follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 04-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #2199
Im_SPEED

Drives: FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OK so I know why it's smoking I have a ton of crank case pressure under throttle. Any idea what to even check. (Everything is hooked up correctly) also still waiting on if the pcv valve was not suposta be reinstalled.

Thanks
Im_SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #2200
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_SPEED View Post
OK so I know why it's smoking I have a ton of crank case pressure under throttle. Any idea what to even check. (Everything is hooked up correctly) also still waiting on if the pcv valve was not suposta be reinstalled.

Thanks

Dude, you're so close. Go back to the install instructions and find the part where it tells you to remove the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #2201
itsibarra

Drives: Supercharged Car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Dude, you're so close. Go back to the install instructions and find the part where it tells you to remove the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve.
lol @BirdTRD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_SPEED View Post

Thanks
New PCV hoses are supplied, but re-connected. One to the bottom nose fitting near the throttle body (step 121) and the other goes to the back of the intake (step 157). It just sounds like someone needs a catch can (or two).
itsibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #2202
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
This may be a bit preliminary, but a word of caution/warning to all 2017MY Subaru BRZ Manual owners who are looking to add the EBSC.

The supercharger assy does not seem to fit. At the moment I believe this is due to a change in alternators from the 13-16MY to the 17MY manuals. The ones with the updated engine and intake (red) manifold are a little different, but you can see that the two cables/plugs are in different locations (mainly on top). This keeps the SC assy raised about .25 to .5 inches from actually touching the passenger side of the engine block. You can't clocked the cables out of the way, like you could on the 13 - 16MY cars.

Edelbrock, has been contacted but their R&D team have not had the chance to get a 17MY car in to confirm the issue or check for a solution. The official response is, they will have one soon, but as of now the kit is not cleared for 2017 manual BRZs.

I bought this kit from CSG, ,myself and CSG are under the impression that a simple alternator swap from a 13 - 16 car could cure this problem. But, its hard to find a ton of info to compare sizes, cable plug types, power output, etc......to know for sure. So, its just easier to try an actual early model alternator. I am in the process of attaining one, and I will report back once I have something more to add. Hopefully, a retro alternator will be a fix. But, its just a theory at the moment.

Keep fingers crossed.

Edit Update: I have a used alternator that is on its way to me. It is from a 14 BRZ that had 16k miles on it. I will update with any news once the part arrives.
Update:

I have an alternator in my hands. It was a unit with 16k from a '14 BRZ. It looks older than that on the housing, but the unit looks real healthy otherwise. You can see the differences in the housing/size and location of connectors below. And, although the unit bolts right up with no issues, the control/monitor cable (smaller cable of the two) has a different plug and I will need to sort that out before this solution will work. I may be as easy as cutting and soldering. It may require a harness, etc. But I will report back once I have something more to share, but please see the photos below.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1493123302

Attached Images

brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (04-26-2017), CounterSpace Garage (04-25-2017), CSG Mike (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #2203
ForcedFed

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FYI, anyone with a JDM 86/BRZ.

After contacting them, it appears Edelbrock does not support outside of the USDM market. They do not have a compatible ROM file for the JDM ECU.
I will have to source my own custom tune. Good thing I didn't get ahead of myself and tried to get it working before installing the assembly. :/
ForcedFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #2204
colushi808

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Hi, finally approved to post and this is my first one. I have been lurking since around the beginning. Never had to register or post since about everything can be found here.

But now, is there anyone here from LA county with a MY 2017 manual car that would be down to have Edelbrock use for development? If so, please contact them. I did through Facebook under edelbrock performance. Really want this kit up and running with warranty on my car!

Now from reading a few posts up there is a little fitment issues, not just tuning.
colushi808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #2205
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colushi808 View Post
Hi, finally approved to post and this is my first one. I have been lurking since around the beginning. Never had to register or post since about everything can be found here.
You didn't have to wait until you needed something from this community to register and make your first post
You could have registered to share an opinion, ask a question, comment on a post or thread, or tell us about your excitement about getting an 86. Joining a forum is as much about being involved in discussions as it is about gaining information from them.
Anyway, good luck - Edelbrock are good people. If I had a 2017 to loan, I'd have definitely considered offering it up for 'a good cause'!

Last edited by shiumai; 04-25-2017 at 11:07 PM.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-27-2017), taiguy (04-28-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #2206
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colushi808 View Post

But now, is there anyone here from LA county with a MY 2017 manual car that would be down to have Edelbrock use for development? If so, please contact them. I did through Facebook under edelbrock performance. Really want this kit up and running with warranty on my car!

Now from reading a few posts up there is a little fitment issues, not just tuning.
Added to R&D thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5520
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #2207
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
I talked to Edelbrock last week, when I discover the incompatibility with the new style alternators. I offered my assistance as well, but was told that if and when they need assistance that they would let me know. The are looking to acquire a 17MY car, but even if they had it right now it is down the list on the schedule. Its not their largest priority is basically what I heard, and I understand that completely.

I would offer them my car, but I am literally on the 100th step of the install. I imagine they would want me to reverse what I have done. And, I am wiling. But then I would have to remove my Ace Header, flex fuel kit, and ACT Clutch and many other odds and ends...most likely they would prefer a stock car.

Then, if I was willing to do all that. We still need to get the car to them. Then, they most likely would have the car for several months or longer deciding the best way to proceed.

Still, they are not ready to complete R&D on the 17 BRZs...so until they are none of this will matter.

It does seem to appear that all 17 BRZs (not sure about 86s) have the newer style alternator. This will cause a problem with the SC assy fitment. I currently have an older style alternator loosely bolted up to my car, while I am looking into how to handle a harness plug issue. The two style of alternators have different plugs and wiring on the monitor cable (smaller of the two). This is new ground for me, and my experience is limited. I am also getting support from CSG, and hopefully together we can see a simple solution. I don't think a cable will be too big of an issue, but sometimes the worms come out of the can.

But, I would hold off on the EBSC if you have a 2017 for now. Unless your willing to troubleshoot, then by all means find me a solution.

Cause I am ready to try this sucker out.

EDIT: Btw, if you plan on calling EB you will want to talk to Topher. He is the rep in charge of the EBSC for our cars. I believe the phone menu options are (so you can skip the long menu dialogue) 1, 4, 5. Then you will still have to ask for Topher. I would call after 9am PST, and be prepared to wait. Patience is a virtue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-27-2017), sato (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #2208
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
So that also goes for the automatic MY17 twins as well? The only major differences (publicly known) that the MY17s for both 86 and BRZ have are the intake manifold (red) and the intake airbox/tubes.

If anyone can confirm that the autos 17 utilize the same units as previous year models, that'd be INCREDIBLE for R&D building for these new models.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #2209
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAsianBradah View Post
So that also goes for the automatic MY17 twins as well? The only major differences (publicly known) that the MY17s for both 86 and BRZ have are the intake manifold (red) and the intake airbox/tubes.

If anyone can confirm that the autos 17 utilize the same units as previous year models, that'd be INCREDIBLE for R&D building for these new models.
For you the question may be, more BRZ vs 86. I was informed that the 17 BRZ autos also had the newer style alternator. I have no idea about the Toyota 86s.
Snap a pic of your alternator and I can confirm it for you.

EDIT: or you can look at my pics on a previous post, and see the two styles side by side. That could help you determine if it is the newer or older style.

Last edited by brzaapi; 04-26-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #2210
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
2017+ uses a different alternator.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #2211
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Ok there's a small problem.. Good news first: my installer for the kit said that everything on my toyota 86 2017 fits perfectly.. Bad news is that the ECU is JDM spec. The supplied Edelbrock CARB Tune works on USDM spec ECUs. I dont understand why there's a JDM spec ECU in a USDM car.

My options to fulfill the kit is to get someone who can tune this kit perfectly on this JDM model. I'll have to turn my attention to Delicious Tuning as they're like the only ones who can solve my problem.

*UPDATE* - My installer communicated with Edelbrock about the tuning issue and Edelbrock asked for a screenshot in order to assist and possibly recalibrate their CARB Tune.

Looks like my installer was confused on the ECU.. They thought it was JDM.. even though it's actually USDM.. Hence a car being sold as a USDM Toyota 86.. The 2017 calibration most likely is different than the previous year models so in turn Edelbrock has to setup a different tune for the MY17 models.

So now I'm waiting to see if Edelbrock provides the solution (due to my installers prompting me not to nuy anything just yet), or if not I'll just buy the Delicious Tuning solution.

Last edited by ThatAsianBradah; 04-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.
ThatAsianBradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #2212
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatAsianBradah View Post
Ok there's a small problem.. Good news first: my installer for the kit said that everything on my toyota 86 2017 fits perfectly.. Bad news is that the ECU is JDM spec. The supplied Edelbrock CARB Tune works on USDM spec ECUs. I dont understand why there's a JDM spec ECU in a USDM car.

My options to fulfill the kit is to get someone who can tune this kit perfectly on this JDM model. I'll have to turn my attention to Delicious Tuning as they're like the only ones who can solve my problem.

*UPDATE* - My installer communicated with Edelbrock about the tuning issue and Edelbrock asked for a screenshot in order to assist and possibly recalibrate their CARB Tune.

Looks like my installer was confused on the ECU.. They thought it was JDM.. even though it's actually USDM.. Hence a car being sold as a USDM Toyota 86.. The 2017 calibration most likely is different than the previous year models so in turn Edelbrock has to setup a different tune for the MY17 models.

So now I'm waiting to see if Edelbrock provides the solution (due to my installers prompting me not to nuy anything just yet), or if not I'll just buy the Delicious Tuning solution.
The tuner should have known that a new 2017 model car bought in the US
would not have a JDM ecu or calibration unless you had modified it as such beforehand. A JDM ecu installed in a USDM car would get Toyota into a heap of trouble with the feds and all the other smog/safety nazis.

How well do you know this tuner/installer and their familiarity with these vehicles?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
ThatAsianBradah (04-26-2017)