follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,065 Times in 8,330 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
I want a daughter like her!

Seriously, IF I ever become a parent, I so want a daughter like her

http://jalopnik.com/5901950/meet-the...-sweet-sixteen

Quote:
Meet The 14-Year-Old Girl Building A Car For Her Sweet Sixteen

Plenty of boys begin lusting after cars at an early age, ready either to dive into a project car or a brand new performance car (depending upon levels of means and motivation). But you don't often hear about those Mona Lisa Vito gals so into cars they can do everything from rebuilding V8 engines to distinguishing the minute year-to-year differences in headlamp bezels. This is the story of one such girl from Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. She's the girl who played with Fieros.
Michhiker, a poster on Pennock's Fiero Forum from Mount Pleasant, Mich., began chronicling his daughter Kathryn's hands-on car restoring experience ever since she asked him, at the age of 12, if she could use her babysitting money to buy a Pontiac Fiero and spend the next four years getting it ready for her 16th birthday.
Of Kathryn's initial foray into the labor intensive world of auto restoration, her dad said:
"Our 12 year old DAUGHTER came in and said, 'Dad, Mom, can we talk for a minute?' We agreed, and she presented us with something she had been thinking about. She said that she would like to buy a car with her babysitting money. We were like, you are only 12.
Now I should tell you that she is 12 going on 22, but she presented these arguements to us.
1. She would like to buy a Fiero because she saw one at a show and thinks they are cool (we are Corvette people, so she has been around a few shows). Fair enough I like GM products and remember the Fiero fondly from my youth.
2. She makes the arguement that it gets reasonably good gas milage
3. It is relatively inexpensive, so she would be able to afford it.
4. She could completely restore it in the 4 years until she turns 16
5. She would learn about how cars work, it would be a cheap education for the money
6. She would only have the capacity to take one friend along with her, so there would be less distraction
7. She wants a manual so she would learn how to drive stick
8. When it is done it would be a cool historic sports car
9. She would pay for it all herself."
Kathryn made a compelling argument, bought an old beather Fiero and dove right in. Along with her parents and uncle (but Kathryn seems to have done most of the work), she's been at it two years now. As the photos posted on the forum show, she's had no problems getting her hands dirty. Her once ragged out Fiero is already taking shape as a cool black and yellow-themed custom, minus the copius amounts of rust it hid beneath fiberglass body panels when she bought it.
Jalopnik took a gander at her progress over the past couple of years, and at 14, Kathryn's gone from simple sanding and spray painting to sand blasting, welding, upholstry work and everything else she needs to do to make her car the coolest one in the high school lot in a couple of years. But she admitted to being a bit nervous when she first started welding:
Okay wielding looks terrifiying ... I was doing just fine until I'd hit the points where big sparks would come out of no where and make me jump so I felt pretty good when even with a hammer the metal pieces wouldn't come apart."
Kathryn began adding her own posts to the thread after her father had been chronicling her project for a year, and seems to have picked up a pretty good following over the last year.
"She could come work at my shop anytime I am sure she would out do the guys. Great to see younger people intrested in working on cars rather than just trashing them,"
said poster whodeanie, from Woodstock Georgia, with Kathryn's dad replying:
"She has seen some of your work. The fact that you even thought some of her stuff was ok will make her day as much as it has made mine. Thanks for stopping by to say hey and wish her luck. It means a lot, and you guys are the bestest!"
Many of the forum's posters have offered amazement at Kathryn's motivation, bemoaning their own video game-playing children's laziness and lack of interest in cars (as if!). Last summer, one guy observed of his own son:
"I've been lurking on the thread for a while. Wish my 14-year-old son had your go-git-'em attitude.
An Ohio resident said:
"Wow. My 15 year old daughter has absolutely no interest in cars other than wanting to be given a cool/cute one when she turns 16."
If his daughter actually reads the forum (which it doesn't sound as if she does), I can just picture the disgusted eye rolling that would result from her reading her dad's comments.
Kathryn's presence on the forum has become the stuff of legend, so to speak. You know how forum posters are. They can get pretty snarky. While no one is overtly rude to Kathryn, they can get a little testy when her updates don't show up for a while. Hey where are you? vs. Sorry for the lapse! I had soccer and school! exchanges go down, with posters throwing Kathryn gobs of atta girl for staying in the game. It's important to note, however, that she decided to sit out sping soccer this year to be able to spend more time on her project Fiero.
But Kathryn's persistence has paid off. As she's transformed from a little girl into a yound lady, Kathryn has also become aquainted with her ride in a way that most high school students never are. Now, people on the Fiero forum are even asking her for advice, covering everything from cleaning up tail lamps to buying a Fiero.
"Okay this is new, people coming to ME for car stuff. Interesting, but I'll give it my best shot ... Thank you everyone for being so patient with me so just spread the word that I AM BACK!!! But literally I'm glad to be working on my car again, I've missed my baby (when I refer to my baby it's my Fiero! Just to let you know).
But her dad's words sum up Kathryn's milieu best: "Is it just me, or do I have a really cool daughter?"
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Way to go Kathryn! I wish my eleven year old son can be as motivated. I've done my best to brain wash him taking him to hundreds of car shows, races, track days, karting. Nothing. All he wants is play video games. Not even racing games :-(
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Droopy
FWES racer, R FT drifter

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Soon to be FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
agreed when/if I ever have a kid I want a kid like that
Droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I just want my kid (someday) to do whatever makes them happy in life just as long as it's a good thing. But its nice to see this young girl who has the ambition in the interest of motor vehicles, unlike most young kids these days. I know most of my little cousins just like playing video games, be on facebook, or watching tv all day, smh.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Awesome! Although, I'd rather have my son doing something like this then my daughter but if that is what she wants to do then I won't oppose it. This girl is doing something amazing that even boys her age can't compete with. Man Up Boys!
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,958 Times in 11,383 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Here's another "wish I had a daughter like her". Sabrina built her own modified kit airplane starting when she was 12, and soloed it at 16, and got her motorcycle license around the same time. She is now at MIT studying aerospace engineering.

She and I belong to the same builder's group for the kitplane she built so I've got to watch her "grow up". She has heavily modified her plane, and is very well respected amongst the very large group I belong to on this subject.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Unbelievable. If only more people were as passionate about things like her, cars or otherwise!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
If only more people were as passionate about things like her, cars or otherwise!
Agreed!
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
That is an amazing story, lurked the whole thread and im following it now. Really gives me more of an inspiration to start my ae86 project once i buy a house!
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote