this, then imho "locking up sooner" due "slamming" with pads or brake it with higher friction & bigger initial bite will worsen braking distance of such emergency braking. My line of thought goes that the quicker that slamming/locking happens, the less car has time for mass transfer to front tires, that do most of braking in most cases and which brake bias is usually designed to work with - thus yet unloaded front wheels may lock sooner, abs sooner will have to delock them .. and imho brake distance may increase. On twins, that are relatively lower and on a bit less soft springs then generic family cars or SUVs mass transfer/front tires loading may happen sooner with less time lag, but it still is not immediate. It's all hair splitting though.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #27
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
If i keep thinking theoretically about this, then imho "locking up sooner" due "slamming" will worsen braking distance. My line of thought goes that the quicker that slamming/locking happens, the less car has time for mass transfer to front tires, that do most of braking in most cases and which brake bias is usually designed to work with - thus yet unloaded front wheels may lock sooner, abs sooner will delock them .. and imho brake distance may increase. It's all hair splitting though.
I think you're probably right. That's why it's all a pointless exercise. These nuances are all outweighed by the big factors that are road, tire, pad compound, as everyone has already pointed out. I just wanted to throw him a bone. I agree that there is probably some theoretical, and measurable benefit to a fixed vs. floating caliper. My intuition just tells me that it's probably insignificant in the real world, and only truly measurable in a laboratory setting where you can better control all of the other variables.

Just a guess, though! I could be COMPLETELY wrong.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #28
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post

Just a guess, though! I could be COMPLETELY wrong.
It's the internet, you are always completely wrong.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
churchx (11-06-2018), Stang70Fastback (11-06-2018)