follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #5503
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreC View Post
What causes the "whine" to be louder, and is it a problem?

Since swapping a rebuilt FA20 recently, I've been told the SC whine is more noticeable.

My car has been stripped and caged over the winter so I just figured I was hearing it more, but others are mentioning that is louder than it used to be, but it's pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I would be worried about a louder whine. Check the level and circulation of traction fluid first.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #5504
ShawnP19

Drives: 2016 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
I'm starting to review forced induction options for this car as I'd like a bit more power, I really like the powerband of the jrsc for engine reliability. I also am not a huge fan of mounting a turbo near the radiator/fans and I do not want to deal with the possibility of a cracked exhaust manifold. Do people still have issues with rotrex unit failure? I haven't found anything recent.
I had rotrex failure last year with my c38. A certain percentage will fail but I feel like the same could be said for any mechanical part of any setup. JR honored my warranty and dealing with them wasn't difficult at all. Car was down for a few weeks but it's not my daily so it was fine. Even with the failure, I wasn't discouraged from this particular FI kit, I really do enjoy it.
ShawnP19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ShawnP19 For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-20-2020), CSG Mike (06-19-2020), HachiRokuX (06-20-2020), Jasten (06-20-2020), mrg666 (06-18-2020), sroby (06-26-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #5505
Jasten

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnP19 View Post
I had rotrex failure last year with my c38. A certain percentage will fail but I feel like the same could be said for any mechanical part of any setup. JR honored my warranty and dealing with them wasn't difficult at all. Car was down for a few weeks but it's not my daily so it was fine. Even with the failure, I wasn't discouraged from this particular FI kit, I really do enjoy it.
Same happened to me, still loving it.
Jasten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jasten For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-20-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #5506
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hi Boys - Im highly considering the JR supercharger kit for my 15 BRZ.

I initially this kit was in my radar https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...harger-system/, but as i'm trying to find more information to 'make it right from the start' and minimize problems after force induction, i saw one of the comments recommended the dual radiator and oil cooler. Is this the right one? https://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jac...B#.XvKukC2z1TY

I think it its, just confused that on the JR supercharge kit it mentions "High-Quality Setrab Oil Cooler", so it looks like it already has one?

Any other things to keep in mind?
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #5507
JonAvalon
SCBYD0

Drives: 18 BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfheisenberg View Post

I initially this kit was in my radar https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...harger-system/, but as i'm trying to find more information to 'make it right from the start' and minimize problems after force induction, i saw one of the comments recommended the dual radiator and oil cooler. Is this the right one? https://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jac...B#.XvKukC2z1TY

I think it its, just confused that on the JR supercharge kit it mentions "High-Quality Setrab Oil Cooler", so it looks like it already has one?

The one in the kit is for the Rotrex.

Yes that's the dual radiator/oil cooler or you can do the stand alone oil cooler. Entirely up to you and your needs, will you be tracking the car or is it primarily street?

https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...il-cooler-kit/

Last edited by JonAvalon; 06-24-2020 at 12:18 AM.
JonAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #5508
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Quote:

That cooler is to cool the oil that runs the supercharger unit, I definitively recommend the dedicated oil cooler even if you don't track the car. While the higher oil temps from the dual unit won't break your engine in the short term, in the long term the lower temps will help with the longevity of the whole system.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-25-2020), JEFFSTYLE (08-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #5509
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonAvalon View Post
The one in the kit is for the Rotrex.

Yes that's the dual radiator/oil cooler or you can do the stand alone oil cooler. Entirely up to you and your needs, will you be tracking the car or is it primarily street?

What is that Rotrex you are mentioning? Primary its just a street car and occasionally sprint mountain drives. I do think i drive the car pretty hard, but thats the point of it i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
That cooler is to cool the oil that runs the supercharger unit, I definitively recommend the dedicated oil cooler even if you don't track the car. While the higher oil temps from the dual unit won't break your engine in the short term, in the long term the lower temps will help with the longevity of the whole system.
So would the JS supercharger kit (https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...harger-system/) plus an oil cooler should be good to start? No need to do the dual radiator.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #5510
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Quote:
What is that Rotrex you are mentioning? Primary its just a street car and occasionally sprint mountain drives. I do think i drive the car pretty hard, but thats the point of it i guess.

So would the JS supercharger kit (https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...harger-system/) plus an oil cooler should be good to start? No need to do the dual radiator.
that, plus this

and this

https://jacksonracing.com/product/cs...r-fr-s-86-brz/

The cost for that is $50 higher than the dual radiator oil cooler, which is a no brainer. I should have done this in the first place, instead I wasted time dealing with the dual unit and potentially damaged my engine with high temps (I track my car).

Do it right the first time.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
Jfheisenberg (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #5511
ShawnP19

Garage
Quote:
The Rotrex is the supercharger itself. The blower. It has it's own oiling circuit and that's what that included setrab oil cooler is for.
I daily mine, with occasional autocross, and i drive it hard just about everywhere. No dual radiator, but I do have a dedicated engine oil cooler, just cause it gets hot as balls for summer in GA.
Quite honestly, everything you need to be successful and have a blast is in the base kit you linked first.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #5512
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
The Rotrex is the supercharger itself. The blower. It has it's own oiling circuit and that's what that included setrab oil cooler is for.
I daily mine, with occasional autocross, and i drive it hard just about everywhere. No dual radiator, but I do have a dedicated engine oil cooler, just cause it gets hot as balls for summer in GA.
Quite honestly, everything you need to be successful and have a blast is in the base kit you linked first.
Very clear thank u !
Old 06-28-2020, 09:06 PM   #5513
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Wanna see something funny?

Name:  IMG_3065.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  272.1 KB
Name:  IMG_3064.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  251.3 KB
Name:  IMG_3062.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  334.2 KB

Went to start the car, and it just sheared off. I've had so many people tell me they ran the stripped stock AC compressor and never had any issues....

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #5514
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had any major belt breaking issues with a C38 setup? I'm torn between buying the JRSC C38 kit and the Kraftwerks C38 kit. I don't track my car, as it's strictly a Daily, and the lure of the Kraftwerks cog drive independent of the serpentine is a bit alluring to say the least. I'd hate to break a belt with the Jackson and have to get towed.

I've dealt with Muscle Cars all my life and am relatively new to the Import setups, so I'm a little unsure what, and who to trust. I had a Vortech in my Mach1 but I want to go a different route on this setup.
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #5515
ShawnP19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
Wanna see something funny?
Big oof, buddy. I think I'd rather have my AC shear off than the Rotrex shear off. Either way, rotten luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShawnP19 For This Useful Post:
ML (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #5516
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Big oof, buddy. I think I'd rather have my AC shear off than the Rotrex shear off. Either way, rotten luck.
very true, both very lucky and not lucky at the same time.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote