follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #57
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ros94 View Post
Will swap bov thanks
Will i need a retune?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

If your original BOV was vent-to-atmosphere and your new one is as well I don't believe you will.

If your last BOV discharge was routed back into the intake and you change to vent-to-atmosphere that can sometimes cause problems depending on where you were venting from.

If you ever get up Kitchener way, you are welcome to come check out mine to hear how the Greddy sounds, etc.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:09 AM   #58
ett808

Drives: 86 & CX-5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Greddy Kit with Stockish Exhaust

Anyone run the Greddy kit with stock exhaust. I currently have a Tomei UEI with Tomei overpipe and I like the noise level.

Will the greddy kit work with the Tomei overpipe? The rest of my exhaust is stock after that.

Any advice or examples of similar setups would be cool.

PS. Yes I know turbos love free flowing exhausts but I am looking for a happy medium for my old ears lol.
ett808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #59
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ett808 View Post
Anyone run the Greddy kit with stock exhaust. I currently have a Tomei UEI with Tomei overpipe and I like the noise level.

Will the greddy kit work with the Tomei overpipe? The rest of my exhaust is stock after that.

Any advice or examples of similar setups would be cool.

PS. Yes I know turbos love free flowing exhausts but I am looking for a happy medium for my old ears lol.
Per regulation, we still use OEM front pipe with the OEM cat intact on the driver's test mule. It has been around 25-30 track/race days and no issues. If you're looking to bring the decibel rating down, the CSG Touring86 exhaust does an excellent job keeping the noise level below 90dB and yields very pleasant experiences inside the vehicle.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 AM   #60
ett808

Ceramic vs Header Wrap vs Both?

So I see that some who race with the Greddy kit do both ceramic and header wrap on their headers and other hot parts.

Is this necessary for street/autocross/once-in-a-while drifting?? Am I overthinking it? I kinda wanna do both plus turbo blanket lol. But if it's a waste of money i'll just do one.

PS. I live in HOT Austin, TX.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #61
ett808

Greddy Oil Pan

A present from the J-Land just arrived. Part one of many for the turbo kit prep (^_-) a bunch more stuff on the way.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #62
Ardi

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
So- In the end, I went to a Greddy FV style BOV which seemed to be a vastly superior design (response wise) for applications that don't need to support massive levels of airflow.

Hope this helps.
Is this the universal BOV or the GReddy BOV FV adapter kit for the T518Z? I'll be installing the T518Z soon and deciding whether to run a BOV or not. And if I do run one, whether to vent to atmosphere or recirculate. The adapter kit by GReddy only recirculates.

https://en.trust-power.com/products/...DO9D2cjSmselyU
Ardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #63
Scracho

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
How is your setup holding up and running?

Asking for a friend....
Old 08-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #64
j_ros94

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scracho View Post
How is your setup holding up and running?

Asking for a friend....
Good so far only overheating cuz my fans are too small

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
j_ros94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #65
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ett808 View Post
So I see that some who race with the Greddy kit do both ceramic and header wrap on their headers and other hot parts.

Is this necessary for street/autocross/once-in-a-while drifting?? Am I overthinking it? I kinda wanna do both plus turbo blanket lol. But if it's a waste of money i'll just do one.

PS. I live in HOT Austin, TX.
Wraps > ceramic coatings

Don’t do both. The wrap will act as an abrasive that will wear away the ceramic coating. You could do a coating on the inside of the header only and wrap the outside, but there are two problems that could arise: one is the coating could chip or peal or whatever and get lodged in the turbo or catalytic converter; the other problem is having a professional make a quality weld if the header gets a crack. The coating should be removed before welding. Someone can make an ugly patch job, but the coating and soot would cause noxious vapor for the welder to breathe and cause porosities in the weld making it brittle. You could do a ceramic coating on the exhaust housing of the turbo then a loose turbo blanket, but the micro vibrations on a tight wrap would wear away the coating on a header, so just do a wrap.

If you have a stainless steel manifold then there is less concern of corrosion, but wraps can trap oil and water and moisture. Depending on where you live, wraps can a problem. The skid plate and other barriers will likely protect the wrap if humidity isn’t an issue.

For what it is worth, you could run the car hot then touch the wrap, and it won’t burn you. You won’t be able to do that with a coating. Last thing, some people have problems with too much heat being trapped by combining coatings and wraps or doing double wraps or overlapping the wrap too much.