follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
hx3

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[FR-S] Installing New Subwoofer and Mono Amp

Hey, I'm a newbie on this forum and just bought a silver FR-S two weeks ago...absolutely loving it! Except for the low's from the stock speakers, and I'm a music junkie.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of searching around, primarily on this forum, in regards to adding a single sub and a mono amp. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, but I've come across some useful information. I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I'm really not sure of the steps I should take. I have the stock Pioneer double DIN head unit in my FR-S, which I know has a set of RCA pre-amps in the back.

I'm coming from a Mazda 3 hatch, in which I installed the following with no issues:

Subs: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061DC1...22.html?tp=112

Amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...11DX500.1.html

Wiring: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...K4-09ZCK4.html

HU: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KW-R900BT.html (my Scion dealership kept this in my trade-in, as I misplaced the OEM receiver)

Now I know those subs aren't going to fit in the FR-S' trunk and I've read that I should look for a sub that's under 14" in height. I'll figure that part out easily enough (recommendations are appreciated!). My main concern is the amp and its wiring. I plan on using the same amp as above (which does not need a remote wire connected to the receiver, as it can turn on when it detects an audio signal and turn off automatically) but I'm not exactly sure how I should go about installing everything. I'm aware that there is a two channel amp powering four of the eight speakers, but I also need my Kicker amp to power the sub.

Here is what my ideal solution would be, or at least what I'm familiar with when installing an amp and sub:

• Four gauge power cable from the amp to battery.
  • Four gauge ground cable from amp to metal under trunk cover.
  • RCA cable from amp to back of the stock Pioneer receiver.
  • Run the power cable on the passenger side of the car and RCA on driver side.
Is that all I should have to do in order to get a new sub working properly or do I need to connect anything to the pre-existing wiring from the rear speakers and/or receiver? The stock speaker and receiver setups are a little different than what I'm used to, so I'm just wanting to make sure I take the right steps before installation takes place. My setup's are pretty basic...no extra hardware and whatnot. Just the sub, amp, wiring and stock HU for the time being.

I plan on purchasing a new receiver in the near future once proper brackets and such are released. I'm rather pleased with the speakers, except the lows can sound absolutely horrible at times. Definitely wanting to move the bass setting to "0" or below and rely on a new sub for the lows.

And, just in case, does anyone have any sub recommendations? I'm looking in to any combination that could fit in the trunk with some room left horizontally and would work with that Kicker 500w amp at 2 ohms (or 275w at 4 ohms).

Any help is greatly appreciated! I apologize for the long post. I just wanted to be clear with my setup and all. I look forward to visiting this site/forum everyday!
hx3 is offline   Reply With Quote