follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
El Manuel Transmission

So for all you guys with the 6 speed I would like to ask some questions and make some comments:
Some days I love this gear box, and other days I get frustrated. It’s temperamental, which I’m used to with Subie gearboxes, and I love the mechanical feel of it. That being said, it’s especially finicky.
(I’m a veteran manual driver, but not a pro or anything)

1. Do you experience a lot of crunchy gear changes from 1 to 2? I find the 1-2 shift especially tricky, which is unfortunate because of how many times you make that shift.

2. Is the “tractor” sound normal when you are in a higher gear at lower rpm’s? My car really sounds like a little tractor in that situation. Lol It’s especially noticeable when you are in say 2nd gear slowly moving through a parking lot.

3. What is the consensus on short shift kits? I’m worried about spending a bunch of money on one and not being happy with it. I added a oem TRD shift knob, which surprisingly feels lighter than the stock one. I really like it though.

4. Is removing the clutch assist spring a helpful thing? I agree that the clutch takeup is a little strange, but my issues aren’t with the clutch pedal.

Overall it’s a great transmission, it feels light and mechanical and is usually precise. But at times I wonder if the synchros aren’t always up to the job. I had synchros replaced on my WRX as part of a recall, so I know it happens with Subaru manuals. Any other thoughts or comments about the 6 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have same exact problems man lmbo. I'm actually going change my fluid to see if that helps. I took it back to the dealer a week after I had bought it and they changed my shifter inner bushings but that changed nothing. My exhaust hides the sound but I know it's still there.

I also threw out the spring lol and did the clutch mod which puts my clutch pedal lower than my brake pedal. Fluid and kartboy is the next step. I've found a kartboy for sale

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I like the clutch assist spring per stock.
Commuting in town with a heavy clutch is what finally convinced me to sell the alfa.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
1. idk been driving the car too long to notice.
2. Don't accelerate hard below 2k rpm, the engine doesn't like it, downshift.
3. Never felt the need to try one.
4. Makes the pedal harder to depress, I'm meh about it.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019), Spuds (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
1. This transmission is notorious for this clunk, especially when cold.

2. This is lugging your engine, no bueno. Make sure you're giving it more gas, or pushing the clutch when this happens.

3. I have the TRD quick shift kit. I like it. Most people prefer the shifter kit, like KartBoy.

4. I did it, and will never go back. most people say the same thing. It is a reversible mod, but a little trickier to get back in than take out.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I have same exact problems man lmbo. I'm actually going change my fluid to see if that helps. I took it back to the dealer a week after I had bought it and they changed my shifter inner bushings but that changed nothing. My exhaust hides the sound but I know it's still there.

I also threw out the spring lol and did the clutch mod which puts my clutch pedal lower than my brake pedal. Fluid and kartboy is the next step. I've found a kartboy for sale

I meant to ask about that also, I was wondering if switching to a better fluid like Redline would help.

Is the clutch pedal too heavy without the spring?

Old 11-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Not at all. I would say it bit is faster. But I got used to it after week. A lot of the guys I know recommend changing the fluid. Lowering pedal makes shifting easier and more fun.

Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
JesseG

El Manuel Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
1. This transmission is notorious for this clunk, especially when cold.

2. This is lugging your engine, no bueno. Make sure you're giving it more gas, or pushing the clutch when this happens.

3. I have the TRD quick shift kit. I like it. Most people prefer the shifter kit, like KartBoy.

4. I did it, and will never go back. most people say the same thing. It is a reversible mod, but a little trickier to get back in than take out.

I should clarify Lol I’m not putting excessive load on the engine, but I still sometimes hear a rattly tractor sound. I may not be describing it well.

I will look into the TRD shift kit, I’ve been spending too much on TRD parts lately. Lol

The 1-2 shift is my main problem, occasionally going into 1st is tricky. The times the synchros are lined up and it shifts perfectly I love it.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
1. Yes, until I did the transmission oil change to Amsoil. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127620). Need to do a final review update but sneak peek is it's been great so far.

2. Don't do that. If you hear that sound, time to downshift.

4. I've done @Ultramaroon's clutch slave swap. Adds just a bit more effort but feels great. Part of it is the pedal adjustment, part is the smaller cylinder. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
Beachin86

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
1. The gearbox is notorious for this on stock fluids and cold weather. Swapping fluids helps. I tried Redline and Motul, and prefer the Motul. I still use RedLine for motor oil.

2. Normal. Clutch in when this happens since you probably don't want to downshift into 1st or lug the engine.

3. No experience on this one.

4. This is the single greatest "mod" I've done to this car. I immediately got more feedback from the clutch. I bought an MTEC spring thinking I would swap it, but once I pulled out the stock one and drove around, I didn't want to go back to having a spring. Try it. You can always stick the spring back in.
Beachin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beachin86 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Well it isn't actually a Subaru gearbox it is an Aisin AZ6 so comparing it to the rest is meaningless. No doubt somebody will correct me if wrong but I do not believe any other Subarus use Aisin.

It is a notchy tranny that likes things warm and shifts to be pretty precise. I personally don't think this is a bad thing at all.

It makes tractor noises all the time.

I have grown so used to the clutch feel that now others feel weird to me. @Ultramaroon has a slave swap that my interest you though.
JesseG (11-01-2019), ls1ac (11-01-2019), strat61caster (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Get rid of the crappy TRD shift knob, it's too light and makes the shifts crunchier than stock.

Stick with the stock knob or you can try the newer STI knob thats a bit taller and heavier for more leverage. It's a really nicely made shifter. I've tried a bunch of shift knobs and always go back to the one it came with. Just feels the best to me. The newer red one that came with the tS i believe is the one i use. nicer leather and the red pops.

Only issues i really have with the transmission is you need to be a little bit firm with it. Only times i've ever had "grinding" is when im tired or just lazily shifting. I've replaced the trans oil with motul and it's probably due again soon.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
JesseG (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
1. Yes, until I did the transmission oil change to Amsoil. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127620). Need to do a final review update but sneak peek is it's been great so far.

2. Don't do that. If you hear that sound, time to downshift.

4. I've done @Ultramaroon's clutch slave swap. Adds just a bit more effort but feels great. Part of it is the pedal adjustment, part is the smaller cylinder. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77390

That’s awesome to hear!! I’m going to switch to Amsoil or Redline. I bought my car used with about 19k miles, so I’m not sure if the fluid has been changed.

I’m going to read that thread about the clutch slave cylinder, thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Spuds (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The only issue I have sometimes is trouble putting it into 1st. Sometimes it doesn't go in fully and so I have to release the clutch, clutch back in and then it'll let me go into 1st.

Other than that, when it gets going I don't feel a problem. I do have a heavier knob, did my mtec springs and perinn/whiteline bushings a few years back.
JesseG (11-01-2019)