follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
tlim

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Help - oil leak

I have a small oil leak coming from the bottom of the engine on the drivers side. I think it is coming from some kind of sensor, but I don't know what it is. I have attached a photo. What is this and is it common for it to leak? Is it hard to replace? In other words, would I have to drain the oil to replace it?

Thanks!
Attached Images

tlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
what i know is this engine had a lot of leaking issues
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
tlim

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagun View Post
what i know is this engine had a lot of leaking issues
Yeah, I can see there are several threads about various leaks. I guess this could be the TCC seal or this sensor. I assumed it was around the sensor since that seemed to be the highest spot where I found oil, but I don't know if that is very definitive.

Anyway, I cleaned all the oil off to see if I can tell specifically where it is leaking.

It looks like the sensor is in the TCC so I guess replacing it and/or re-sealing around it would not be very hard. Anybody have experience with that?

Last edited by tlim; 04-09-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #4
Amaya

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
It probably just needs a new o-ring. Disconnect the wiring connection and undo the bolt holding it in and it should come out pretty easily (rotate it back and forth a little while pulling). Remove the o-ring(s) and take them to an auto parts store and have them size it up to a new one. Or if you can find an engine diagram and locate what that particular sensor is you should be able to get the exact OEM part. Either way it should be a cheap and easy fix, or at least an easy way to find out that was not what was leaking
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
tlim

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
It probably just needs a new o-ring. Disconnect the wiring connection and undo the bolt holding it in and it should come out pretty easily (rotate it back and forth a little while pulling). Remove the o-ring(s) and take them to an auto parts store and have them size it up to a new one. Or if you can find an engine diagram and locate what that particular sensor is you should be able to get the exact OEM part. Either way it should be a cheap and easy fix, or at least an easy way to find out that was not what was leaking
Thanks for the info! I cleaned all the oil up and put the bottom plate back on. I am going to check it again after a couple of days to see if I can confirm where it is leaking. If I can't tell I will probably replace the o-ring as you suggest to see if that works.