follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
Nicad

Drives: 2022 Cdn Spec White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does the BRZ come with break in oil?

I just bought a very low mile 2022. It has 1080 miles on it. It was put on the road in November, so approaching six months. I asked the dealer to do an oil change on it, as I have no way of knowing what it's previous life was like (Did they drive it two miles to work each day. track it , etc? So I am going to get them to change the oil before I take it home next week. MY concern is that maybe it has a break in oil, rather than the bulk oil they use at the dealership? They told me it does not, but I don't think the person I was dealing with knew one way or the other. Opinions appreciated. Tia.
Nicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #2
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
At 1,000 miles you're plenty safe to swap out break-in oil. No worries.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:54 AM   #3
kaesu

Drives: 22 BRZ
Not sure manufacturers even use break in oil anymore. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to change the oil more frequently, especially after break in. There might be metal bits, shavings, oils that are present that need to be flushed out. I'm sure a big proportion of us on this forum do change the oil soon after break in.
kaesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
Q8D

Drives: N/A
I doubt there's any specific break-in oil from factory. I've rebuilt several engines and haven't come across any service manual for a modern regular engine that required it after a rebuild so I don't see why they'd use it on a factory build. My personal opinion is just go ahead and do the oil change.
Q8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8D View Post
I doubt there's any specific break-in oil from factory. I've rebuilt several engines and haven't come across any service manual for a modern regular engine that required it after a rebuild so I don't see why they'd use it on a factory build. My personal opinion is just go ahead and do the oil change.
IAG who built my engine has break in oil changed at 50 and 500 and Motul 0-20 at 1,500. This needs to be documented in order for the warranty to be valid.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:28 PM   #6
KillerBMotorsport

The time for break-in largely depends on the hone and the hone finish. Even the types of stones used for the hone play a part in how fine the finish can be.

With some of our built engines, the hone spec is to a level that allows for a very fast break-in. Start it up, vary revs for 20 minutes (until the cooling system cycles a couple of times and oil is up to temp), change the oil/filter, and you're good to go... right onto the dyno or track. The solids that come from the second oil change on those builds is going to be similar to most second oil changes in that some break-in particulate is present, but minimal compared to the break-in oil change. It usually takes at least three oil changes to reduce break-in particulate to 'normal' wear levels. We once had an AMG that was on the high side for 5 until it leveled out to normal. That was alittle more nerve wracking, but I think the vario-cam setup had more to do with it on that engine. It really just depends on the level and how the engine was built, and they will all be different.

With a Subaru it's pretty standard practice to change ~1,000 miles. If I were to speculate I'd bet they use a conventional oil and the typical assembly lube. Nothing special.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:25 PM   #7
Q8D

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
IAG who built my engine has break in oil changed at 50 and 500 and Motul 0-20 at 1,500. This needs to be documented in order for the warranty to be valid.
Sure, but I'm not referring to aftermarket shops and their practices.
Q8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:33 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
No special oils used. Just change it as per the service intervals.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #9
Robotaz

Drives: 2022 GR86 Premium
Based on the changes in various noises changing from factory fill to Valvoline EP 0w-20 at 2,000 miles, it’s my opinion that it has some regular 0w-20 oil with assembly lube playing a small role in properties. It’s quieter and it seems due to flowing better in the heads.
Robotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #10
Jianlun

Drives: GR86 RC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
The time for break-in largely depends on the hone and the hone finish. Even the types of stones used for the hone play a part in how fine the finish can be.

With some of our built engines, the hone spec is to a level that allows for a very fast break-in. Start it up, vary revs for 20 minutes (until the cooling system cycles a couple of times and oil is up to temp), change the oil/filter, and you're good to go... right onto the dyno or track. The solids that come from the second oil change on those builds is going to be similar to most second oil changes in that some break-in particulate is present, but minimal compared to the break-in oil change. It usually takes at least three oil changes to reduce break-in particulate to 'normal' wear levels. We once had an AMG that was on the high side for 5 until it leveled out to normal. That was alittle more nerve wracking, but I think the vario-cam setup had more to do with it on that engine. It really just depends on the level and how the engine was built, and they will all be different.

With a Subaru it's pretty standard practice to change ~1,000 miles. If I were to speculate I'd bet they use a conventional oil and the typical assembly lube. Nothing special.
Do you have a recommendation for a 20wt break in oil? I seem to only be able.to find 30 and 40wt break in oils in the market. I am planning to do a 300mi and then 600mi oil change and then good old mobil 1 after that.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #11
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It is doubtful that Subaru would put anything in a new engine other than fully synthetic 0W-20 oil. Don’t forget that there is an oil filter to take care of those bits that can trash the engine. The stuff that passes through the filter is so small and is held in suspension in the oil. Modern synthetic oils are pretty sophisticated chemistry and premature oil changes is false economy. The D4-S fuel injection system should not have the same oil dilution problem that some direct injection only engines have and then there is the intake valve buildup some cars have. The first oil change should be like the subsequent changes: time intervals and if the engine has seen severe use, oil should be changed more frequently. If the car was delivered to me with 1,000 miles on it, I would change it sooner than later. The company that I worked for had a fleet of cars and trucks. The oil was sampled from a cross section and they found that the engine oil was being changed about twice as often as necessary for the expected service life of the vehicle. In other words, the oil was not worn out and the company was throwing away a fortune, not to mention the environmental impact. Another benefit of the oil analysis was finding which vehicles to keep, repair or retire.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:22 PM   #12
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jianlun View Post
Do you have a recommendation for a 20wt break in oil? I seem to only be able.to find 30 and 40wt break in oils in the market. I am planning to do a 300mi and then 600mi oil change and then good old mobil 1 after that.
I'd go with conventional 0w-20 and use some break-in additive.

Are you installing a new engine or is this a factory new engine?
Old 04-03-2022, 07:02 PM   #13
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaesu View Post
Not sure manufacturers even use break in oil anymore. Nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to change the oil more frequently, especially after break in. There might be metal bits, shavings, oils that are present that need to be flushed out. I'm sure a big proportion of us on this forum do change the oil soon after break in.
That's why EVERYBODY should use a magnetic drain plug and/or put a magnet on the end of your oil filter at all times !! Two simple things to do, to help with long engine life !!
Old 04-03-2022, 07:39 PM   #14
Jianlun

Drives: GR86 RC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I'd go with conventional 0w-20 and use some break-in additive.

Are you installing a new engine or is this a factory new engine?
Factory new engine and car.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote