follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
d3vnull

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question AEM CD-7 Digital Dash Swap Information

Been looking around the forums and internet and can’t seem to find anyone who has done a gauge cluster swap on an FR-S/BRZ/GT86 for the AEM CD-7 Digital Dash. Specifically trying to prepare for any issues I might run into with effectively deleting the stock factory cluster given I worry that the ECU might have some issues with that cluster not being connected. Anyone with experience doing this or some guidance on where I might find some more information would be great!
d3vnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Since the AEM just connects to the OBDII port, you could just keep the stock gauges plugged in and hidden in the dash.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:15 PM   #3
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3vnull View Post
Been looking around the forums and internet and can’t seem to find anyone who has done a gauge cluster swap on an FR-S/BRZ/GT86 for the AEM CD-7 Digital Dash. Specifically trying to prepare for any issues I might run into with effectively deleting the stock factory cluster given I worry that the ECU might have some issues with that cluster not being connected. Anyone with experience doing this or some guidance on where I might find some more information would be great!
OK! i have some good experience with this.. first of.. your gonna have to calibrate the tank level sensor as that is read by the cluster then transmitted by canbus. also, the interior lighting regulation is done by the cluster too. If thats disconnected the lights at night that are AC controller radio etc.. are all gone. does a small part about fuel usage calculation. IF you have a turn key you will also need to replicate parts of the canbus as its part of the immobilizer system for turn key cars. Also, alternator light is important. without the proper load on the signal the alternator will not turn on and your car will die.

Most of this wont be a issue maybe if you have a racecar.. but replacing cluster other then that will be pretty hard. Im sure im forgetting a couple of other bigger things but a lot of issues.

Lastly.. OBD2 is not the same as canbus. So although is supports obd2 you still need a way to replicate the canbus system,Completely different.
jcw99 (10-03-2020), MJones_RB (10-02-2020)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
d3vnull

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
OK! i have some good experience with this.. first of.. your gonna have to calibrate the tank level sensor as that is read by the cluster then transmitted by canbus. also, the interior lighting regulation is done by the cluster too. If thats disconnected the lights at night that are AC controller radio etc.. are all gone. does a small part about fuel usage calculation. IF you have a turn key you will also need to replicate parts of the canbus as its part of the immobilizer system for turn key cars. Also, alternator light is important. without the proper load on the signal the alternator will not turn on and your car will die.

Most of this wont be a issue maybe if you have a racecar.. but replacing cluster other then that will be pretty hard. Im sure im forgetting a couple of other bigger things but a lot of issues.

Lastly.. OBD2 is not the same as canbus. So although is supports obd2 you still need a way to replicate the canbus system,Completely different.
Thank you for all this information! The stars must have aligned and brought me back to this thread today given I actually just got done installing your TracBox in my FR-S just yesterday, lol.

Given all this and my desire to keep the car street friendly, I am going to look to figure out a mounting solution to get my dash attached to the steering column sitting in front of the stock cluster.
d3vnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:37 AM   #5
Nstewart
Idiot

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Hey geraldjust, since there's almost no information about cluster swapping the on the internet would you be willing to go into more detail into the AEM swap? Perhaps a tutorial or some kind of instructions if its not too much to ask?
Nstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:17 AM   #6
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstewart View Post
Hey geraldjust, since there's almost no information about cluster swapping the on the internet would you be willing to go into more detail into the AEM swap? Perhaps a tutorial or some kind of instructions if its not too much to ask?
As explained above, unless your running a aftermarket ecu, you cant do much of the advanced functions or replace the stock cluster. If your willing to mount your CD-7 on top of your existing cluster then get the OBD2 kit you can get with your AEM. But then its pretty self explanatory.

Tags
aem, dash, gauge, gauge cluster