follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 02-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #729
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey guys, not sure if someone who is an experienced and a seasoned expert at reading ECUTek logs would even look at these logs. Can I beg? I'm just at my bitter end with my troubles. No head way in almost a month. Tonight the problem got so bad the car almost stopped running, it wouldn't put out any power and the ignition timing was -20 in the logs (end of last log). At that point I had to shut it down and just try to get home. Who is the very best person I could pay to examine the logs and give me the best possible cause? I've got about 75 logs at this point through all the various testing and tweaks we've tried, lots of data! I'm feeling very close to just pulling the kit off and selling or trying to get some money back out of the whole experience.
Attached Files
File Type: zip v5_logs_2.zip (871.2 KB, 179 views)
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #730
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Hey guys, not sure if someone who is an experienced and a seasoned expert at reading ECUTek logs would even look at these logs. Can I beg? I'm just at my bitter end with my troubles. No head way in almost a month. Tonight the problem got so bad the car almost stopped running, it wouldn't put out any power and the ignition timing was -20 in the logs (end of last log). At that point I had to shut it down and just try to get home. Who is the very best person I could pay to examine the logs and give me the best possible cause? I've got about 75 logs at this point through all the various testing and tweaks we've tried, lots of data! I'm feeling very close to just pulling the kit off and selling or trying to get some money back out of the whole experience.
All I did was take a look at the largest log, and I see your STFT swinging from -30 to 30, and LTFT as high as +40.

You have an installation error. The lowest LTFT I see at idle is at least +20. Vacuum leak is my guess.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86fun (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #731
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are anywhere near the bay area, but I would be happy to take a look at your installation. Like Mike said, it appears that you most likely have a vacuum leak which shouldn't be too difficult to track down.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
86fun (02-05-2016), CSG Mike (02-06-2016), djdnz (02-05-2016), itsibarra (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #732
86fun

Thanks for taking a look guys! I have smoke tested and looked over the install several times, checking everything, I cannot find a leak anywhere. The problem only happens part of the time too, I'd think a leak would always be present?

I also get disconnected from my ECU constantly, and I've tried different laptops, messing with the cable/connector, but it seems to be something in the ECU causing it. ECUTek has no suggestions except to update the ROM....waiting on Edelbrock for that one.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #733
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
All I did was take a look at the largest log, and I see your STFT swinging from -30 to 30, and LTFT as high as +40.

You have an installation error. The lowest LTFT I see at idle is at least +20. Vacuum leak is my guess.
I would agree with that conclusion. On the CARB tune, there is simply no way that something in the tune could be so far off as to produce such wildly positive fuel trims other than a vacuum leak. I'd check all the connections, as something is most definitely loose and leaking.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Edelbrock LLC (02-08-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #734
86fun

Can someone with the kit do a bit of logging or post some logs of various driving so I can see how our values compare?

I guess I'm going to have to pull the whole kit off and test every single hose and component for leaks, because none can be found right now with it installed. Is it possible somehow the SC unit can leak inside the manifold chamber?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #735
j123ic

Drives: Evo 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ sorry I might have missed it. But I have a ton of experience searching for vacuum leaks on superchargers. Can you explain in detail what procedure you are using when using a smoke tester? Also what model smoke tester are you using? Is the system pressurized when you are performing this test?
j123ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:10 PM   #736
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can someone with the kit do a bit of logging or post some logs of various driving so I can see how our values compare?
Here's a couple logs I've had for a while, the first is a 3rd gear pull and the 2nd is just freeway cruising.

http://datazap.me/u/bigfatflip/15120...l?log=0&data=7
http://datazap.me/u/bigfatflip/15120...g?log=0&data=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by j123ic View Post
^ sorry I might have missed it. But I have a ton of experience searching for vacuum leaks on superchargers. Can you explain in detail what procedure you are using when using a smoke tester? Also what model smoke tester are you using? Is the system pressurized when you are performing this test?
You are too humble
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #737
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by j123ic View Post

I'm not a shop, I just use home made tools. Making smoke is not rocket science. I'm not using a lot of pressure, didn't want to pop anything, but I could hook up some compressed air to it, that's a thought..

The thing is, if it's only leaking sometimes, then I'd have to test it under those conditions, which would be a bit difficult to accomplish.
I guess I'm just going to pull the kit, and if I don't find anything it must be defective. Seems logical.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #738
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm not a shop, I just use home made tools. Making smoke is not rocket science. I'm not using a lot of pressure, didn't want to pop anything, but I could hook up some compressed air to it, that's a thought..

The thing is, if it's only leaking sometimes, then I'd have to test it under those conditions, which would be a bit difficult to accomplish.
I guess I'm just going to pull the kit, and if I don't find anything it must be defective. Seems logical.
before you go to all that trouble you could use some ether or starting fluid or propane to slowly spray near all the couplers hoses bypass valve etc etc and listen for the revs to bump up, with the engine idling obviously.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #739
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
before you go to all that trouble you could use some ether or starting fluid or propane to slowly spray near all the couplers hoses bypass valve etc etc and listen for the revs to bump up, with the engine idling obviously.

Yep, already been done, but I'll do an additional smoke test(s) tonight first.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #740
86fun

I just did some logging and testing and found out that when the disconnect problem is happening (disconnect after a certain load point is reached on the engine for a certain amount of time) in ECUTek, I can plug in my OBDLink LX and it stays connected and real time indefinitely. I did this several times plugging them in back and forth and the ECUTek would always disconnect after applying a certain amount of engine load for a while, like seconds, not minutes. At least this tells me it's not the whole computer screwing up. This is 100% reproducible, I just press the throttle a bit, sometimes it takes more than other times, and I'm disconnected, even in neutral sometimes. Not sure what that says, but another data point.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 PM   #741
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I would suspect a split or cracked hose with your symptoms since it always seems to be an issue at slightly positive pressure - under vacuum it seals itself shut.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #742
86fun

I just spent a couple hours smoke testing, at about 3-5psi, and there was nothing. I also disconnected and checked every electrical connector/pin in the system, all looked good. The only air hose without a clamp is the SC bypass valve hose, but it is pretty tight... hasn't blown off anyway, and the kit doesn't specify a clamp on that one for some reason. The problem I have is mainly happening around 1-2psi, so not a lot of boost.

I just went out and tested and it's still bucking and disconnecting ECUTek with any significant throttle. ECUTek said they could not help with the disconnects, great product support.

At this point, if it's mechanical I'll have to remove the kit to look into it further. I'm going to try a new electrical harness for the MAF/MAP/throttle/etc from Edelbrock, then it's off with the kit and getting sent back if I cannot find any install issues and the car works normally OEM again as it did prior to install. This has not been a good experience unfortunately.