follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maintenance Recommendation

Hello there guys! I'm looking for some maintenance recommendations or advice as I'm looking to bring my car in for it's "routine" service within the next week or so! I've so far brought it in during weird times and off-schedule. If you're not into complicated scheduling and dates and different services trying to piece this all together, it's okay to leave now and do not read further lol!

So since I've bought it used I've done...

The 50,000km $115 recommendation at 53,000km (not bad).
Then the 60,000km $750 recommendation at 73,000km! (not ideal 13,000km behind recommended).
Now only four months later, I'm now sitting at about 94,000km (+21,000km) (missing the 80,000 and 90,000 recommendations). I know that's a long time to wait for an oil change especially (21,000km and counting). It's (lol) my work vehicle right now, that's why I'm accumulating (on pace) 50,000km for the year.

As I see it right now, I have 3 options.

1. $115 (basic), recommended for my current 90,000km, but I've also missed the others preceding it..

Services:

- Replace engine oil and filter
- Service battery
- Lubricate all latches, hinges and locks
- Check under body for damage
- Inspect all steering and suspension components
- Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
- Inspect and adjust drive belt tension
- Inspect and adjust rear differential gear oil
- Inspect axle boot condition
- Inspect operation of all lights, wipers and washers
- Inspect tire condition and adjust tire pressures, including spare tire
- Road test

2. $355 (medium), was recommended for 80,000km, it'd give me everything the $115 gives above BUT.... for an extra $240! I'd be getting also

- Remove, inspect and service front and rear brakes (which I think I 95% need complete replacements of anyhow...)
- Test coolant, inspect hoses and clamps, and
- Inspect air filter, replace if necessary.
- Rotate tires and inspect for wear (but I'd be bringing my summers in..)

- Inspect cabin air filter, replace if necessary (I just put a new one in myself..)

Are these 3 things worth the extra $240?

or..

3. $945 (expensive) 100,000km/60 months. The car isn't even at 48 months but it's also coming up to 95,000km now... I know it's (whatever comes first) but still. That's a LOT.

It includes everything 1) and 2) but with the added:

- Replace automatic transmission fluid
- Replace rear differential gear oil
- Replace spark plugs

These 3 added things at 100,000km are worth an extra $600? :o

--

With these 3 options, keep in mind I don't need the rotate tires/inspect for wear (I believe) since by the time I book service, I also wish to have them put my summers back on, potentially with new brake rotors and/or pads, therefore won't be needing those rotating/servicing for the brakes/tires services.

Is there a right or wrong option here? What would anyone do in my situation? Also, it's a 2015 BRZ Auto Transmission (lol don't flame please!)

Again sorry if complicated!

Thanks!
Ari

Last edited by becausethexo; 04-17-2019 at 06:58 AM.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
22R
22R

Drives: 2012 Camry SE 2017 Toyota 86
#1 or better yet go to a local shop you trust and get a oil change and have brakes done if needed. Dealers have priced themselves out of all but warranty work.

22R
22R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 22R For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Can't book until May 7th! That's another 2 and a half weeks, probably another 2,500km on the car until then, bringing the car to about 23,000 km without an oil change by then (5 months). Wish I stayed on top of all of this better.

Last edited by becausethexo; 04-17-2019 at 01:22 PM.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, I suggest you take it into a local shop and have the oil and filter changed right away. That shouldn't take more than an hour.

For the rest of it, I'd suggest you just follow the maintenance schedule that came with the car.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You definitely want to have your transmission and diff fluid changed, on a street driven car they should be changed every 60k miles or 100k kilometers.

You REALLY need an oil change. That's very important and like @humfrz said, you can go get that done even at a half-ass decent quick lube place in under an hour, then consider the rest.

Maintenance is largely about inspection. Here in my city we have a DIY garage with mechanics who work in it as well for much lower shop labor rates than any dealership (usually half or less). You should really familiarize yourself with your own car. If you have a local DIY/hobby garage, you should call them on the phone and see if you can schedule to come in for 2 hours which should give you enough time to do an oil change and have them help you learn how to inspect everything else and then ask if they can do the diff and ATF change for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Every person ought to be able to do an oil change on their own car, and contrary to the lies a service advisor at the dealership will tell you it in no way can impact your warranty coverage in any civilized country.

Given all the items in the list, the ones you should absolutely have done (roughly in order of importance for safe operation of the vehicle):

* Brakes (whatever is necessary)
* Oil & Oil Filter Change
* Tire tread depth check and pressure check (you can do this in your driveway, and should do it regularly anyway...)

* Diff Fluid Change
* Trans Fluid Change
* Spark Plugs (if they need it).

Don't neglect your car, and don't pay stealership prices for basic maintenance. You can probably have a local shop do everything for you for less than $400, including spark plugs.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-07-2021), humfrz (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:03 AM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Dam bro! What kind of face do you have?
Does it say "chump" on your forehead or something? Do salespeople's eyes sparkle when ever you walk in?

Dude. You do know that you can do most of that on the street? A simple YouTube-ing can guide you through it.

Oil change, dude come on now. Your grandmother can do that with a beer in one hand.

Also any local mechanic can do all that cheap.
The only thing I would take it in for is the tranny flush. You can do it your self but it's a pain.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Dam bro! What kind of face do you have?
Does it say "chump" on your forehead or something? Do salespeople's eyes sparkle when ever you walk in?

Dude. You do know that you can do most of that on the street? A simple YouTube-ing can guide you through it.

Oil change, dude come on now. Your grandmother can do that with a beer in one hand.

Also any local mechanic can do all that cheap.
The only thing I would take it in for is the tranny flush. You can do it your self but it's a pain.
DANG, @Mr.ac , I'd you for that post, but, since you obviously are having a bad day, I won't -

Not all people are mechanically inclined.

Some folks are just intimidated by modern automotive engines.

Some people (like me) know how to do that automotive stuff - but are just too lazy.

Are Civics easier to work on?

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 04-19-2019 at 01:29 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
3rd/4th recommendation to finding an independent shop to do the work. I'd recommend doing at a minimum, the oil, rear diff fluid, and spark plugs.

The rest of the list is mostly inspection items, which if you're capable of changing your own cabin filter, you should be plenty capable of looking at yourself.
finch1750 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #9
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I recommend servicing your vehicle better than you have been.

However you get it serviced doesn't really matter.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-19-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 03:09 AM   #10
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@becausethexo Again for independent shop. Buy all your parts beforehand. If you're getting your transmission or differential service done, then you might need to buy some washers for the drain / fill, specific size and type so order through OEM or get an equivalent part from Belmetric or McMaster Carr.

If costs are a concern then get the jobs done as you can afford them instead of all at once. Buying the parts you need beforehand (including oil from walmart) makes this a bit easier.

$945 for all that service actually sounds like a ok deal. Spark plugs on this car justifies $400 of the price. Also don't forget that price is before tax.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
3rd/4th recommendation to finding an independent shop to do the work. I'd recommend doing at a minimum, the oil, rear diff fluid, and spark plugs.

The rest of the list is mostly inspection items, which if you're capable of changing your own cabin filter, you should be plenty capable of looking at yourself.
^that

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
at 50k I would personally just change the oil (which is actually what I did at 50k) I waited until about 59k-60k and got all the stuff on the 60k service taken care of which is primarily: Engine oil replace +filter, replace transmission fluid, brake fluid replace, inspection.

I'm pretty sure diff fluid wasn't changed at 60k but I could be mistaken. Also be aware your TOB might be nearing the end of its life if you still have the original version of the part so consider getting a new clutch kit in the next 20k.

Best advice I have is to agree with others and find a local shop that does good work on this platform. Also if your up to it, try looking into changing the oil your self. It really isn't hard and is satisfying, that knowledge and skill alone will save you some serious cash long term.

Unless you have aftermarket engine air filter you should be fine with leaving that in. Probably worth it to change the cabin air filter, I've had great results with fram on that.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Dealership service writers are salesmen and an important part of the bottom line. Also, few dealers will hire a mechanic who can't cut flat rate close to half. IMO dealers are for warranty work only. Avoid them when possible. Find a good independent for everything else. Some won't install customer-supplied parts though. When I get aftermarket parts that I can't install myself, I offer to let my wrench order them and take his commission, but he rarely does.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qwimby1 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (03-07-2021)