follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #29
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
What kind of price range would you guys consider as reasonable?

A simple product designed to be cost effective, is going to be nowhere near the same cost as one designed with performance as the top priority and feature rich.

Where we end up on this scale could mean a final product in the $400-to-$600 range. Looking for feedback on what the majority here considers to be a priority.
To consider an investment, we need to know what we might be getting! It'd be nice to know if it'll clear common aftermarket headers too. Not knowing if the Full lown pan clears my EL JDL turbo manifold has kept me from buying.

Just more fluid capacity would be nice..
Old 10-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #30
sns.brz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

A simple product designed to be cost effective, is going to be nowhere near the same cost as one designed with performance as the top priority and feature rich.

Where we end up on this scale could mean a final product in the $400-to-$600 range. Looking for feedback on what the majority here considers to be a priority.
IMO $400-600 is totally reasonable for a good oil pan with increased oil capacity and baffling. Oil pan is one of those things I just want to do it once and do it right.

For those who wants a more cost-effective solution, there are oil pan baffles existing in the market for ~$150-200.

I'd love to see if the increased oil capacity can keep the oil temp in check for a little longer, so I can avoid going with an external oil cooler.

Pre-order soon?
sns.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #31
Jianlun

Drives: GR86 RC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

The alternatives prices are here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...M6eFkJnNA0gTDz

I would love if the price is below 400.
Jianlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #32
zeroomega

Drives: Supra MKV, FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If the pan is proved to solve the problems (e.g. oil pressure drops under lateral Gs) I think $400-$600 is fair. For the references, the STI oil pan with baffle is around $328 ($450 after DHL shipping)s under current currency exchange rate (but this part is unobtainable for now). The Syms FA24 oil pan with baffle is $245 USD ($350 after shipping). We don't know if they really work though.
zeroomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #33
KillerBMotorsport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Just an update for those following...

We're going to be starting preliminary bench testing soon for 5 different products.

- High Flow Oil Pickup: FA24. This is going to be more for the adventurous tinkerer or for those that have the engine out for rebuild or upgrades.

- Oil Pickup Pre-Filter: This addresses the concern with shedding silicone obstructing oil flow in the OEM oil pickup. Oddly enough, this may also address an interesting observation we've recently made; oil funneling. As oil drains back from the left head it causes swirl in the lower pan that reduces the oil level in the center near the pickup. Normally, not an issue, but under severe side loads if the oil drops enough, the funneling can cause premature starvation. This pre-filter should disrupt that rotational flow. We shall see!

Oil Pan Spacer: Increases OEM capacity to 6 quarts, but more specifically it increases oil level at the pickup (lower pan). It also provides a small barrier that should reduce slosh to the sides and into the timing cover.

Oil Baffle: Of course, the goal here is to address the pressure drops seen on track. From preliminary bench testing we've made some interesting observations that make me scratch my head as to why the current offerings look the way they do. Ours will look quite different, but maybe that will evolve through testing. It's a part that requires pretty vigorous testing.

High Performance Oil Pan: Higher capacity, proper baffles, CC venting, additional ports for sensors, and drain options.

As usual, comments, questions, or concerns, are welcome.

KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-06-2022), DocWalt (12-06-2022), Jianlun (12-06-2022), jongers (12-26-2022), Stonehorsw (12-10-2022), timurrrr (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #34
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Have you mounted the engine fitted with a spacer into a car yet?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:32 PM   #35
Tr4ck_day

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:

We're going to be starting preliminary bench testing soon for 5 different products.

- High Flow Oil Pickup: FA24. This is going to be more for the adventurous tinkerer or for those that have the engine out for rebuild or upgrades.

- Oil Pickup Pre-Filter: This addresses the concern with shedding silicone obstructing oil flow in the OEM oil pickup. Oddly enough, this may also address an interesting observation we've recently made; oil funneling. As oil drains back from the left head it causes swirl in the lower pan that reduces the oil level in the center near the pickup. Normally, not an issue, but under severe side loads if the oil drops enough, the funneling can cause premature starvation. This pre-filter should disrupt that rotational flow. We shall see!

Oil Pan Spacer: Increases OEM capacity to 6 quarts, but more specifically it increases oil level at the pickup (lower pan). It also provides a small barrier that should reduce slosh to the sides and into the timing cover.

Oil Baffle: Of course, the goal here is to address the pressure drops seen on track. From preliminary bench testing we've made some interesting observations that make me scratch my head as to why the current offerings look the way they do. Ours will look quite different, but maybe that will evolve through testing. It's a part that requires pretty vigorous testing.

High Performance Oil Pan: Higher capacity, proper baffles, CC venting, additional ports for sensors, and drain options.

Obviously when it comes to testing for products like these, there is no way to know for sure how long it will take. However, with all your experience developing products for other cars in the past, what sort of timeline do you anticipate until the release of the pan, baffle, and filter? I have a car that I am tracking fairly regularly and I would really like to get properly protected before too much longer.
Tr4ck_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #36
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:

What will the " high capacity pan" have for capacity? Do you have any testing lined up potentially to see what common manifolds / headers it clears? I'm in, if it can clear my JDL turbo manifold
Old 12-07-2022, 07:50 AM   #37
KillerBMotorsport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Have you mounted the engine fitted with a spacer into a car yet?
On an engine, yes. On an engine in a chassis, not yet, but soon.

We've laser scanned all the parts involved, so fitment should go smoothly on car, but you truly never know until you put them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ck_day View Post
what sort of timeline do you anticipate until the release of the pan, baffle, and filter?
The baffle and pre-filter are coming first. Ideally, were ready for beta testers in about 4 weeks. The pan is going to be further out. It's still early in the design phase. Plus, it will be a cast aluminum piece, and casting just takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get going initially. We do however typically make some rapid prototype castings for alpha and beta testing. We can usually get our hands on those in ~4 weeks once we're ready to pull the trigger on the final design.

I really hate to speculate on the pan release, but likely summer/fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ck_day View Post
I have a car that I am tracking fairly regularly and I would really like to get properly protected before too much longer.
I speculate that the spacer, baffle, and filter, should provide you with a decent improvement in oil control, until the pan is released. It's not going to be the upper echelon of performance that our pan should provide, but still a measurable improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What will the " high capacity pan" have for capacity? Do you have any testing lined up potentially to see what common manifolds / headers it clears? I'm in, if it can clear my JDL turbo manifold
Our typical MO is to take everything we know, add the parameters from enthusiast feedback, like in this thread for example, and start there. Performance it prioritized over things like 'cooling' fins, but if the design has enough flexibility to do everything, that's what we'll try to do.

I'd like to see at least 6 quarts. From experience, we know the more oil the better. It drops engine oil temps, improves supply stability under severe lateral loads, and the oil condition is improved over time (more oil doing less work). It's always a balancing act. More oil does you no good if it's not controlled and you have starvation. So, you may trade some capacity for oil control features. On the headers, it's tough to make everyone happy. Typically, we start with a design based around OEM components on the engine, including OEM header with heat shields. For the most part this works with most mainstream headers. If one of the very popular headers does not fit, we'll typically make some adjustments to accommodate it. Again, it's a balancing act.

KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (12-07-2022), dragoontwo (12-07-2022), jongers (12-26-2022), mycrors7 (12-27-2022), Stonehorsw (12-10-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #38
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The baffle and pre-filter are coming first.
What about the spacer?

Quote:
If one of the very popular headers does not fit, we'll typically make some adjustments to accommodate it. Again, it's a balancing act.
Need any headers sent in?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #39
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
it's tough to make everyone happy. Typically, we start with a design based around OEM components on the engine, including OEM header with heat shields. For the most part this works with most mainstream headers. If one of the very popular headers does not fit, we'll typically make some adjustments to accommodate it. Again, it's a balancing act.

I wholly respect the position you're in as an aftermarket manufacturer. Please let me know if there's anything I can do, I'm sure you have several members here who are ready to either test fit or send things to you. Whether or not it's worth the effort for you all or actually helpful isn't something I could know. My car will be on jack stands for the next 4-5 months (gen 1 early 2013 MY though) and I'm not opposed to being under the car measuring things. Just thankful you're here at all trying to provide support to our little niche of the world
Old 12-22-2022, 08:31 PM   #40
LateOnTheBrakes

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I saw the oil pickup prefilter video on YouTube. Beta testing in January?

The spacer would be interesting if it was machined for a captured o-ring on both sides to eliminate the need for rtv.
LateOnTheBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:23 AM   #41
Kamber

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking forward to the oil pan as long as it is compatible with JDL catted UEL headers!

When released, will the “upper echelon” pan incorporate or come with features that render the pre-filter and baffle redundant? Or will those items still add meaningful improvement when used with the pan?
Kamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:14 AM   #42
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
definitely interested in the oil pan once it's ready. im assuming itll have a built-in baffle?

Will the oil pan also have increased oil capacity?
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote