follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Johnders2586

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
New Owner With Used BRZ Few Questions/Concerns

Hello All,

I recently purchased a used 13 BRZ Limited MT, it is fully stock with 74k miles on it. I have done some reading / research on this forum but as a new owner I have a few things I’d like to ask seasoned owners.

1. It appears to have a bad wheel bearing. Is this common for these cars? I don’t believe this car was abused (never truly know) its 1 owner, always dealer serviced and doesn’t appear to have ever been modified. I just find it odd that the wheel bearings would be going bad this early.

2. The car has the slight leak at the cam plate cover (which seems to be relatively common from my research)- I have purchased the Nameless cam plate cover in hopes to resolve, any other advice for install?

3. The car was leaking oil from the bottom of the timing chain cover, which the dealer “re sealed” before I picked it up. Is this a common problem for these cars? I know searching I found a few posts out there but not many. I'm just wondering how concerned I should be. I considered walking away but they assured me it would be "fixed".. Time will tell

4. Anything else I should be looking for or replacing as a preventative measure?

I appreciate the wisdom

Thanks!
Johnders2586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
1) it's common on most subarus. By 100k, usually a wheel bearing or two will go in my experience. (I've replaced all 4 on my 05 Forester XT with 180k. My GF's 08 Forester with 80k has one done, and another JUST started to make noise....like clockwork.)

2) Very common. If it's leaking, either reseal the stock plate or use an aftermarket o-ring plate. The Nameless, Raceseng, and Velox all seem to be well made, and fix the issue at hand. Mine doesn't leak, so I actually have no first hand experience with it.

3) I've seen a few complaints about it on the forum, one or two were 'dealer resealed, it's fine now'. Don't worry about this, but check it every oil change just to be sure.

4) Enjoy driving your car.

These cars are a riot, and are very fun to modify. But please appreciate what the engineers have done before you modify lots of things, and change everything, because it's so easy to ruin what makes them great! A set of better tires like S-04's, or PSS REALLY liven up the car. Add in crash bolts or camber bolts for a bit of extra front camber with a good alignment, and maybe a catback so you can hear it, and it's a whole new car.

If you find yourself wanting power, go right for a header and a tune. 95% of the power gains are with the header and tune, and kill the torque dip.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All of that sounds normal for a relatively high mileage cheap sports car and what's known to be minor issues for the FA20.
Enjoy.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnders2586 View Post
Hello All,

I recently purchased a used 13 BRZ Limited MT, it is fully stock with 74k miles on it. !
WELCOME to the forum and CONGRATULATIONS on your new purchase ......

Like said, nothing unusual for a 74,000 mile BRZ.

The new cam plate should fix that leak.

The re-seal of the timing chain cover hopefully will hold.

If a front wheel bearing is growling at you, just have them replaced.

An aftermarket muffler will give it some sports car sound.

Come on back (after searching .... ) if you have further questions.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Johnders2586

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Thanks for the replies everyone, sound like these things are pretty normal then. I appreciate the feedback and piece of mind.
Johnders2586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Congrats and Welcome!...
el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote