follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #3221
Bru

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Had the pump replaced and it was fully covered under warranty. Exhibited the chirping noises like others posted. Almost feels like the engine revs smoother since the repair.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #3222
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportington View Post
The shop manager is indicating that Scion (Scion rep was there today) has yet another TSB revision in the works - due in 2 weeks or so. Part is being revised yet again, as there have been failures with the TSB version 2 (Oct 17th, 2013) part.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #3223
Jertronic

Drives: FR-S 10 Series 120 of 2500
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
Had the pump replaced and it was fully covered under warranty. Exhibited the chirping noises like others posted. Almost feels like the engine revs smoother since the repair.

The engine revs smoother, that's great to hear. But what does the new HPFP sound like? Crickets or no crickets?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #3224
rick s

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Two fuel pumps replaced (1st ~1000 mi, 2nd ~1500mi)and still the crickets live on. Toyota and dealer both say they will not replace it again. I am thinking of going back to the dealer and requesting a change out as the 2014 models are showing up and they would not sell them knowing that there is the potential of this annoying noise, right?
Sarcasm in full swing now. Any info regarding "new" pumps will greatly be appreciated.
Such a shame, a head turning car and then that god awful chirping noise.
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #3225
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Habits View Post
Pushback about what? Are you under warranty, is it because your car is modded? What reason are they giving you for not wanting to warranty a new car?

Some dealers are just worthless douchebags. Went thru the same thing with my dealer. Grade A asshats. Maybe you just need to a) escalate the issue higher up the food chain to the dealers management, SOA or their regional rep or b) find a different dealer to work with. I finally got a resolution thru the dealer I bought from and am waiting for the new pump to come in this week. And I have found a new dealer for all future issues.
First time I went there was just for 7,500mi service and they were fine, pleasant in fact. Threw in a free inspection, went on my way. After this new TSB Revision came out, I went in (my crickets in full chirp) and inquired about the TSB. The service guy wouldn't even talk to me about the car. Said to come back and talk to their resident "FR-S Expert" the next day, or call. It's a 30 minute drive, so I was annoyed. I called the next day and spoke to their 'expert' who obviously wasn't up-to-date with the new Revision. He kept insisting it was the same pump and it wouldn't fix it. He also rambled on about some CEL needing to be on or some bullshit, which obviously isn't in the TSB at all - even older revisions. ANYWAY *sigh*, I went back in today armed with the latest TSB PDF, showing that my car falls into the VIN range and showing that it mentions nothing about a CEL. I also had numerous recordings I made (audio and audio/video, showing the license plate then the noise) highlighting the loud crickets. They didn't want to listen to the car on the spot or hear my files, but I have an appointment for tomorrow morning for them to check it out. Since it's cooler this time of year they're slightly quieter, but still there. Hopefully this goes through and I get the new pump.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #3226
Bru

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jertronic View Post
The engine revs smoother, that's great to hear. But what does the new HPFP sound like? Crickets or no crickets?
Definitely no more chirping. Before the fix, the noise bounced off other cars loudly enough at stop lights to get other drivers attention. It was embarrassing. Had it fixed at 13,700 miles.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #3227
CARNZ
CHECK ENGINE

Drives: 2004 STi
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Installed my new HPFP today at work, sounds good so far, but time will tell.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3228
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
First time I went there was just for 7,500mi service and they were fine, pleasant in fact. Threw in a free inspection, went on my way. After this new TSB Revision came out, I went in (my crickets in full chirp) and inquired about the TSB. The service guy wouldn't even talk to me about the car. Said to come back and talk to their resident "FR-S Expert" the next day, or call. It's a 30 minute drive, so I was annoyed. I called the next day and spoke to their 'expert' who obviously wasn't up-to-date with the new Revision. He kept insisting it was the same pump and it wouldn't fix it. He also rambled on about some CEL needing to be on or some bullshit, which obviously isn't in the TSB at all - even older revisions. ANYWAY *sigh*, I went back in today armed with the latest TSB PDF, showing that my car falls into the VIN range and showing that it mentions nothing about a CEL. I also had numerous recordings I made (audio and audio/video, showing the license plate then the noise) highlighting the loud crickets. They didn't want to listen to the car on the spot or hear my files, but I have an appointment for tomorrow morning for them to check it out. Since it's cooler this time of year they're slightly quieter, but still there. Hopefully this goes through and I get the new pump.

Everything about the way you were treated is really unacceptable.

I hope that we are done thinking that any of us can expect good service at a dealership. I, for one, no longer believe that it exists.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #3229
JDM FRS

Drives: Scion FRS(Whiteout)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Did you ask to speak to the manager?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
JDM FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #3230
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sleepyeyez View Post
Take it to another dealership. It's most definitely a TSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the date on the newest TSB? Link to the PDF file? The last one I saw posted on this thread the dates were March 19, 2013 for revision 1 and October 17, 2013 revision 2 to include 2014 year models. Mine was changed out in May 2013. I asked the service guy when I went in for my first service at the dealership last week, he said there was no new TSB or pump.

My replacement pump started chirping 200 miles after it was installed, BTW.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 11-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #3231
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why the hell are people going in to get it replaced in the first place? It's just going to start up again after a little while. And he one guy said he gets attention from other drivers because of it. How the hell do you know they're giving you attention because of the chirping sound?? Are they rolling down the window and telling you?

Just wait for a god damn fix from toyota. It's annoying but you might as well deal with it. Going to get it replaced is a complete waste of time.
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #3232
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
new pump being installed tuesday,
had to get subaru of canada to phone them before i could get things moving.
confirmed from my dealer that it is indeed a completely different pump. @brianhj - if you would read back, there is a new pump, and the outlook looks good on this one being the fix we all waited for.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #3233
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Why the hell are people going in to get it replaced in the first place? It's just going to start up again after a little while. And he one guy said he gets attention from other drivers because of it. How the hell do you know they're giving you attention because of the chirping sound?? Are they rolling down the window and telling you?

Just wait for a god damn fix from toyota. It's annoying but you might as well deal with it. Going to get it replaced is a complete waste of time.
The "god damn fix from toyota" is apparently here as of late October, which is why everyone is trying to get it replaced. Did you read the last few pages?
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nalc For This Useful Post:
sierra (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #3234
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post

The fix is out... I got my pump replaced with the brand new part number and it is silent still. Over 100 miles now. Some people are nearing 1,000 miles and still quiet. This information was true prior to the Oct. 17th TSB for Scion though. That pump was the same one.

The engine sounds fantastic with it. It almost felt weird driving because I've gone 12k miles with crickets. Almost like I was expecting the noise and it just won't happen.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote