follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #1121
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Apparently they already started working on the car and just didn't tell me. Rod bearings went, didn't go into detail because my service advisor didn't actually know what exactly happened but he did already say it was all already covered by factory and stuff. So I should be in the clear thankfully.
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #1122
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodollarcuts View Post
Sorry about the jambalaya of words. What I mean is that about a second after I have shifted into 3rd (or 4th, 5th, or 6th) and have released the clutch, the car revs about 500-700 RPM by itself then goes back to normal. (Apologies for putting 5k to 7k initially. Not sure where my head was at). Any insight?
So, you shift into a gear, let up on the clutch and the car revs 5-700 rpm (without you stepping on the gas?).

It sounds like maybe the clutch isn't fully engaging right after it's released -

IF, that's the case, it could be due to a warn out clutch disk, a weak pressure plate, the clutch being out of adjustment or oil on the clutch disk/pressure plate/flywheel.

I would suggest you warm up your car, set the emergency brake, put it in 2nd gear, rev to about 2,000 rpms and slowly let out the clutch. If you kill the engine right away, that usually indicates that the clutch is OK. If the engine continues to run, something to do with the clutch is slipping.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
twodollarcuts (08-18-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #1123
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrz91 View Post
Apparently they already started working on the car and just didn't tell me. Rod bearings went, didn't go into detail because my service advisor didn't actually know what exactly happened but he did already say it was all already covered by factory and stuff. So I should be in the clear thankfully.
As I predicted... did they indicate if you are getting a new shortblock or if they are just replacing the minimum number of parts?
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
twodollarcuts (08-18-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #1124
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
As I predicted... did they indicate if you are getting a new shortblock or if they are just replacing the minimum number of parts?
Unfortunately I didn't ask and even after my thorough reading of the forums I didn't think to verify/insist on. They may be. The advisor just wasn't sure and didn't know, I've kind of been tossed between three different guys( not their faults, more my own of how much I've called, I've put a lot of hands in this pot). Do I definitely NEED a short block? Or is it possible that I might not need one?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #1125
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Unfortunately I didn't ask and even after my thorough reading of the forums I didn't think to verify/insist on. They may be. The advisor just wasn't sure and didn't know, I've kind of been tossed between three different guys( not their faults, more my own of how much I've called, I've put a lot of hands in this pot). Do I definitely NEED a short block? Or is it possible that I might not need one?
I would definitely want a new short-block. I would not trust the dealership that already screwed up your engine one time to properly rebuild the engine. There is a lot more that can go wrong with a rebuild vs. replacing the short-block.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
ermax (08-15-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #1126
Alfrz91

They are now claiming there is sludge built up due to lack of oil changes(not possible) and are not going to take care of it. I'm going to head down there now to look at it and obviously fight this. They're stating that I need a new short block so I suppose I'm now going to take pictures and look for this so called sludge.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #1127
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
They are now claiming there is sludge built up due to lack of oil changes(not possible) and are not going to take care of it. I'm going to head down there now to look at it and obviously fight this. They're stating that I need a new short block so I suppose I'm now going to take pictures and look for this so called sludge.
Every engine has some sludge in it, if that's what they want to say there isn't much else to do but take them to court.

Unfortunately that's how it goes.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #1128
Alfrz91

I feel like they cleaned it up before I got there some because it makes no sense that my car was starved before this. The oil pickup was pretty spare but there was an rtv piece near it, and under the oil cap there was a piece of rtv. this is BS all day long. I'll put up what pictures I took but honestly I have no clue what I even just took pictures of. I just went off like I was the paparazzi with the shutter button
Old 08-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #1129
Alfrz91

https://m.imgur.com/a/FCuFkQS
not sure entirely what I was looking at. To me that grey stuff looks like the rtv but the mechanic said that wasn't possible for it to be there. I took my oil filter with me in the hopes that there might be some inside of it(is that even possible?, I'm an idiot I know)
Old 08-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #1130
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

not sure entirely what I was looking at. To me that grey stuff looks like the rtv but the mechanic said that wasn't possible for it to be there. I took my oil filter with me in the hopes that there might be some inside of it(is that even possible?, I'm an idiot I know)

Can’t get there my ass! That is where it always ends up. Even the instructions have pictures of clogged pickups as a warning. Your pickup doesn’t look that bad though but who knows if they cleaned it up before you saw it. Claiming packing can’t make it to the pickup makes me not trust them.

I hate reading this thread full of stories of people being taken advantage of.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #1131
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
They are just grasping for reasons to not cover the repair now... what happened to the service advisor that promised that it would all be covered under warranty? Do you have proof of timely oil changes to present to them?
Quote:
I feel like they cleaned it up before I got there some because it makes no sense that my car was starved before this. The oil pickup was pretty spare but there was an rtv piece near it, and under the oil cap there was a piece of rtv. this is BS all day long. I'll put up what pictures I took but honestly I have no clue what I even just took pictures of. I just went off like I was the paparazzi with the shutter button
They almost certainly cleaned it up before you showed up, they aren’t going to leave incriminating evidence of their shoddy work. It’s too big of a coincidence that your engine failed shortly after they worked on it.
Quote:

It is possible for the rtv to end up anywhere in the engine... that is the root of the whole issue. There could be some inside of your oil filter, but it would be hard to present that as evidence after you’ve brought the filter home as they could try to claim you tampered with the filter or that you can’t prove at a later date that the filter was even the one on your engine at the time of failure. Good luck, you have a battle on your hands... don’t back down.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:33 AM   #1132
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I hate reading this thread full of stories of people being taken advantage of.
It's painful. I want to shake everyone and yell "Stop! Don't do it!"
Old 08-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #1133
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I haven't heard of "sludge buildup" damaging an engine since the 1940s -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #1134
Alfrz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I haven't heard of "sludge buildup" damaging an engine since the 1940s -

humfrz
What they had actually said was the 'sludge' caused the oil pump to fail. Causing the issue. Either way this is gonna be fun times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alfrz91 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-19-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue