follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #5419
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Great, thanks for the explanation.

I also once saw a pic of a JDL install where there was some foam installed around the front. It was a while back and I didn't even think of saving that pic.

What is the purpose of the foam installation like that around the front?
I couldn't even guess without actually seeing the picture.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #5420
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Great, thanks for the explanation.

I also once saw a pic of a JDL install where there was some foam installed around the front. It was a while back and I didn't even think of saving that pic.

What is the purpose of the foam installation like that around the front?
Probably something similar to what @ML did, basically replaced the factory pieces with foam to create a passage for the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post
before anyone gets their torches out, this is just a test...of intake temps...because I want to verify what I read online. I have multiple hot things in my engine bay...
Attachment 185313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML View Post

Also I should note that my front area is boxed in (flat bottom not seen as it is attached to the bumper). There is a space between the front bumper and the top aluminum part that creates a low pressure zone (in theory) for the intake air.

Attachment 185498
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #5421
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
You can add the STI OEM cooler just for daily driving. It is very easy and cheap.
I understand that oil coolers cool the engine oil, and hood vents/scoops do nothing to manage engine oil heat.

So what temperature issues are remedied by using louvers/scoops? The heat of the f/i compressor itself? Basically, why are hood louvers/scoops used, other than tmic.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #5422
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
I understand that oil coolers cool the engine oil, and hood vents/scoops do nothing to manage engine oil heat.

So what temperature issues are remedied by using louvers/scoops? The heat of the f/i compressor itself? Basically, why are hood louvers/scoops used, other than tmic.
I think hood vents (louvers/scoops) help cooling the engine by ventilating the engine compartment. Engine itself is cooled by convection and radiation by circulation of air around the outer surface area in addition to internal oil and coolant circulation.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-17-2020), Icecreamtruk (04-22-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #5423
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hood Louvers help by allowing hot air to escape the engine bay. If you've ever driven upwards of 70 or 80 miles per hour in your car and paid attention to the hood it is moving and flexing at that speed. Air comes into the engine bay through the grill, is absorbs heat from the radiator and other coolers you have in the grill and joins the ambient hot air created by the engine. The main cooling benefit of the louvers is allowing the hot air to escape. It increases the efficiency of the radiator, intercooler, oil cooler and allows the hot air to escape.

They additionally have rather substantial aerodynamic benefits as the air under the hood causing it to move around creates what is likely a substantial amount of lift, reducing the traction of the front tires.

You see a lot of modern performance cars with hood vents. GM found their benefit on the Camaro Z28 and applied them to all Camaros going forward. Porsche 911 GT cars have long had vents behind the heat exchangers. The Viper ACR, perhaps the most substantially aerodynamically optimized production car we've seen had hood vents and vents in the fenders to allow air caught in the wheel wells to escape.

I think functionally it is a no brainer modification for track performance, but it does compromise in the looks department as well as create the potential for the elements to get to something in the engine bay you'd rather they not get to.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randoman5 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-17-2020), Icecreamtruk (04-22-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #5424
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post

Flow is as much about what you can get out, as well as in.
Capt Spaulding (04-17-2020), CSG Mike (04-17-2020), mrg666 (04-22-2020), Randoman5 (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #5425
DrivingisReligion
Sleeper

Drives: WRB_BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry if this the wrong place to ask, I have just two questions:

1. Any JRSC owners in St Louis MO area? I would like to get a feel of this FI kit on an 86 before making the jump to FI.

2. Any local tuners experienced with FI on an 86? Or just any good tuner experienced with our cars? I tried talking to a few shops and they are mostly into European and American tuning with a bit of Japanese thrown in but definitely were not interested in my BRZ.
DrivingisReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #5426
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingisReligion View Post

1. Any JRSC owners in St Louis MO area? I would like to get a feel of this FI kit on an 86 before making the jump to FI.

2. Any local tuners experienced with FI on an 86? Or just any good tuner experienced with our cars? I tried talking to a few shops and they are mostly into European and American tuning with a bit of Japanese thrown in but definitely were not interested in my BRZ.
JRSC's can be remotely tuned without issue. Thousands of them have been tuned, and the known range of "what it should be doing" is well documented.

Imagine a well bolted and tuned Honda. That's what the JRSC feels like.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DrivingisReligion (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #5427
peaches

Quote:

Honestly, I don't see the point of having this kit if you don't track the car. It's too much power for city driving; if I try to use half of it I'm over speed limits which is why I rarely get into boost. Passing a car, sure. On-ramp to the highway, of course. Other than that it makes cool noises sometimes.

For spirited driving in the canyons or whatever, I'd rather have an NA setup with headers and E-85. It's expensive and you are increasing the chances of breaking something.

I can only truly enjoy it, safely, on the track. My 2 cents.

CSG can tune it remotely, it's very convenient. The only thing I don't like about it is the logs, taking a log after every update can be a pain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
DrivingisReligion (04-17-2020), HachiRokuX (04-17-2020), mrg666 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #5428
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:

I would get the factory tune and be done with tune. It is good.

Regarding too much power comment, the straight line performance only reaches the level of an STI or Golf R (maybe just a bit more). It is definitely not too much power; a JRSC twin is not even close to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, forget about Corvette. But driving a JRSC twin is so much more fun even within the speed limits in the city or mountain roads. My 2c.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
DrivingisReligion (04-18-2020), HachiRokuX (04-19-2020), J1Avs (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #5429
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I would get the factory tune and be done with tune. It is good.

Regarding too much power comment, the straight line performance only reaches the level of an STI or Golf R (maybe just a bit more). It is definitely not too much power; a JRSC twin is not even close to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, forget about Corvette. But driving a JRSC twin is so much more fun even within the speed limits in the city or mountain roads. My 2c.
Agreed, it's completely manageable power, particular because it's so linear. Yes, its excellent on track, but I still have plenty of fun when I take it out on the street every once in awhile. It' by no means "fast," but it's a bit quicker, and just the right amount of extra power to keep the car feeling like the same car. Throw some e85 in there, and then it gets a bit silly! I couldn't imagine HBP with e85 on track, I feel like the car would want to kill me, unless it had some additional bracing or something like that.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-19-2020), DrivingisReligion (04-21-2020), mrg666 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #5430
peaches

I'm not saying it's not manageable or fun, it drives like a stock car. When I say too much power I mean I don't use most of it on the street unless I'm driving like an idiot, in which case I'm either putting other people in danger or getting a hefty ticket. So why would I pay for the SC and all the supporting mods when I won't use all the power? It's the same thing with a Camaro SS or a Corvette. Awesome fun cars, but unless you take it to the track you won't be using all their power. That's just my opinion, if he wants to get the kit go for it. The factory tune would be the easier thing to do.

If I want to enjoy all the extra power, the track is where it's at. That's why I made the conscious decision to buy this kit instead of selling the car and getting a Cayman. I love how the car comes alive and my consumables are lower than a higher-end car.

HBP and E-85 is totally manageable on track, my car is very stable. I would love to have some aero to lean on. I had Andrew Rains drive it at Sebring in January so I could get some base laps from a more experienced driver as I thought I was underdriving the car. Turns out I'm very close to his pace, just need the dedicated oil cooler so I can push it harder. You can see at the end we had to slow down because they car overheated again.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-19-2020), DrivingisReligion (04-21-2020), J1Avs (04-20-2020), mrg666 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #5431
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
@peaches, don't let the engine overheat. There is creep which is a slow mechanism of deformation that occurs at higher temperature. It adds up every time and you can find yourself with a snapped rod in the end. I would get that oil cooler.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #5432
peaches

Quote:
@peaches, don't let the engine overheat. There is creep which is a slow mechanism of deformation that occurs at higher temperature. It adds up every time and you can find yourself with a snapped rod in the end. I would get that oil cooler.
Next purchase on my list, wouldn't be surprised if there is some damage already so I'll change the internals at some point. Unless it blows first.