follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #29
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
We still talking about the car with expensive "pretty parts" added on that got it's ass handed to it by a miata that spent it's money on performance instead of aero? Toyota Racing Developement for the FRS is a joke. I'm hoping it changes, but I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully the aftermarket has jumped in where toyota failed. I see the twins turning a lot of heads in the racing world in the next couple years, and it won't be because of Toyota or Subaru.

Two words,

The Griffon

you can't sit there and tell me that this is a joke.

This is arguably the best 86 out there. And what's even more amazing, not only is it a track beast, it's also an R and D vehicle. So some if not all, of it's parts will soon be available for purchase.

TRD is not slouching here.

it just takes time.
Fly Guy (05-13-2014), Zaku (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #30
NemesisPrime909

Quote:
Originally Posted by indesign View Post
It's a body kit, just like the 5 Axis. Pay per addon. Some people are willing to spend the extra price.
agreed.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
Two words,

The Griffon

you can't sit there and tell me that this is a joke.

This is arguably the best 86 out there. And what's even more amazing, not only is it a track beast, it's also an R and D vehicle. So some if not all, of it's parts will soon be available for purchase.

TRD is not slouching here.

it just takes time.

I can sum your posts up in one word: "troll"

Guess what the griffon doesn't have? (Pointless aero)

And guess what they got rid of (weight)

It's been fun, "dude,". But I am done feeding you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #32
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:

Sorry to jump in, but I've been following you two's convo, and I have this question about something. When you say that the TRD aero is pointless, is there any evidence that it's purely cosmetic? is it really not good for anything at all aside from looks and weight? because I like to argue with you on the fact that it's not pointless, that it has function. I can't make the argument that it's something in your face speed or lightness or anything but just the normal better airflow etc, I need to research about this alittle more to get super technical. But I like to think that Toyota when they made the TRD aero they tested it and it wasn't pointless. I can't speak about the USD copy, I don't even think the quads are the same thing, but I know for a fact Toyota spends time researching and testing for example the NUR kit was in fact tested in Germany.

So just for knowledge at least for me, mind telling me why the TRD kit is pointless? because I've been following this car since it's conception on paper, and I know for a fact they tested the TRD kit several times, I'm speaking for the Japanese part they based it on. It's differences are very minimal to what is one the RS1.0.

Why is the aero on the Yellow car pointless? Thanks.

Respectfully,

Zaku

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #33
NemesisPrime909

Quote:

I'm no troll

-I saw that you were writing the 1.0 off because of it's bodykit.

-I told you it's fine that you don't like it, just don't piss on other people who like it.

-You continued on, saying that the "useless bodykit" adds weight

-I told you that a lot of things add weight, and getting all bent out of shape just because less than 100lbs (arguably less than 50lbs) was added is basically pointless

-You then go on to complain about Toyota's support for the FR-S/86. You say it has been a joke, and they ultimately failed. You praised the aftermarket for stepping up.

-I point out that TRD support for the FR-S/86 has been great, citing the Griffon car as evidence of their developments.

-You call me a troll, and say the Griffon apparently doesn't count because it's has a gutted interior and functional aerodynamics.

We were(are?) debating. I came into thins knowing I would never convince you to like it. I was merely discussing the topic. I never once insulted you. I merely disagreed.

If you would like to continue I'll point this out.

True the Griffon has Aero, and a gutted interior, but it's still a TRD vehicle. And I think it's credible evidence that TRD supports and is developing for the FR-S/86, therefore negating your claim that TRD is a "Joke."

Just because the RS 1.0 isn't a factory-built track monster doesn't mean it's pointless. I pointed it out earlier that some people don't go to track days, or care about going faster. Some just like cruising.

also it occurred to me,

How do we know the aero isn't functional? I can't find any records of a wind tunnel test.

so in reality, that claim is unproven until some tests can be done.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #34
NemesisPrime909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Sorry to jump in, but I've been following you two's convo, and I have this question about something. When you say that the TRD aero is pointless, is there any evidence that it's purely cosmetic? is it really not good for anything at all aside from looks and weight? because I like to argue with you on the fact that it's not pointless, that it has function. I can't make the argument that it's something in your face speed or lightness or anything but just the normal better airflow etc, I need to research about this alittle more to get super technical. But I like to think that Toyota when they made the TRD aero they tested it and it wasn't pointless. I can't speak about the USD copy, I don't even think the quads are the same thing, but I know for a fact Toyota spends time researching and testing for example the NUR kit was in fact tested in Germany.

So just for knowledge at least for me, mind telling me why the TRD kit is pointless? because I've been following this car since it's conception on paper, and I know for a fact they tested the TRD kit several times, I'm speaking for the Japanese part they based it on. It's differences are very minimal to what is one the RS1.0.

Respectfully,

Zaku
Damn, you beat me to it.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #35
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 View Post
Damn, you beat me to it.
I like one of the things you mentioned, I don't think you're a troll I've seen you here long enough to know you make good educated posts. The other guy too, thought I know him to a lesser extent.

The comment where it's not a track monster, and it's just for cursing and fun. This is where my support of the cabriolet comes from too, I don't think people will buy it to track, most people don't, it's their DD. Heck people who have FRS now or BRZ, not everyone tracks it. I never tracked my BRZ once, if you autocross for example, I don't think it's gonna matter if you have a TRD kit or not. I've seen OLD AE86 out autocross our 86, but that's a whole matter entirely. That car does have some performance enhancements, isn't that Quad better than the stock? isn't a aero kit on a car have some purpose?, also there's no confirmation if the car will have the TRD wheel and Stickier tire option either. The TRD springs on the yellow car I'm sure isn't just for show, you will get some performance benefits out of it. If the car was perfect as it is, then they'll be no need for aftermarket support and R&D to make it better.

Now I like it the way it is too, but I really like it that everyone has a choice and variety. I don't see how the extra items that come with the Yellow car, makes it any less of a performance car, then the stock. And honestly if weight was such a big issue, in Daily driving, I would do what the F1 drivers do eat less lol, I'm a pretty skinny guy but I think that Alonso guy weight even less than I do.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdebo42 View Post
From what little information I've seen or heard I think it'll just be like a TRD version of a Monogram FRS. So the seats probably are leather and heated. But I could be completely wrong. The yellow looks cool though, it'll probably be like the Voltage TC that came out a while ago.

The High Voltage yellow on the tC is different than the FR-S Yuzu. Yuzu is a brighter yellow.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #37
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
It does not have heated leather seats which would also add to the weight.

As far as why some people are so upset at these models I can't say its something new. I'm sure it's partially buyers remorse for getting an FR-S so early.

Also most things from TRD do help aero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #38
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrqb22 View Post
any thoghts on the yellow 1.0. I am goign to upt a deposit down on it as soon as it becomes avalible.

Does anyone know if it is goign to come with options like the TRDwheels or heated leather seats.

I just sold my white out so I hae the money for hte down payment. I lovee the body kit and the quad tip exchasust.

I wold love to add the GPS , heated leather seats and the subwoofer. anhyone with an info let me know.

That wouls be great sorry if there is already a thread abiout this I just couldnt find it.

Thanks
Dan

It doesn't come with heated seats, it's closer to the 10 Series than the Monogram -with a body kit, yuzu yellow instead of silver ignition, quad tip exhaust instead of light up badges and limited to 1,500 instead of 2,500.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #39
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter View Post
It does not have heated leather seats which would also add to the weight.

As far as why some people are so upset at these models I can't say its something new. I'm sure it's partially buyers remorse for getting an FR-S so early.

Also most things from TRD do help aero.

I have ZERO buyers remorse. Not a bit actually.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #40
suaveflooder

scion yellow release selease series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post

Respectfully,

Zaku
I guess the best way of answering your question is explaining what I've learned working on my cobra setting it up for tracking. Sorry about the pics, they are a picture of a picture, but I used what I could

Think of aero in terms of low pressure and high pressure on the car. Here is what I think is a TRD body kit. I marked the pressure with red being the high pressure and green being low pressure.

Here's why the griffon works

The canards create the downforce for the front and the wing sits right in the high pressure area coming off the roof. You now have a low pressure spot UNDER the car, pushing the car down (good thing).

I WANT THAT HOOD as it is a true heat extractor hood and creates a low presseure area behind the radiator, literally sucking the hot air from the engine and pulling air from the radiator (which faces slightly upward) They used aero to their advantage to cool the car.

If you think about the car in terms of low pressure and high pressure areas, you can answer your own question on whether or not the 1.0 series is fuctional. Of course any aero is going to do something, but in the 1.0 series and the TRD kit, not much.

All the stuff coming out of these cars DID have a racing start, but MOST of the front lips people are putting on these cars aren't functional. They look cool, but they aren't doing what they are supposed to. IMHO function over form. I'll take something that ACTUALLY WORKS over something that looks cool.

It's the reason why I went with a wing that was taped on….so I could bolt on a fuctional wing in the future and pull the stillen wing off. I also plan on putting on a fuctional lip, which looks like it's about to come out by one of our forum venders. Stoked!

I hope all that makes sense.

Last edited by suaveflooder; 05-12-2014 at 02:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #41
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
It's a bit unfair to go TRD kit vs. Revision 3 Griffon. TRD was done during the early stages of development. While rev.3 is now almost 2 full years of post development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidrifter For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #42
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter View Post
It's a bit unfair to go TRD kit vs. Revision 3 Griffon. TRD was done during the early stages of development. While rev.3 is now almost 2 full years of post development.
How do you figure? We are comparing aero, not cars. I actually almost just posted a normal 86 with good aero on it. @NemesisPrime909 brought the griffon into it, so I figured I would use it. I can go back and find that picture if it would make you feel better. What better way to show someone how to do something correctly, then giving them a correct example and explaining HOW it works.

Once you see HOW the griffon works, you can look back on the TRD and see griffon influences (honestly, it might be the other way around. TRD kit came first), but see why they don't really work. The TRD parts, for the most part, are just pretty little posers. Which is why toyota sells so much of it. It looks good! And it LOOKS a lot like their race car.

Example:
My stillen wing is a smaller verson of a fully functional wing, so it has "racing influence" but it's not really doing much. It would have to be a good 5 to 10 times bigger to actually work and create usable downforce on the rear end.