follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2023, 01:54 PM   #1597
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
If we've learned nothing from sci-fi, the future is never set. It can change today, tomorrow, or yesterday. All you got to do is run fast enough...

It wouldn't take much to knock us off the EV trend path. A breakthrough in hydrogen, a geopolitical situation that makes raw materials difficult, expensive or impossible to get.

Are we heading the non-petrol route? Sure, and we should be. Is there a clear path forward, no, not really. There is a current path, but it could branch at any time.
The bath to hydrogen would require energy to make (even more than for EVs), which would require sustainable infrastructure anyways, and it would require an even greater investment in converting and building out a hydrogen delivery system.

Battery swapping and sodium sulfur batteries could remove every geopolitical situation. The US can move to EVs with entire independence from global resources if it wants.
Old 06-23-2023, 02:42 PM   #1598
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Nothing new here (as the article even alludes to) but like it or not it's an "offensive stereotype" that shouldn't be tolerated, and I don't.

So stop it, and get off my lawn.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (06-23-2023), NoHaveMSG (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 02:46 PM   #1599
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The bath to hydrogen would require energy to make (even more than for EVs), which would require sustainable infrastructure anyways, and it would require an even greater investment in converting and building out a hydrogen delivery system.

Battery swapping and sodium sulfur batteries could remove every geopolitical situation. The US can move to EVs with entire independence from global resources if it wants.
Those were just examples that could cause the path to branch. What if, for example, someone could figure out how to pull Hydrogen directly from the atmosphere through some magical process that doesn't exist yet? It's not like "magical" processes don't get developed all the time. Heck, we're using one to have this conversation. No one 100 years ago would have thought we'd be doing this Internet thing.

As far as battery swapping, I know you're an enthusiast but I still think that won't be happening, at least not in the US.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #1600
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,328 Times in 7,385 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

As far as battery swapping, I know you're an enthusiast but I still think that won't be happening, at least not in the US.
Especially not until there is any kind of standardization throughout the industry on battery packs. They have standardized other things before though so not out of the realm of possibility.
Dadhawk (06-23-2023), Irace86.2.0 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #1601
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nothing new here (as the article even alludes to) but like it or not it's an "offensive stereotype" that shouldn't be tolerated, and I don't.

It's OK to wear a tiger suit all day and shit into a "dignity tube" though.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 04:34 PM   #1602
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,135 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Is California doing anything to their electrical grid over the next decade?

They can't even sustain their current electrical load
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (06-23-2023), soundman98 (06-24-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 04:44 PM   #1603
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

Don’t try to censor me. No one likes cancel culture. I can say what I want
Dadhawk (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 05:11 PM   #1604
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Especially not until there is any kind of standardization throughout the industry on battery packs. They have standardized other things before though so not out of the realm of possibility.
Not to mention the size and scale of a CAR battery swap.
This isnt a garden mower and electric trimmer sharing a 20v battery the size of a tissue box or AA/AAA/C/D batteries that fit in the palm of your hand.

This is a battery pack for a car.......a battery pack that probably weighs a thousand pounds and is the size of a king sized mattress...

No one is gonna have the capability to store and move around this thing in their house without some kind of lift/trolley, and any kind of swapping stations would need to be the size of a warehouse and fully automated....with electricity running through it 24/7 to store keep charging depleted batteries.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (06-23-2023), NoHaveMSG (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 06:04 PM   #1605
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
This isnt a garden mower and electric trimmer sharing a 20v battery the size of a tissue box or AA/AAA/C/D batteries that fit in the palm of your hand.

This is a battery pack for a car.......a battery pack that probably weighs a thousand pounds and is the size of a king sized mattress...

No one is gonna have the capability to store and move around this thing in their house without some kind of lift/trolley, and any kind of swapping stations would need to be the size of a warehouse and fully automated....with electricity running through it 24/7 to store keep charging depleted batteries.
Sounds awesome
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #1606
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
A cope trailer
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:13 PM   #1607
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Those were just examples that could cause the path to branch. What if, for example, someone could figure out how to pull Hydrogen directly from the atmosphere through some magical process that doesn't exist yet? It's not like "magical" processes don't get developed all the time. Heck, we're using one to have this conversation. No one 100 years ago would have thought we'd be doing this Internet thing.

If bacteria could digest food and release hydrogen then maybe, but they would still need a substrate like wood, plastic, etc; would it be renewable? Could it be done at scale? It could happen. Maybe we could genetically engineer or use an evolutionary process to evolve a bacteria to produce hydrogen. Outside of that, I see no other way to produce hydrogen without using something that could produce electricity or doesn’t require electricity. Can you?

NIO looks to enter the US market in 2025. Swapping will be popular in the future unless batteries see a huge bump in power density and charge rate. Until then, I’m a bull on swapping, especially if your scenario of a materials bottleneck and supply dependence pushes the market towards batteries that favor swapping. Hopefully we are both wrong.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:33 PM   #1608
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Is California doing anything to their electrical grid over the next decade?

They can't even sustain their current electrical load
Yes. Millions of new homes with solar and dozens of large scale projects in the billions.

https://www.renewableenergyworld.com...ables-by-2023/

We have rolling blackouts during windy conditions to avoid fires certain times of the year. Occasionally a heat wave with high use that occurs during times of low supply can require rolling blackouts. This year we had less heat and more hydro, so we didn’t need much. There are times the state ran completely on renewables too during low usage and high supply moments.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #1609
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

NIO has done millions of battery swaps. Their third gen stations can perform a swap in four minutes and do 408 swaps per day. Not as huge as a warehouse.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/El...-swap-stations

Old 06-23-2023, 08:01 PM   #1610
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,328 Times in 7,385 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I could see in the future doing many smaller manageable cells that could be interchangeable if they could settle on a standard. They would still likely need a lift to get out still. An overseas company in my industry tried doing a hot swap battery setup with a smaller lithium pack instead of opportunity charging but it is like 40lbs and tougher to manage by hand then it looks on paper. I don't see hot swapping on EV's as something you would be doing at home, it would have to be like a gas station.

Another issue is different chemistries need different charge parameters. So if you have NCM's, you'd need all NCM's. Or you would also need an identifier in the BMS for the chemistry so if you were to charge these at home you are getting the correct charge profile for the chemistry of that particular pack. Current packs are modular cells already that are series/paralleled together to get desired voltage and capacity.
soundman98 (06-24-2023), Wally86 (06-28-2023)