follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #29
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTheStallion View Post
maybe even with pink stickers.
That's not very OEM+

but very cash money
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
BuckTheStallion (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #30
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
Which lw flywheel did you use? Is it any louder than stock?

I want to do the mod when I replace my clutch, but I have read all lw flywheels cause really bad clutch chatter (especially with the A/C on) with these cars.
I used the Exedy stage 1 clutch kit that came with a lwfw (FF503, 12.7 lbs). I've heard it's been discontinued now.

I might have gotten really lucky, but so far with 150 miles on it, there been no chatter. My stock flywheel would sometimes make a marbles in a can rattle sound at idle with the ac on, but I haven't heard it at all with this setup. The only significant noise I hear is a cabin resonance on deceleration from 3500-2500 RPM in 5th gear. That might be caused by my whiteline diff cradle bushings though, as the sound seems to come from the rear and is similar to the sound they make, just amplified with the new flywheel. Other than that, this setup is very quiet.

I think what helps is the Exedy flywheel isn't too light and the clutch has inner springs to absorb shocks and vibrations (and is full-faced). It's also easy to drive. I'd highly recommend it (so far).

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Mike_ZN6 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #31
BuckTheStallion

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 - Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well I guess it's not technically an OEM+ build then? I mean, my whole point was that I want light customizations to make everything work the best it can without compromising the OEM balance and experience. I'm not chasing a high dyno number or an impressive widebody setup, just a slightly tuned up stock experience, better suited to my region. I wouldn't be considering vents and a cooler if it weren't for living in one of the hottest places on earth. Haha. If vents and an oil cooler qualify me for a build, then I guess it's, at minimum, an extremely diet build. Haha.

But I digress, this thread has been extremely helpful so far, and if you want to keep the ideas coming, I'd appreciate it. It's really helping me focus in on the stuff I need and want. But if anyone is done and just wants to let the thread die, then that's perfectly fine too. Thanks for your ongoing help!

Last edited by BuckTheStallion; 07-11-2020 at 05:36 AM.
BuckTheStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuckTheStallion For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #32
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Another minor and cheap thing: emblems. You can get good quality ones from eBay for cheap. I got matte black ones for the front, back, and sides:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...77&postcount=3
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #33
BuckTheStallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Another minor and cheap thing: emblems. You can get good quality ones from eBay for cheap. I got matte black ones for the front, back, and sides:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...77&postcount=3
That's pretty cool, I'm not really focused on cosmetic changes, but good to know they're out there. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #34
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I would just forgo OEM+ idea and get a supercharger and oil cooler first (since you are in Arizona). That transforms your car. The rest are just incremental modifications. Spend the money for the rest of the modifications based on your taste and supporting the supercharger. You will end up spending that much money anyway even without the supercharger and nowhere near the performance of FI.

With the supercharger, you probably won't care about the carbon fiber drive shaft which is almost 1/3 price of supercharger kit, need the final drive trick, or header and additional tune.

Just my experience.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #35
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Yes that's true. OEM+ is about staying close to the design of the manufacturer and about installing parts that were tested by the factory on the particular platform. A good FI kit is a much easier way to improve performance, but not really an OEM or OEM+ option. So, it is always a matter of decisions and priorities.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #36
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Well I guess it's not technically an OEM+ build then? I mean, my whole point was that I want light customizations to make everything work the best it can without compromising the OEM balance and experience. I'm not chasing a high dyno number or an impressive widebody setup, just a slightly tuned up stock experience, better suited to my region. I wouldn't be considering vents and a cooler if it weren't for living in one of the hottest places on earth. Haha. If vents and an oil cooler qualify me for a build, then I guess it's, at minimum, an extremely diet build. Haha.

But I digress, this thread has been extremely helpful so far, and if you want to keep the ideas coming, I'd appreciate it. It's really helping me focus in on the stuff I need and want. But if anyone is done and just wants to let the thread die, then that's perfectly fine too. Thanks for your ongoing help!
There’s really no point in cutting up your hood for hood vents for street use. Get a GOOD oil cooler (GReddy or JR) and you’re good to go. Especially since you’re not trying to add a bunch of power.

Only way I’d suggest the hood vents is if you were adamant about tracking the car during the summer months; but many of the events here in AZ start at like 4am during the summer and go to like noon, just to beat the heat.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #37
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes that's true. OEM+ is about staying close to the design of the manufacturer and about installing parts that were tested by the factory on the particular platform. A good FI kit is a much easier way to improve performance, but not really an OEM or OEM+ option. So, it is always a matter of decisions and priorities.

Technically TRD did do an OEM+ Supercharger for this platform. :P
Old 07-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #38
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well according to this thread my car build is not OEM+
Damn.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #39
BuckTheStallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
There’s really no point in cutting up your hood for hood vents for street use. Get a GOOD oil cooler (GReddy or JR) and you’re good to go. Especially since you’re not trying to add a bunch of power.

Only way I’d suggest the hood vents is if you were adamant about tracking the car during the summer months; but many of the events here in AZ start at like 4am during the summer and go to like noon, just to beat the heat.
My main concern that the hood vents would address (and an oil cooler would miss) is underhood temps for everything else. I'm working on picking up a bluetooth dongle right now to monitor my oil temp and see if I need an oil cooler, but other components will still get hot even with a cooler, like coils and intake piping. It's 120F right now outside, and while I don't have any symptoms of overheating or anything (I definitely shouldn't on any modern car in good working order), I know that it's going to reduce the lifespan on many components under the hood. I'm gonna get a bluetooth OBD2 dongle and start monitoring things before I make any modifications, but they're still on my short list, assuming I need them.

As for the Supercharger option a few have mentioned, I can't find any reference to a TRD one, not available at least, but I think I read about them testing one a long time ago. I'd probably go with an HKS SC if I was going forced induction, and I might eventually TBH, but not for a while still. 250whp seems like it would be absolutely a dream in this car, but I don't know how much extra engine stress it would cause, especially with this heat.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #40
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You will need an oil cooler. That is the next thing I am doing to the car now that I live in Vegas. Even driving on the street after a couple of light pulls you can get temps fairly high. I have seen nearly 230 just cruising on days with high ambient temps.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #41
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
My main concern that the hood vents would address (and an oil cooler would miss) is underhood temps for everything else. I'm working on picking up a bluetooth dongle right now to monitor my oil temp and see if I need an oil cooler, but other components will still get hot even with a cooler, like coils and intake piping. It's 120F right now outside, and while I don't have any symptoms of overheating or anything (I definitely shouldn't on any modern car in good working order), I know that it's going to reduce the lifespan on many components under the hood. I'm gonna get a bluetooth OBD2 dongle and start monitoring things before I make any modifications, but they're still on my short list, assuming I need them.

As for the Supercharger option a few have mentioned, I can't find any reference to a TRD one, not available at least, but I think I read about them testing one a long time ago. I'd probably go with an HKS SC if I was going forced induction, and I might eventually TBH, but not for a while still. 250whp seems like it would be absolutely a dream in this car, but I don't know how much extra engine stress it would cause, especially with this heat.
As somebody who also lives in AZ and has done track days in the desert heat, I can say you’ll be fine. I wouldn’t cut up a perfectly good OEM hood to screw in some gutter looking vents. I know they’re functional but dear God they look like cheap clearance sale trash. If anything, I’d buy an aftermarket vented hood.

But you’ll be fine without. Modern cars are pretty well designed. There are plenty of people who are driving these cars fairly hard in conditions just as rough.

You can do it if you want, and the temps will definitely be managed; but I think the time and money would be better spent elsewhere.

There is no TRD option available to the public. If looking at an SC kit, Jackson Racing is pretty popular and has plenty of track time R&D behind it. They also offer a CARB version that comes with an ECU tune and is Cali CARB compliant. I would probably go that route, personally. But that’ll also contribute to increased heat.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #42
BuckTheStallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
As somebody who also lives in AZ and has done track days in the desert heat, I can say you’ll be fine. I wouldn’t cut up a perfectly good OEM hood to screw in some gutter looking vents. I know they’re functional but dear God they look like cheap clearance sale trash. If anything, I’d buy an aftermarket vented hood.

But you’ll be fine without. Modern cars are pretty well designed. There are plenty of people who are driving these cars fairly hard in conditions just as rough.

You can do it if you want, and the temps will definitely be managed; but I think the time and money would be better spent elsewhere.

There is no TRD option available to the public. If looking at an SC kit, Jackson Racing is pretty popular and has plenty of track time R&D behind it. They also offer a CARB version that comes with an ECU tune and is Cali CARB compliant. I would probably go that route, personally. But that’ll also contribute to increased heat.
I'll look over the Jackson SC, but I honestly don't think forced induction is in the cards for me. I know Edelbrock looks tempting with their included warranty, if I were to go FI. For now I think I'll focus on heat management, then work on suspension.

As for heat management, an oil cooler looks like it'll probably be in the cards for me, but I'll get an oil temp monitoring system set up before I decide to go that route. Same thing with a hood, I'm hoping to find a partout hood in the same color (asphalt) to cut and install, but I personally don't have an issue with the looks of the factory hood plus vents. They're functional. I like function. Most aftermarket hoods I've seen don't seem to have very functional extraction setups, and focus more on looks. I could be mistaken and there might be some well designed ones out there, but I haven't seen them. (Mind you I haven't been looking very hard either though.)